• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Reactions

aco175

Legend
I would rule yes, thinking that it would trigger before the penalty of not being able to make reactions. I can see it the other way with the spell being one of the few things that bypass the ability and thus be a favorite of wizards dealing with thieves.

Fanaelialae

Legend
Yes. Uncanny Dodge triggers in response to being hit, which is before damage (and other effects) are applied.

The Shield spell also triggers on being hit, and can negate an attack entirely. It would be difficult to argue that you can't cast Shield in response to Shocking Grasp. Therefore, Uncanny Dodge should work as well.

Yes. Uncanny Dodge triggers in response to being hit, which is before damage (and other effects) are applied.

The Shield spell also triggers on being hit, and can negate an attack entirely. It would be difficult to argue that you can't cast Shield in response to Shocking Grasp. Therefore, Uncanny Dodge should work as well.

Makes sense. Thanks!

delericho

Legend

This.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
There's nothing difficult about it at all...You are hit by the Shocking Grasp...

Shocking Grasp specifically states you can not take reactions...hence, the reaction you need to set off Uncanny Dodge (or Shield, for that matter) is negated.

The answer, very clearly, is no. You can't. Because you are being hit, specifically, with Shocking Grasp. You can/are standing there going, "ZzzGGrrZzzAARRrrggZZZzzgggZZzZz." That is what your "reaction" is doing that turn.

Oofta

Legend
Reactions happen after the triggering event unless they specifically state otherwise. Shield specifically states that it applies to the attack that triggered it.

Uller

Adventurer
There's nothing difficult about it at all...You are hit by the Shocking Grasp...

Shocking Grasp specifically states you can not take reactions...hence, the reaction you need to set off Uncanny Dodge (or Shield, for that matter) is negated.

The answer, very clearly, is no. You can't. Because you are being hit, specifically, with Shocking Grasp. You can/are standing there going, "ZzzGGrrZzzAARRrrggZZZzzgggZZzZz." That is what your "reaction" is doing that turn.

Saying there is nothing difficult about it after two people just gave very sensible rules based rationale for the opposite indicates that there is something difficult about it. I don't necessarily disagree with your answer...If I'm a player at your table and that's how you describe it then I'd accept it

Although another way to look at it is that the rogue moves at the last second _before_ being hit so is hit for a shorter period of time or in a less vulnerable spot...but I think this is going to vary from DM to DM. I'd allow it. When in doubt I allow an ability to be used rather than not used...The end result is about the same...just a little bit less damage and the rogue can't take reactions until his or her next turn. Not a hill worth dying on.

Bad Fox

First Post
Saying there is nothing difficult about it after two people just gave very sensible rules based rationale for the opposite indicates that there is something difficult about it. I don't necessarily disagree with your answer...If I'm a player at your table and that's how you describe it then I'd accept it

Although another way to look at it is that the rogue moves at the last second _before_ being hit so is hit for a shorter period of time or in a less vulnerable spot...but I think this is going to vary from DM to DM. I'd allow it. When in doubt I allow an ability to be used rather than not used...The end result is about the same...just a little bit less damage and the rogue can't take reactions until his or her next turn. Not a hill worth dying on.

I agreed, this comes across as a solid interpretation, but the description of Uncanny Dodge is pretty clear: "...when an attacher that you can see hits you with an attack..."

Uncanny Dodge doesn't kick in until you're hit, and Shocking Grasp prevents all reactions once you've been hit. Getting hit triggers Shocking Grasps special effect, which prevents Uncanny Dodge from being used.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?

It seems to me that if this reasoning were correct, then Uncanny Dodge would never work. Because if it requires you to use your reactions after the effects of the attack have been applied, then it would happen after the damage is already dealt, and it doesn't say anything about healing. If the DM at my table ruled UD didn't work here, I wouldn't argue about it. But if it were justified by this reasoning I would be skeptical.

Remove ads