• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Read #4750 last night

Rasyr

Banned
Banned
mirthcard said:
Well, we officially have one week left in August, so I thought this thread deserved a *BUMP*!!! Anyone think Wizards is going to delay it again? I don't, but I wondered what others thought.

NO idea if there will be any sort of official delay or not, but Anthony Valterra is going on vacation within the next day or two (he announced it on one of the OGL lists). According to the email, he is on vacation until after Labor Day.

So... that means that they have either finished the selection process and that somebody at WOTC will be spending enxt week sending out notifications, or that they have not finished and that the final selections will be waiting until September.....

Personally, I am hoping for the first possibility. Then, at least the wait wll be over...........

mirthcard said:

On another note, BigFreekinGoblinoid, I will take you up on your bet. I have a feeling that Wizards wants a 3rd edition "generic" setting and not a niche setting like Athas, and I'm willing to put my copper pieces where my mouth is. Let's Roll!

Jay

I wouldn't call Scarred Lands or Dragonlance "Niche". But... It's on! You are victim number 1. :D

Goodluck!

Last edited:

Mirth

Explorer
BigFreekinGoblinoid said:

I wouldn't call Scarred Lands or Dragonlance "Niche". But... It's on! You are victim number 1. :D

Goodluck!

I see that you changed your original post to mention Scarred Lands and Dragonlance. Perhaps we need a clarification of the bet, or else we should call it off. I understood you to be saying that Wizards would be, in your opinion, choosing a post apocalyptic setting to finally publish. I would definitely lump Athas/Dark Sun (niche) and Scarred Lands (not niche) into this category.

However, I would not put Dragonlance there. They could very well choose a story-driven setting like DL and, in fact, one of my two submissions to the "contest" bets on this.

So, are we talking post apocalyptic or not?

Jay

p.s. Please don't take this post as a slam or a binding contract. I understand it's a friendly wager. Honestly, I'm just glad to be talking about something rather than simply BUMPing this thread.

Staffan

Legend
bwgwl said:

i'm most definitely not a Dark Sun guru, but from what i recall there was:

1) "defiling" magic that turned a previously lush and fertile planet into a world-spanning desert

2) a genocide that wiped out many traditional races (gnomes, goblins, orcs, trolls, etc.)
... and most of the large-scale defiling responsible for the sorry state of today's Athas took place during the genocidal wars. Afterwards, wizard magic has mostly been supressed, so the wizards roaming the world today pretty much just prevent recovery and don't really make it much worse.

Irysangel

First Post
But if you think about it....

Exploring ruins of old crumbling cities and finding lost treasure is one of the staples of D&D. I think that's why there are so many 'post-apocalyptic' flavored worlds out there, and why I think there's room for more.

After all, I would find it very dull if my DM had us raid the local K-Mart for lost treasure. "Oooo look! I found a hay-penny!" Something has to be lost or forgotten or ruined for there to be, well, RUINS!

Just my two cents (or is it a haypenny?)

EOL

First Post
I posted a thread awhile ago asking people to guess the date, and I updated it with some information AV posted on the OGL list, basically that he's going on vacation. Rather than give you the specifics I'll refer you to that thread and maybe while you're there you can take a guess. :)

Setting Search Contest

mirthcard said:

I see that you changed your original post to mention Scarred Lands and Dragonlance. Perhaps we need a clarification of the bet, or else we should call it off. I understood you to be saying that Wizards would be, in your opinion, choosing a post apocalyptic setting to finally publish. I would definitely lump Athas/Dark Sun (niche) and Scarred Lands (not niche) into this category.

However, I would not put Dragonlance there. They could very well choose a story-driven setting like DL and, in fact, one of my two submissions to the "contest" bets on this.

So, are we talking post apocalyptic or not?

Jay

p.s. Please don't take this post as a slam or a binding contract. I understand it's a friendly wager. Honestly, I'm just glad to be talking about something rather than simply BUMPing this thread.

Hi Jay- ( and anyone else that might want to bet - 9 spots left! )

I really don't know anything about Dragonlance, but in a post above, someone else ( Celebrim ) described DL as a "post-mid apocalypse setting".

Just to be clear, our bet is whether or not the eventual chosen campaign world by WotC will be a post apocalyptic event setting...

We can arrange for a ENmessage board
poll if there is any dispute on the outcome!

Celebrim

Legend
To clarify (for those that might forget), Krynn was at the time of Chronicles both a world that had yet to recover from an ancient apocalyptic event AND a world that was in the middle of experiencing a second apocalyptic event. The first event was the breaking of the world 300 years ago in an event called the Cataclysm which resulted in most of the higher cultures of Krynn being either destroyed (thus Krynn is littered with the ruins of complete cities) or isolated by new and challenging geology. Simulateously, all the Gods withdrew from the world leaving it without divine spells, which probably resulted in a significant reduction in everyone's standard of living (no Cure Disease, for instance). At the beginning of the story, the appocalypse is winding to its conclusion with the Return of Tahakis the Dark Queen in a contest that will decide presumably whether the next era of Krynn is dominated by darkness or light. Thus, we see the world overrun by Dragons and Devils with only a small select remenant capable (with a little nudging from Palatine) of defeating the armies of evil.

Sound mid-post appocalyptic to you?

One question is whether or not any D&D setting has ever not been post appocalyptic, and whether or not ANYONE submitted an ideal for a setting that didn't include some appocalyptic elements? For instance, (though I didn't submit for lack of time), in my setting there have been at least two appocalyptic world shattering events, the most significant of which was The Iconocaust. I suspect everyone falls into that sort of derivative, in part because they are subconsciously modeling literature based off the ideology of the Middle Ages and Reinassance (when people really felt like survivors of the end of the world and were awaiting 'the next big one').

Irysangel

First Post
Question of the Day!

Since we're obsessing as the end of August draws nigh....

To quote the Wizards.com webpage:

"...we will be notifying by the end of August those people who will be asked to go on to the second round of proposals."

Now, does this mean that they are only notifying those that they selected, or everyone that entered? And if they asked those that were selected not to say anything, I wonder how much longer the suspense will really go on?

Curiouser and Curiouser....

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads