• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Reading a scroll while invisible?

Magic Rub

First Post
Bonedagger said:
Good idea. Why couldn't people just have accepted that magic can't be explained from the beginning instead of starting talking about "bending of light".

That's what I had said. :)

Magic Rub said:
...Caliban's & other interp's like his are correct...

Originally posted by Caliban
...In this case it causes light to bend around the target (or pass through the target without being stopped, or however you want to define it)...

By this I think he means that it doesn't really matter how it's done, it just is. Which is also what you & I are both saying. It seems Caliban was just giving the people who wanted the answer to "why will this spell work" something to chew on so there heads wouldn't explode trying to figure out how "Magic really works".

Originally posted by Caliban
......Why aren't you blind when you turn invisible? It's magic. (Seriously!)...

See...:)

Yes it does, a deaf spellcaster has a set chance to screw up verbal components (or at least used to in the rules) I used that same chance of failure for somatic components if you cannot see yourself. Then there is the material component problem. It hards to grab the right component when the pouch it invisible and swinging around while you are flying. Finally reading scrolls is just completely out.

Sure you can get around it with verbal only spells and wands but at least the overkill power of this combination has been reduced.

Thanee said:

That does not prevent this combination in any way...

Bye
Thanee

Cl1mh4224rd

First Post
Nail said:
Y'all need to read some Aristotle an' a bit o' Plato. Modern physics has nothing t' do wit' th' fantasy world and its magic. Get over it.
first, though, i think you might need to realize that any application of physics that was going on here was just a mental exercise and was for fun.

technically, yes, an invisible person would be blind, but i would be pretty disturbed if anyone actually played it like that...

Magic Rub

First Post
Bonedagger said:
Magic Rub:
I never saw a problem with invisibility just being mindaltering.

Cool, what ever works for you. :)

Have you looked at the now infamous Sean. K. Ryenolds rant on invisibility?

Nail

First Post
Cl1mh4224rd said:
first, though, i think you might need to realize that any application of physics that was going on here was just a mental exercise and was for fun.

<sputters> Fun??! People were tryin' t' have FUN? I'll smack 'em up-side th' head! Fun....bah!

Here's th' thing: Magic is much more easily based on Aristotlian natural philosophy, rather than Modern Quantum Physics. In fact, Plato's forms are likely where some of th' concepts for illusions and glammers and such came from. Glammers affect the image of the object, but not the object itself. Pretty clear, really.

In essence, all things are made of a form that has properties. One of the properties most Aristotilian forms have is "image" (or color). It's a property that can be removed or changed. Photons and electromagnetic waves don't enter into it; hence no need to explain light as being "bent". Photons don't exist.

I really don't care how you explain it...jus' as long as you don't draw some erroneous rule-assumptions from it. ("I'm blind 'cause I'm invisible!") But I'll betcha that if you used the reasoning of all those ancient dead Greek guys, you wouldn't have so much of a problem.

Last edited:

Bonedagger

First Post
Magic Rub said:

Cool, what ever works for you. :)

Have you looked at the now infamous Sean. K. Ryenolds rant on invisibility?

Yes. And it's cool if that works for you. :)

(He had a problem in a theoretical sense about magic :rolleyes: )

Nail said:

I really don't care how you explain it...jus' as long as you don't draw some erroneous rule-assumptions from it. ("I'm blind 'cause I'm invisible!")

Please, tell me how else I can run my game to meet your standards Nail. I don't think I could live knowing I was using a rule of which you didn't approve.

Sejs

First Post
LoL, so I gotta ask - if i put a point into Speak Language and chose braille, then scribed my own scrolls in said language, could I read them while invisible?

Sorry, I had to ask. I'll go back to my corner now and stop being a dork.

^_^

0-hr

Starship Cartographer
Sejs said:
LoL, so I gotta ask - if i put a point into Speak Language and chose braille, then scribed my own scrolls in said language, could I read them while invisible?
Sorry but, unless you're a bard, it's going to cost you two points to do that. :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads