• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Reading Group--Caesar's Legion

SHARK

First Post
Greetings!

Chapter XI: The Battle of Pharsalus

"Now, as Centurion Crastinus stood with his men of the 10th Legion in the front line, a familiar voice away to his right called him by name. "'What hopes for victory, Gaius Crastinus? What grounds for encouragement?'"

The centurion's head whipped around, to see Caesar riding along the front line towards him accompanied by his staff officers.

"'Victory will be yours, Caesar,"' said Crastinus. According to Plutarch, he reached out his right hand toward his general in a form of salute, adding, "'You will conquer gloriously today."'

"As he returned to his position on the right wing, Caesar passed Centurion Crastinus once again. "'General,"' Crastinus called out as he went by, "'today I shall earn your gratitude, either dead or alive."'

Caesar acknowledged him with a wave and cantered on.

Wow! I can feel the heat of the sun on my shoulder, and smell the scent of sweat and horses as the troops prepare for battle. I can imagine the swearing, the jostling for position, the surge of nervousness before battle. The men licking their lips as they stare out into the battlefield, readying themselves for the action to come.

I can imagine Crastinus looking up at Caesar as he rides by, and calling out to him. What a Centurion! He's been fighting with Caesar for so long now! I can imagine the group of raw, young recruits looking to their Centurion with awe! Caesar seems very easy-going, and even paternal and rugged, as he talks so smoothly and casually with the Centurion.

"The entire charge came to a stop. For perhaps a minute the Caesarian troops paused in the middle of the wheat field, catching their breath; then, led by Crastinus, they resumed the charge with a mighty roar.

Crastinus threw himself at the shield line, aiming to show his men how to reach over the top of an enemy shield and strike at the face of the soldier on the other side with the point of his sword. As he did, he felt a blow to the side of the head. He never even saw it coming. The strength suddenly drained from his legs. He sagged to his knees. His head was spinning. Dazed, he continued to call out to his men to spur them on.

As he spoke, a legionary of the 1st Legion directly opposite him in the shield line moved his shield six inches to the left, opening a small gap. In a flash he had shoved his sword through the gap with a powerful forward thrust that entered the yelling Gaius Crastinus's open mouth. According to Plutarch, the tip of the blade emerged from the back of Crastinus's neck. The soldier of the 1st withdrew his bloodied sword and swiftly resealed the gap in the shield line. His action had lasted just seconds. No doubt with a crude cheer from the nearby men of the 1st Legion, Centurion Crastinus toppled forward into the shiled in front of him, then slid to the ground."

You know, I am glad that Caesar crushes Pompey's forces. I liked the old Centurion! I know it happens in war--and this little episode made me reflect on the sadness of Crastinus dying, of the pain, the sudden terror, and his death. What of his dreams, what of his plans? What of his family waiting for his return? Sad. Very sad. Indeed, it pissed me off some, too. I *want* the 10th Legion to make the enemy bleed and pay. The old Centurion is watching!:) I can imagine his men attacking with a grim ferocity, too!

Semper Fidelis,

SHARK

sword-dancer

Explorer
Hello Shark

SHARK said:
Greetings!

You know, I am glad that Caesar crushes Pompey's forces. I liked the old Centurion! I know it happens in war--and this little episode made me reflect on the sadness of Crastinus dying, of the pain, the sudden terror, and his death. What of his dreams, what of his plans? What of his family waiting for his return? Sad. Very sad. Indeed, it pissed me off some, too. I *want* the 10th Legion to make the enemy bleed and pay. The old Centurion is watching!:) I can imagine his men attacking with a grim ferocity, too!

Semper Fidelis,

SHARK

You didn`t have some germanic ancestorship, the cause of taking the blood price in blood, had a very germanic feel.
What the huns and eeast goths discovered after the king of the westgoths died through an ostgothic spear.
The westgoths let them bleed and pay, with furor.

mmadsen

First Post
Crastinus threw himself at the shield line, aiming to show his men how to reach over the top of an enemy shield and strike at the face of the soldier on the other side with the point of his sword. As he did, he felt a blow to the side of the head. He never even saw it coming. The strength suddenly drained from his legs. He sagged to his knees. His head was spinning. Dazed, he continued to call out to his men to spur them on.

As he spoke, a legionary of the 1st Legion directly opposite him in the shield line moved his shield six inches to the left, opening a small gap. In a flash he had shoved his sword through the gap with a powerful forward thrust that entered the yelling Gaius Crastinus's open mouth. According to Plutarch, the tip of the blade emerged from the back of Crastinus's neck. The soldier of the 1st withdrew his bloodied sword and swiftly resealed the gap in the shield line. His action had lasted just seconds. No doubt with a crude cheer from the nearby men of the 1st Legion, Centurion Crastinus toppled forward into the shiled in front of him, then slid to the ground.
That's certainly some vivid imagery! Again, how do they make high school history so boring when they've got material like this to draw from?
You know, I am glad that Caesar crushes Pompey's forces....I *want* the 10th Legion to make the enemy bleed and pay. The old Centurion is watching!:)
The movie practically writes itself!

mmadsen

First Post
Chapter XI -- The Battle of Pharsalus

This is how Divinations should work:

According to both Plutarch and Appian, Pompey had been awakened by a disturbance in his camp in the early hours of that morning: just before the last change of watch, excited sentries had witnessed a fiery-tailed meteor race across the sky from the direction of Caesar's camp and disappear beyond the hills behind their own. Once awake, Pompey confided to his staff that he'd been dreaming he was adorning the temple of Venus the Victorious at Rome. Julius Caesar's family claimed descent from the goddess Venus, and Pompey's supporters were delighted by the dream, seeing it as an omen that Pompey soon would be celebrating the defeat of Caesar. Pompey wasn't so sure; the dream could also be interpreted that he was saluting Caesar as victoy.

ExtremeSIMS

First Post
Romans, Dark Ages, and Hobgoblins

The Roman capacity for war was truly impressive, and a reason why Roman tactics are still taught today. Another thing to keep in mind, that most people miss when thinking about war, is the logistical side. The Romans were careful planners, and their ability move these huge armies, and keep them fed and equipped, is perhaps more impressive than battle skills. In today's world, that's similar to Eisenhower's skills versus Patton's.

Not all warmaking skill was lost during the Dark Ages. Keep in mind this is when better ranged weapons and the stirrup were invented. However, the lack of central authority and constant warfare certainly impacted the "skill" of warfare.

Funny, reading the comments here about Shark's hobgoblins. In my world, the hobgoblins are a much bigger threat that any orcish mass. Hobgoblins are more LN, and are just as often mercenaries as they are the typical "hobgoblin horde".

mmadsen

First Post
Chapter XI -- The Battle of Pharsalus (continued)

So Pompey dreams that "he was adorning the temple of Venus the Victorious at Rome".

Unbeknownst to Pompey, the previous evening Caesar had issued as his army's watchword, or password, for August 9, "Venus, Bringer of Victory," quite unaware that Pompey planned to bring on a battle next day.

These details about watchwords seem like adventure seeds:

Polybius tells us the watchword was issued for the next twenty-four hours by the commanding officer just before sunset. The tribune of the watch then distributed it on wax sheets to his legion's guard sergeants, who in turn passed it on to the duty sentries in a strictly regulated process that required the prompt return of the wax sheets....There are several instances of watchwords being hurriedly changed just before a battle in case deserters had passed on the latest watchword to the enemy overnight.

Last edited:

mmadson

just had a crazy though. i knew a guy in college called michael madson. UNO.

could you be the same?

thanks fer yer time.

joe browning

mmadsen

First Post
Re: mmadson

just had a crazy though. i knew a guy in college called michael madson. UNO. could you be the same? thanks fer yer time.
Well, maybe Michael Madson is out there somewhere, going by "mmadson". Anyway, no, I didn't go to UNO. In fact, I'm not sure I know what UNO stands for. University of New Orleans?

Last edited:

mmadsen

First Post
Chapter XI -- The Battle of Pharsalus (continued)

According to Appian, [Pompey] now told his troops, "We fight for freedom and for homeland, backed by the constitution, our glorious reputation, and so many men of senatorial and equestrian rank, against one man who would pirate supreme power."

After that speech, I'm certainly rooting for Pompey. By the way, I know next to nothing about the Roman constitution. Can anyone fill me in?

Last edited:

Re: Re: mmadson

mmadsen said:

Well, maybe Michael Madson is out there somewhere, going by "mmadson". Anyway, no, I didn't go to UNO. In fact, I'm not sure I know what UNO stands for. University of New Orleans?

yah, oh well. :) had stranger things happen to me before... he was also deeply into roman history.. yep. new orleans

joe b.

Remove ads