• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Reading NPC stat block question

redcloud111

Villager
Hey, guys. Old-school gamer here (circa 80-83). I have been out of the hobby for years. My interest has renewed with all the talk of 5th edition. I was digging around in my old stuff and realized I couldn't remember how to read damage on a monster stat block. For example, it is reading D 2-7 for a 0 level stonemason. What does this mean? I was expecting to see something like 1d6 or something. Please see attachment for the stat block.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-17 at 8.15.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-17 at 8.15.33 AM.png
    16.3 KB · Views: 352

Voadam

Legend
2-7 = d6+1.

Sometimes there is multiple ways to come to the number range but often it is a die or two with a flat bonus.

2-8 = 2d4.

Some of these were listed in the AD&D 1e MMII and a few other places but often it was not explained.

redcloud111

Villager
Voadam

Thanks for the speedy reply.

Ah, so if I see D 2-7 or D 2-8, can I assume these are ranges and that they aren't telling me how many dice to use? If so that makes sense. If I want to roll I just choose the best method. 1d6+1 or 1d8, respectively (2 being the lowest possible range for both).

And, yeah, I couldn't find a way to read these stat blocks in the player's guide. MM2 might have it? Okay, I'll take a look.

Thanks!

the Jester

Legend
2-8 is 2d4. You don't want to do the "d8, reroll 1s" thing because you will throw the odds off. (The odds of rolling a 5 on 2d4 are substantially higher than the odds of a 2 or an 8 coming up.)

The 1e MM2 does indeed have a section in the beginning describing what dice make what damage expressions.

rastus_burne

First Post
As a general rule with damage, if it's a strange number range I attempt to divide it into itself. Say for instance you had 3-12 damage, you could divide 12 into groups of 3 and get the result of 4 - meaning it's a 4-sided dice (d4) and it is rolled 3 times (or 3d4).

Other times with weird numbers like 2-5 you have to assume it's a single (or multiple) dice plus a number modifier (or 1d4+1).

Then, there are those instances where you throw your hands into the air and say "What the hell!?!" :)

That's the beauty of AD&D.

Remove ads