READY PLAYER ONE - Come With Me

Doug McCrae

Legend
I think the movie will be better than the book, because it will fix its minor flaws, though I doubt it can do anything about the major ones.

Minor flaw: The main puzzles are uninteresting and repetitive - succeed at an 80s arcade or adventure game, recite the dialogue to an 80s movie.
Major flaw 1: Why would teenagers in the 2040s develop the same level of passion for 80s pop culture as a 40-something in the 2010s? To make sense the book ought to either be about a teenager living in the 80s, with no science fictional element, or the protagonists should be mercenaries who are at best neutral towards the 80s, merely researching it for the huge cash payout. Ofc the latter approach wouldn't serve the writer's purpose.
Major flaw 2: The book doesn't understand creativity. It thinks the highest pinnacle of human endeavour is learning and repeating facts precisely. Every time Halliday, the OASIS's creator, is praised for his programming skill it's because he has recreated something, usually an artefact of geek or 80s culture in perfect detail. Several of the puzzles are in the same vein - learn and repeat some pointless 80s trivia. It's a very limited, nerdy, understanding of what talent is, of what is admirable.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Major flaw 1: Why would teenagers in the 2040s develop the same level of passion for 80s pop culture as a 40-something in the 2010s?

The premise of the book is that there's a massive prize for the person who does so. The whole world becomes 80s obsessed.

Doug McCrae

Legend
The premise of the book is that there's a massive prize for the person who does so. The whole world becomes 80s obsessed.

It explains why they would immerse themselves in 80s culture but not why they'd be so passionate about it. Especially not passionate about it in the exact same, nostalgic way that Ernest Cline is. I think Cline believes that anyone exposed to 80s pop culture will forget everything else and recognise it for the timeless pinnacle of cultural achievement he considers it to be. But I think he's wrong.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
It explains why they would immerse themselves in 80s culture but not why they'd be so passionate about it. Especially not passionate about it in the exact same, nostalgic way that Ernest Cline is. I think Cline believes that anyone exposed to 80s pop culture will forget everything else and recognise it for the timeless pinnacle of cultural achievement he considers it to be. But I think he's wrong.

There are whole sub cultures of people who dress and live like its still the 50's and Rock n Roll is still a thing, there are people who like faux Victoriana Steampunk. There are Fashion mags commenting that Stranger Things might be the start of an 80s fashion revival this year, so I don't see why the same thing couldn't happen in 2040 especially if the iconography is coupled with the game hook and a huge prize

Trends are strange things like that

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

If there’s one thing common to all humans, it’s their tendency to be passionate about whatever they are immersed in, whether that’s their country, religion, local laws or customs, or even their choice of mobile phone, to point of believing it’s the only true way. I can totally believe that people immersed in 80s culture would become passionate about it.

MarkB

Legend
There's also the factor that the novel's present-day is particularly bleak and depressing. People were looking for an outlet to get them away from the troubles of their everyday lives at around the same time that the Egg-Hunt-fuelled 80s craze hit, so it's not surprising that many fixated upon it.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
The real issue I had with the book is that Acererak is a Demilich in Tomb of Horrors, not a Lich. I know changing it made it easier for him to play Joust, but I'm still a pedant when it comes to old school D&D. ;) It will be nice if old school D&D and Gygax gets a bit of a nod in the movie.

Remove ads