• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ready to play Blue Rose (sort of)

Nomad4life

First Post
Okay- I have a good grasp on the rules, decent knowledge of the setting, all the pages I need printed out, and my players are getting character concepts together. We’ll be running our first Blue Rose game pretty soon. I’ll post back with an update as to how things went.

I should probably mention here and now that we will NOT be running the game as a “romantic fantasy.” In other words, the names and places are the same, but the plots and feel of the game won’t be any different from the typical “fantasy” settings found in most D&D campaigns. I apologize in advance to fans of the genre for not running the game the way it was “intended.” It’s really the mechanics we want to test.

Has anyone else run a BR game yet? Anyone planning to?

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
No, but man! I want to. Either "straight" or more likely changed somehow, possibly ported into a completely different setting. I'm hoping GR releases the rules seperately, but I'm afraid it ain't likely.

Crothian

First Post
You might get lucky and these BR rules could be similiar to the ones they will have for Thieves World.

I haven't had a chance to do anything with the game. THe people I know who are interested want to wait till the book comes out.

Yuan-Ti

First Post
John Q. Mayhem said:
I'm hoping GR releases the rules seperately, but I'm afraid it ain't likely.

Maybe more likely than you think. Some observant folks noticed in the BR rulebook there are references to True20, the system of Blue Rose. Green Ronin has confirmed they will likely use it in future game systems and didn't want to have to refer to it as the Blue Rose System. So, who knows? Maybe there is even an OGL for True20 in the works.

Some comments have been posted here: http://bluerose.greenronin.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=133

Benben

First Post
Nomad4life said:

I'm dying to play or run a game, but won't be able to run it till my Sunday campaign wraps up.

However, I already have a table of four women who are interested in playing. They're all survivors my Sunday game and want to do something centered on character growth with less combat and more fun--and no boys allowed. Well, no boys save for the DMs.

I'm planning on running a romantic fantasy setting. I'm looking forward to the shades of grey in Jarzon. Kern will get a few touch ups, probably by making it a little more steam-punk, or whatever I steal from the Iron Kingdoms World book.

Nisarg

Banned
Banned
Nomad4life said:

I'm definitely running something with it in the near future. I have to start up my Octane campaign first, which has become all the more of a priority to me since the death of Hunter Thompson (little did I know it would become my tribute game to his memory).

But after that, I'll certainly be running BR. Possibly in the Thieves World setting, or possibly digging out the old "Port Blacksand" Fighting Fantasy setting book, or possibly running it in Aldis itself but where Aldis is an oppresive feminist nanny-state dictatorship out to rob people of their freedoms, rights, ability to reason, and masculinity.

We shall see. The world is a vast open plain, and I am a naked little grasshopper.

Nisarg

Krieg

First Post
Yuan-Ti said:
Maybe more likely than you think. Some observant folks noticed in the BR rulebook there are references to True20, the system of Blue Rose. Green Ronin has confirmed they will likely use it in future game systems and didn't want to have to refer to it as the Blue Rose System. So, who knows? Maybe there is even an OGL for True20 in the works.

That would be a very smart move on their part. I would say it is a safe bet that there are more folks who would be interested in a "streamlined" version of the d20 ruleset than there are who have a desire to run Blue Rose as presented.

Although it might be interesting to use it to run a homage to Drawn Together....I call dibs on Xandir!

107m.jpg

Umm, I mean Captain Hero...yeah Captain Hero. *straight guy cough*

Last edited:

WayneLigon

Adventurer
I really want to run it, but it'll be some time from now. The current Mutants and Masterminds game is only a few sessions old and it'll probably go a year or so unless we really find something more compelling to do. After that everyone will probably be in the mood for fantasy again, so that might be the time to pull out BR since everyone will be familiar with the basics of the damage save, etc.

The emphasis on romance and such will probably be toned down to mesh better with the current group but the social structures and such are pretty much like a number of other D&D campaigns we've all run and played in over the last several years so that much at least I won't have to monkey with. Finally, a setting I can use pretty much out of the box that will also be 'strangely familiar' to the long-time players.

Nomad4life

First Post
Nisarg said:
But after that, I'll certainly be running BR. Possibly in the Thieves World setting, or possibly digging out the old "Port Blacksand" Fighting Fantasy setting book, or possibly running it in Aldis itself but where Aldis is an oppresive feminist nanny-state dictatorship out to rob people of their freedoms, rights, ability to reason, and masculinity.

::Nods::

Yeah, I was going to tweak the MESS out of Aldis… On the surface, it appears to be just the utopian society it is described to be. Deep under the surface, however, the “Magic Hart” is the avatar of an imprisoned other-worldly “alien” being. This being’s master plan is to accumulate a large number of psychics, and the “best” way to do this was to create a society where “all people” are welcomed. Once all the pieces are in place, and with the aid of his secret Shadow Cult (all prominent aristocratic sorcerers within the Aldin society) the being eventually plans to “detonate” a psychic chain reaction… Setting himself free but annihilating the city (or at least driving most inhabitants to madness.)

Although the Jarzoni do not know it, their “god” is also a similar being, but one who is a rival of the imprisoned one. Neither being is necessarily “evil” per se, they just don’t value human life while waging their own cosmic struggle for dominance.

So can you tell that I’m a Lovecraft fan yet?

Like I was saying, this is pretty much a total perversion of the values at work in the default setting, but it’s one that I’m happier with… And my players will be as well. Most of the backstory won’t come into play initially anyway.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads