• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Readying a charge

ARandomGod

First Post
This came up in my last game session. The GM wanted to have a charge readied for when the PC's opened the door. Now, as the GM he can clearly do whatever he wishes, however this isn't about that so much as a question, can a charge be readied? (Let's ignore for the moment that you shouldn't allow readied actions outside of combat, which was also debateably happening here.)

One of the other players stated that charges couldn't be readied, I hadn't looked at the rules in a while and couldn't remember it ever coming up... and the rule itself is a little unclear (to me, and indeed to everyone in the group but that player).

The GM didn't have the "readied charge" happen, however now we'd like to know 1) Can it be done under RAW 2) If not, can something to the same effect be done?

A careful reading of the rules has lead me to draw the tentative conclusion that indeed it can not be done. Relevant information bits are:

1) You can ready a move or a standard action, which can include a five foot step. (Edit, it can only include the five foot step if you didn't move otherwise during the round you readied your action.)
2) A charge is neither a move nor a standard action
3) You can make a charge when you're restricted to making only standard action that turn.
3a) Readying an action could be interpreted as limiting yourself to a standard action that turn, assuming that you don't make a move action before readying...

So... readying an action, does that limit you to making a standard action? In one way it does. In another way, however... Can't you make a move action and then ready an action? This wouldn't be limiting yourself to only a standard action because you've made a move action already. If, on the other hand, you ready an action BEFORE you make a move, you are indeed limited to making a standard action only that turn.

So. Rules interpret away please!

If possible I'd *like* to see opinions on both sides of the topic... of course, here's the best place to come for something like that! Then again, if I'm missing something which really clearly irons this point out one way or another, I wouldn't want to miss that either.

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Electing to not-take a Move action is not the same as being restricted to a Standard or Move action only.

If it's the surprise round; if you're Slowed; if you're a zombie; etc... then you can Ready a restricted Charge.

If you're capable of choosing to take a full round action, you're ineligible to make a restricted Charge, and thus cannot Ready one.

-Hyp.

werk

First Post
(just to echo hyp.)

"Charging is a special full-round action..."

"You can ready a standard action, a move action, or a free action."

I don't know what a restricted charge is...

Infiniti2000

First Post
werk said:
I don't know what a restricted charge is...
It's: "If you are able to take only a standard action or a move action on your turn, you can still charge, but you are only allowed to move up to your speed (instead of up to double your speed). You can’t use this option unless you are restricted to taking only a standard action or move action on your turn."

Note that if you are restricted to taking a move action and whatever it was that restricted you did not have a caveat on not attacking, the restricted charge lets you attack. However, I don't know any such thing that does not have the caveat.

JimAde

First Post
I agree the the RAW seem to prohibit it, but that's always bugged me. I allow it in my game as a house rule: You can ready a charge, but doing so is a full turn action and the charge you execute can only cover your normal move (not double move).

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Infiniti2000 said:
Note that if you are restricted to taking a move action and whatever it was that restricted you did not have a caveat on not attacking, the restricted charge lets you attack.

That's arguable.

It depends on how you read "restricted to taking a standard or move action".

If it means "restricted to taking a standard action, or alternatively, restricted to taking a move action", then you're right.

But the Staggered condition restricts you to taking a standard or move action. The Disabled condition restricts you to taking a standard or move action. The Slow spell restricts you to taking a standard or move action.

The nauseated condition restricts you to taking a move action.

See how the others restrict you to taking a standard or move action, but the nauseated condition doesn't? It is more restrictive than "a standard or move action".

So if "standard or move action" in the restricted charge text permits a restricted charge under any condition that you are restricted to a standard action, or any condition that you are restricted to a move action, it's allowable when restricted to move action only. But if it permits a restricted charge only under conditions that restrict you to a "standard or move action", then move action only disallows restricted charge.

-Hyp.

werk

First Post
OK, I see restricted activity, and restricted withdraw...where is restricted charge?

Is it just extrapolation from restricted activity? "You can’t take a full-round action (though you can start or complete a full-round action by using a standard action; see below). "

irdeggman

First Post
From the SRD:

CHARGE
Charging is a special full-round action that allows you to move up to twice your speed and attack during the action. However, it carries tight restrictions on how you can move.
Movement During a Charge: You must move before your attack, not after. You must move at least 10 feet (2 squares) and may move up to double your speed directly toward the designated opponent.

You must have a clear path toward the opponent, and nothing can hinder your movement (such as difficult terrain or obstacles). Here’s what it means to have a clear path. First, you must move to the closest space from which you can attack the opponent. (If this space is occupied or otherwise blocked, you can’t charge.) Second, if any line from your starting space to the ending space passes through a square that blocks movement, slows movement, or contains a creature (even an ally), you can’t charge. (Helpless creatures don’t stop a charge.)

If you don’t have line of sight to the opponent at the start of your turn, you can’t charge that opponent.

You can’t take a 5-foot step in the same round as a charge.
If you are able to take only a standard action or a move action on your turn, you can still charge, but you are only allowed to move up to your speed (instead of up to double your speed). You can’t use this option unless you are restricted to taking only a standard action or move action on your turn.

Attacking on a Charge: After moving, you may make a single melee attack. You get a +2 bonus on the attack roll. and take a –2 penalty to your AC until the start of your next turn.
A charging character gets a +2 bonus on the Strength check made to bull rush an opponent (see Bull Rush, above).

Even if you have extra attacks, such as from having a high enough base attack bonus or from using multiple weapons, you only get to make one attack during a charge.
Lances and Charge Attacks: A lance deals double damage if employed by a mounted character in a charge.

Weapons Readied against a Charge: Spears, tridents, and certain other piercing weapons deal double damage when readied (set) and used against a charging character.

I agree that a charge can't be readied since it is a full round action. But also in the situation given it couldn't be done anyway since the foe did not have a clear path to the target "before" readying the action.

You have to have a target before you can charge and you have to specify conditions when readying an action.

For example stating "I will charge when the door is opened."

Doesn't work since there is no target and you must specify the target for the charge since all movement must be direct.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
So if "standard or move action" in the restricted charge text permits a restricted charge under any condition that you are restricted to a standard action, or any condition that you are restricted to a move action, it's allowable when restricted to move action only. But if it permits a restricted charge only under conditions that restrict you to a "standard or move action", then move action only disallows restricted charge.
Since a move action can be taken whenever you have a standard action available (with some caveats of course such as if you've already taken a 5ft-step you can't move, etc.), then reading "standard or move action" to specifically require both is unnecessary. It also makes it impossible to take a restricted charge in the surprise round because the surprise text does not use "standard or move action" it just says "standard action" (and allows free actions). The SRD is like that anyways. Am I reading that correctly?

Peter Gibbons

First Post
It's my belief that the PHB authors did not intend to allow Readied Charges when they wrote the rules for restricted charges.

It's also my belief that there is no good reason not to allow Readied Charges, so long as all movement during the turn otherwise conforms with the Charge rules.

Remove ads