• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Readying and Swift Actions

Pasus Nauran

First Post
I have recently acquired a pair of Greatreach Bracers (from the Magic Item Compendium). These bracers increase my reach by 10 ft. for one round, and are activated as a Swift action.

I was wondering: can I ready both a Swift and Standard action together?

For example: I want to ready and action that when an opponent comes within 15 ft. of me, I activate the bracers (swift action) and make an attack (standard action).

Is this possible?

Christian

Explorer
I'd be inclined to say no. I have horrible visions of wizards readying spells where they follow up with a quickened spell on the same action.

YDMMV. (Your DM may vary.) I doubt there's anything explicitly allowing this in the RAW.

irdeggman

First Post
No you can't.

RAW (per Rules Compendium pg 110) {Gotta love this book}

"You can ready a standard action, a move action, a swift action or a free action."

You also can't ready a free action and a standard action.

Pasus Nauran

First Post
Dang. Oh well, it makes sense.

I was hoping I could, as I'm part of an arena ladder in our campaign, as is another party member. I just bought the bracers to give me an advantage if I end up against him, as he's a wonky creature with 10 ft. reach.

No loss though, since the bracers will come in very handily anyways. Thanks for the info.

irdeggman

First Post
Just to note that you can do a 5 ft step as part of a readied action (assuming you haven't moved during the turn) - since a 5 ft step is a "no action" action and not even a "free" action.

Mind you, you can move, take a swift action, and then ready a standard action. What is your opponent doing that you need to interrupt with a standard and a swift?

Gloombunny

First Post
Since the bracers last for a round, you can activate them on your turn and then ready your standard action. Although, if he doesn't come within 15' that turn the bracer effect will be wasted, so that sucks a bit.

Remove ads