• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Readying trip attack

jlhorner1974

First Post
If you ready an attack against an enemy for the purpose of tripping them, does the enemy still get their attack?

For example, Fighter A readies an attack against Fighter B to be triggered when Fighter B charges. If Fighter B then charges Fighter A, Fighter A's readied action is resolved first, and Fighter A attempts to trip Fighter B. If the trip is successful:

1. Does Fighter B lose his attack because he is now prone?

2. If the answer to (1) is no, does he lose his charge bonus to hit and AC penalty?

I would say that Fighter B can still make his attack, but must do so from the prone position, incurring the normal penalties. He would lose his charge bonus to hit because his momentum was stopped, when he was tripped and knocked prone. I would say that his charge penalty to AC would still remain though.

What do you think?

Kaji

First Post
jlhorner1974 said:

For example, Fighter A readies an attack against Fighter B to be triggered when Fighter B charges. If Fighter B then charges Fighter A, Fighter A's readied action is resolved first, and Fighter A attempts to trip Fighter B. If the trip is successful:

1. Does Fighter B lose his attack because he is now prone?

2. If the answer to (1) is no, does he lose his charge bonus to hit and AC penalty?

When prone, you can normally still attack, just at a penalty. However, in this case the action is Charge, and the Charge has been successfully disrupted, so I say the action is indeed lost. Using the same logic, because the Charge was never successfully carried off, I would not penalize the character with AC loss the next round or apply the Charge bonus.

Pax

Banned
Banned
I'd agree with Kaji.

However, if you trip them and are in range, I'd allow the Charge bonus and penalty to stand.

Also consider: with either a reach weapon, or the feat Hold the Line (a potentially nice choice, from Sword and Fist), you don't even have to READY the attack, just use a Trip as your AoO. :)

Mahali

Explorer
If you can trip him while charging they're still charging. Bonus to hit and Minus to AC apply (as well as prone penalties.)

Remove ads