• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Readying vs. Stilled, Silenced Spell

strongbow

First Post
Thanks to everyone who posted on the "Spellcrafting a Stilled, Silenced Spell"

However, the wu jen in my group would like a crystal clear clarification about a related question.

If a fighter readies an action to attack a spellcaster if the spellcaster casts a spell, and the spellcaster casts a stilled, silenced spell, does the fighter get to take his readied attack?

I know the AoO would depend on how the caster moves and/or successfully casts defensively.

Tome & Blood, under the section about new uses for the spellcraft skill, says there is "no mistaking the concentration that magic requires"

p.s. Your responseswill end an ongoing argument.

Guy Fullerton

First Post
strongbow said:
If a fighter readies an action to attack a spellcaster if the spellcaster casts a spell, and the spellcaster casts a stilled, silenced spell, does the fighter get to take his readied attack?
Yes, absolutely. You already gave the reason why:

Tome & Blood, under the section about new uses for the spellcraft skill, says there is "no mistaking the concentration that magic requires"

Mahali

Explorer
Yes. Why wouldn't he get to take it?
You quoted Tomb and Blood which would end any arguement right there. "He looks like he's thinking real hard. I better whack him!"
Even a stilled, silent, no component spell provokes an AoO.
I suppose a really nice DM might allow a spell caster to make an opposed bluff/sense motive to pretend to cast a spell if he thinks the fighter is waiting to clobber him. Won't gain the spell caster anything anyway.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Certainly the fighter gets his attack. In fact, I'd give it to him if the wizard looked like he was casting - concentrating on a spell, etc - because the fighter wouldn't know the difference.

mzsylver

Explorer
could you please post the link to the spellcrafting a silent, still spell? the search function isnt working.

thanks!!! =)

strongbow

First Post
I don't know how to post links to other threads in this forum, but the thread was posted on 2-7-02 at 3:08 P.M.

Also, check out Ikonoklast thread called "Another Grappling Question" that was posted on 2-6-02 at 9:52 P.M. for some more info/opinions.

tarkin

First Post
What if he quickens the spell?

Does the readied go off after the quickened spell?

For a Stilled, Silenced, Eschewed, Quickened spell, does the fighter get his readied action? (+6 levels, Charm Person at 7th level)

My personal thought is yes for just quickened, but only after the spell goes off. For a stilled, Silenced, Eschewed, Quickened, the fighter may not ever realize the spell went off

SpikeyFreak

First Post
tarkin said:
What if he quickens the spell?

Does the readied go off after the quickened spell?

For a Stilled, Silenced, Eschewed, Quickened spell, does the fighter get his readied action? (+6 levels, Charm Person at 7th level)

My personal thought is yes for just quickened, but only after the spell goes off. For a stilled, Silenced, Eschewed, Quickened, the fighter may not ever realize the spell went off
That is one of the strange things about the rules the way they are.

(I originally wrote a "No" at the beginning of the sentence, but since I have no idea why I did that, I've taken it out.) Even though a quickened, stilled, silent, material eschewed(sp?) spell would be cast practically instantaneously, the fighters action, if his ready action was triggered, would go before the wizard or divine caster.

In fact, if it were a 20th level monk, he would be able to charge something like 60ft AND attack before the quickened spell went off.

Silly, wouldn't you agree?

--Constant Spikey

Last edited:

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Generally, the description is that the fighter was trailing the wizard the whole time, and simply hits the wizard once he/she begins to cast; the "ready" mechanic is the best way to represent this in a turn-based system, even though it means that the fighter won't have moved if the wizard ends up not casting - a neccissary part of the system, as far as I can tell.

EOL

First Post
Some things like evasion in a tight corrider and readying to attack someone who casts a still silent spell you just kind of have to take on faith (yeah it's like a religion, that's it :D)

However there may perhaps be a way around this paticular bit of dogma. Have the fighter describe in game, rather than meta-game terms the trigger for his action. For example rather than "I ready to attack him as soon as he casts a spell." Make them say something like "I ready to attack the guy in the robes as soon as he starts chanting." In that case a silenced spell would not trigger the action. Gradually they will figure out that they need to say, "I ready to attack the guy in robes as soon as his brows furrow in concentration." It will have the same effect, but at the very least it will help keep the players in character.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads