• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"Real" Gold Pieces

Kae'Yoss

First Post
I was wondering: Are there any affordable play money gold pieces around? I know the pirate plunder poker box, but that's a tad too expensive for my likes. There has to be someone who made plastic gold pieces for roleplayers.

(In case you wonder, I'd like them mainly for Three Dragon Ante)

Aeric

Explorer
I have an entire treasure chest filled with plastic gold coins. I use it as a prop in the LARP I'm currently playing in. I got the coins from a party store; they were $7 for a bag of 50, I think. Not the cheapest, but there you go.

Technomancer

First Post
Aeric said:
I have an entire treasure chest filled with plastic gold coins. I use it as a prop in the LARP I'm currently playing in. I got the coins from a party store; they were $7 for a bag of 50, I think. Not the cheapest, but there you go.
Agreed, a party supply store is your best bet.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
I was in Savannah earlier this summer, and some of the tourist stores had coins, both metal and plastic.... Something might be available online.

Wombat

First Post
Might I suggest brass or copper washers?

I have used washers (of various types) as coinage in several games and the players love them! :)

Turhan

First Post
You can also buy a can of gold spray paint for 3-4$ and paint pennies (wash them sith hot soapy water first and make sure they're clean.

Pennies are about the size of a lot of real coins from antiquity. They may look phony, but then everything but the real mccoy will...

taliesin15

First Post
Just for the record, American Gold Eagles and Krugerands are pretty pricey--somewhere in the hundreds of dollars--I would guess at least $350, maybe up to double that by now, but its been a while since I've checked.

I do have a one ounce silver coin minted by the Liberty Dollar folks, which costs around $10, last time I checked. I think Liberty Dollar will also sell a tenth ounce gold coin.

The reason I mention this is all the suggestios, while being cheap ones, will not have at all the weight of a gold coin. Maybe the gold spray paint on a lead coin? You might have less kevetching about how encumbering carrying 1000 gold coins in yr PC's backpack is if players could feel how heavy real gold is. One time a local jewelry store hosted some treasure hunters who had found the wreck of a Spanish galleon somewhere in the Gulf. Fascinating stuff. Anyhow, I got to handle a gold bar, which looked like it might weigh a pound, maybe 10 inches by 5" by 4"--it was much closer to 50 lbs!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads