Real Life Encounters with the Supernatural!

Algolei

Explorer
A ghost stole my watch once. It "disappeared" from my bedside table one night (I didn't see it happen, so I won't say it literally disappeared, although that would seem to be suggested). Nobody could find it for several days. Then when I awoke one morning it was back right where I left it. It wasn't there when I went to sleep--I know this, because it's where I empty my pockets as well. No one could sneak into my bedroom to play tricks on me, either, because my bedroom door couldn't be opened without making an extremely annoying sound (and I was pretty paranoid back then, what with me living with my crazy relatives and all).

The_Universe

First Post
Fieari said:
Err... since the regular forum rules apply... that kinda cuts down on an awful lot of potential posts to this thread, since supernatural experiences tend to be very tied to religion, which is a nono for discussion here.
I think that the forum will allow you to say (for instance) "I think I saw Buddha in the parking lot of the 7-11" so long as you don't expound on the religious signicance of the event to you in particular.

This thread is based on a similar one from a little more than a year ago. I'll post a link if I can find it - but if you saw an Angel and an Alien grey playing street hockey last june I'd say that counts. Feel free to report it and share. Just avoid the overtly preachy stuff. :)

Have faith (or not) and feel free to expound upon it. Just don't do that part here.

Fieari said:
Err... since the regular forum rules apply... that kinda cuts down on an awful lot of potential posts to this thread, since supernatural experiences tend to be very tied to religion, which is a nono for discussion here.
Even if your story happens to be "spiritual"-- don't think The_Universe is looking for the religious significance... just the supernatural.

For example, there was a girl several years younger than me... I think her name was Kerri... I can't say that I remember, now... but-- her name isn't important... she was kind of an outcast-- though she was very intelligent and funny, she was ostracized because she had a lazy eye and a lisp which made her seem very un-intelligent. Moreover, she was "the new girl"-- so, a bad situation, in general... not to say that lazy eyes and lisps make you a bad person, but it did seem to make her transition into a new school even more difficult than necessary....

ANYWAY! One evening, at a healing service at my church. After sitting through the entire service, she eventually walked up to the pastor, eyes down... looking up and him, she was crying. The pastor, along with several members of the church laid hands on her and prayed and, after that night, her lazy eye was just normal.

Now, you can doubt the christian church all you want... but, man oh man is the power of faith--any faith--an incredible thing!

Additionally, the other thread about the supernatural can be found here:
http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=56538

Angcuru

First Post
Well, being of a psychologically studious mind, I tend not to believe in faith healings and the like as being supernatural. A lot of it is the power of suggestion. Faith healings can work, just not in the way you may think.

s/LaSH

First Post
I've done some none-too-rigorous experiments with dice and psychokinesis that indicated some vague ability to influence the number that gets rolled. (Concentrate on '1'; roll die 20 times; record each result and compare to the 1-in-6 expected distribution; repeat with '2', and so forth.) If I'm remembering correctly, every side showed up ~20% more often than expected when I was concentrating on it.

When I wore a watch regularly, perhaps half the time I looked at it, the seconds were within the 41-43 bracket, most commonly 42. This persisted for several years, and I checked my watch frequently. Now I don't wear a watch, so I don't know whether this strange trend persists. (Also, I'm aware of the theory that extraordinary events stand out in the mind, and can induce ideas of correlation where none exists; I think my stats on this are pretty valid, however, and they're quite outside the normal distribution: they should be 5%, and are more like 50%.)

And then there's the stuff with energy discharges, but I'll have to do more experimenting with that. I haven't got stats on it yet. It may be related to watch-stopping phenomena.

OK, that's all I've got: vague, statistically-oriented things. The best sort.

Captain Howdy

Explorer
A few years ago at Christmas time, we had one of those Santa statues that moves back and forth and sings. Kind of like animatronics... But anyway, when you squeeze his hand he would say, "HO HO HO, MERRY CHRISTMAS!" and then a random Christmas carol would play. We all went to bed one night, probably around 11:30 or so, and all of a sudden we hear Santa downstairs... I went down with my Dad, and we turned him off, then went back upstairs. Mind you, everyone (my parents, brother, and myself) were all upstairs sleeping. Then about five minutes later we hear him again. My Dad went down, and thought that there might be some kind of weird power surge or something, so he unplugged Santa. Everyone went back to their respective beds, and were slightly freaked out. No more than two minutes later, we hear "HO HO HO! MERRY CHRISTMAS!" Everyone went downstairs, and saw that Santa was unplugged and turned off... We got rid of it the next day.
That was the freakiest thing I personally have ever encountered. It's not all that scary, but it was really unsettling and I couldn't think of any explaination for it. So, there you go... Possessed singing Santa.

Remove ads