• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Real Life roleplaying resource books

Ejacobs

First Post
Has anyone used the Real Life Roleplaying books from Holistic Designs with any success? (Colombia/Somalia/Afghanistan D20)

Am curious about starting a non-Fx real world game and am looking for good background classess/AC's/PrC's for some pre-made characters.

jezter6

Explorer
Might I suggest the Blood and _____ line from RPGObjects. Aside from Blood and Relics, the others seem to be a straight focus to non-fx campaigns, from Blood and Guts (military) to Blood and Fists (martial arts)...there's good stuff to be had there.

Byrons_Ghost

First Post
I've got Somalia, and I like it a lot. The classes and rules are well-done, and the background and campaign resources are very good. There's even a whole slew of "social feats" specifically for an all-military campaign, so that the soldiers can do something other than shoot things.

There's also two adventures and a campaign framework, plus ideas for adapting the sourcebook to other settings like near-future, etc.

I've been meaning to pick up Colombia, but I haven't found it yet. I'm not sure if I'll get Afghanistan or not, since it isn't D20 Modern.

ElectricDevil

First Post
I don't think holistic design necessarily grasps the concepts laid out in d20 Modern very well. Every "advanced class" is little more than a prestige class of some kind or another, rewritten to work with the d20 Modern mechanics.

Then there's the oddity of the writing. There's a lot of research put into the books, yet there's something strange about it. While reading about a South American terror group called the Tupac Amaru, you get a nice big block of text devoted to Tupac Shakur, who has absolutely NOTHING to do with the Tupac Amaru.

I do like the adventures/missions and the campaigns that are recommended in both Somalia and Colombia. They are worthwhile books for Military-style operations and other similar games.

Pagan priest

First Post
I have Somalia. I got it to use the officer and other military classes. For that, I like it. I have no real interest in running a game in Somalia, nor in non-FX games in general. On the other hand, I think that the core book is a little light on good military classes, and I think the social feats are good albeit limited.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads