• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Real Life Stats

genshou

First Post
Gidien said:
Yeah, as genshou pointed out, the d20 Modern might be a better class system. Still, I've a feeling few people, even really talented people, are PC classes. I mean, after all, most of us don't have any of those nifty class features like sneak attack, spellcasting, or anything like that. I think expert is the way to go for most everyone.

And if you are a PC class, then give some examples of how you use those nifty class features ;)
Kidney shots, stabbing in the eye, knowledge of vitals (this also ties into the Ranger's favored enemy, for which I would pick human as I am kind of on the evil side), knowledge of pressure points, and talent at following tracks that I learned from a grandfather who spent years among the Shoshone tribe.

Remember, the real me is an Ordinary. The fantasy-born, avatar me is a hero. So PC classes are entirely appropriate in this case.

Edit: as for weapon proficiencies, they are something that would come as part of my rogue/ranger training, as I am only proficient with a few weapon groups in the real world, not all simple and martial weapons ;)

Last edited:

Zander

Explorer
Gidien said:
So, I'd think that an average level 1 person is pretty much fresh out of high school. Maybe after you finish college, level 2 or 3? Graduate school for a 4?
There was an article in Dragon years ago on a college of wizardry in which completing a PhD was level 9. I don't recall what the other levels were.

I think the article was published between 8 and 10 years ago but I could be wrong about that. :eek:

Wadash

First Post
I felt the urge to share my stats, and my reason for what they are.

Str 13 (I don't know my bench press but I'm constantly called to move stuff others have trouble with - like refrigeraters and other heavy stuff)
Dex 11 (About average)
Con 10 (Don't get sick much, but can't run for long or carry refrigeraters for long ;-)
Int 9 (I like to think it is higher, but since people continually surprise me with combo's that are obvious when they point it out, and for other reasons I'll name below.)
Wis 17 (I usually know what other people think, I have generally good awareness and empathy.)
Cha 9 (People tend to ignore me, although I do have some ranks in diplomacy - if only they would listen.)

I'm also Lawful Good (Usually wellstructured and wellmeaning, putting others before myself - will never harm anyone (including feelings) if it can be avoided. I believe rules are guidelines that should be followed by all.)
I like books and studying (though I have trouble remembering it - due to my Int, but I can usually piece it together intuitively)
I am not much of an outdorsman, my fighting skill is mostly knowledge about techniques. I can't sneak or hide. Consequently I think my class is Wizard!
I don't have any spells though (due to my Int)
I am level 20 though! I have never missed a guy standing still (AC 10) while trying to hit him with a small stick. (Incidentally for those who say I should be lower level because I have a Str bonus to hit, I also have to inform you that I have the feat weapon finesse, allowing me to use my Dex instead. For my reason to pick that feat I refer you to my Int score.)

Anyways, I had fun figuring this out - and it is surprisingly accurate (As proof I offer the number of people ignoring my post - cf. my Cha stat)
Wadash

Last edited:

Xath

Moder-gator
S'mon said:
INT is easy, since IQ testing directly measures Intelligence as the concept is commonly understood (brains/smartness/quickwittedness). For a typical American or European population IRL, average IQ is 100 and standard deviation is 15 points, which (going by The Bell Curve) means roughly 1/6 population have IQ 115+, 1/36 have IQ 130+, and 1 in 216 have IQ 145+.
You can translate this to D&D INT, eg if D&D INT averages 10.5 and is generated on a 3d6 bell curve, IQ 100 is INT 10.5 and IQ 145 is INT 18.

I tried making a system like this once, and this is how I guaged INT. The only problem is that everyone playing the game has to use the SAME IQ test. Most of the free ones are really imbalanced in comparison to official versions, so you have to use the bell curve of whichever test you end up using.

genshou

First Post
Xath said:
I tried making a system like this once, and this is how I guaged INT. The only problem is that everyone playing the game has to use the SAME IQ test. Most of the free ones are really imbalanced in comparison to official versions, so you have to use the bell curve of whichever test you end up using.
Ah! Now see, our good friend Xath here has two levels in the special Enworlder class "Poster", according to signature at least. What are the prerequisites for this class? I'd like to get in once I've finished attaining Thread Hijacker mastery.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
genshou said:
Ah! Now see, our good friend Xath here has two levels in the special Enworlder class "Poster", according to signature at least. What are the prerequisites for this class? I'd like to get in once I've finished attaining Thread Hijacker mastery.

It's all about the XP (i.e. postcount). I'm edging up on 4th level myself.

Dwarf Bread

First Post
CyberSpyder said:
As someone posting on the internet, I am of course significantly above average in all personal characteristics.

Nice!

As far as the debate on "real world" stats, anyone who believes the immense number of human characteristics can effectively be boiled down into six numerical scales certainly can't have a very high Wisdom (paradox intended). There is no consensus among therapists, psychiatrists, educators, etc., regarding what makes up "Intelligence." As for Wisdom, you might as well try to develop a stat called "Love" or "Sense of Humor." (Besides, doesn't the Wisdom stat indicate both judgment and perception? So, as you get older you gain more experience, and make more healthy decisions--also, as you get older, your vision and hearing get better? I'm pretty sure the Dalai Lama wears glasses.)

Besides, if we were playing ourselves, who would want to play a party full of Arcanists (or, more likely, Commoners)? As an atheist, I'm guessing healing magic would be out of the question for me (50% chance of success for agnostics)?

I have an 18 in Sarcasm.

Gidien

First Post
Well, glasses are an easy fix. I have great hearing, am very perceptive, all my friends come to me for advice, make good decisions, have good willpower, etc, hence a high wisdom, but I have something like 20/800 vision or worse. So, we just need those flaws...

Very Nearsighted- You suffer a -8 penalty to all spot checks beyond 4 feet.

Xath

Moder-gator
Dwarf Bread said:
(Besides, doesn't the Wisdom stat indicate both judgment and perception? So, as you get older you gain more experience, and make more healthy decisions--also, as you get older, your vision and hearing get better? I'm pretty sure the Dalai Lama wears glasses.)

I think Rich Burlew commented on this in an OotS strip. Quite hillarious.

I got my "real life stats" tested at Gencon this year in the Gamer Olympics. I kicked some serious butt. :) The stats were a bit different though.

Zander

Explorer
Dwarf Bread said:
There is no consensus among therapists, psychiatrists, educators, etc., regarding what makes up "Intelligence."
There's little consensus because lots of people have ulterior agendas, especially political ones* in the US. Outside the US in countries such as Japan, there is far less debate and more agreement about what constitutes intelligence.

*NB that discussion of political agendas is not permitted on these boards. Please don't open this can of worms and get this thread locked. I'm not a mod but I imagine that discussing what intelligence is should be OK as long as we don't stray into the realms of politics.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads