• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Real Locations that should be fantasy

Zinovia

Explorer
Garden of the Gods
Above links to the main page for the park, below is a really nice photo of some of the stone formations at sunrise.
[sblock]
ggsr_MG_1125.jpg
[/sblock]

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Zinovia said:
Garden of the Gods
Above links to the main page for the park, below is a really nice photo of some of the stone formations at sunrise.
[sblock]
ggsr_MG_1125.jpg
[/sblock]

D'oh! Now I feel stupid (since I live about eight miles from it). Also, I think that "Royal Gorge"sounds suitably fantastic :)

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I've been to the salt mine. Absolutely fantastic and sort of terrifying at the same time, like walking through Moria. Wow. Thanks for reminding me of that!

Along the lines of the Gate to Hell link, there is a coal fire underground somewhere in Pennsylvania (I think) that's been burning for decades. The landscape above is truly eerie.

These are probably more sci-fi, though the scope is truly fantastic:
CERN, pics
SLAC, some pics

NiTessine

Explorer
freyar said:
Along the lines of the Gate to Hell link, there is a coal fire underground somewhere in Pennsylvania (I think) that's been burning for decades. The landscape above is truly eerie.
Indeed, Centralia, PA.

It was used as inspiration for the movie Silent Hill.

fba827

Adventurer
I was goign to say Petra but since it was already said ...

(not quite a "place" but an event seen from a certain place ...
aurora borealis :)

Eosin the Red

First Post
Many of these have been added to the list of "wow, for real." Thanks and keep 'em coming. There is some really inspiring reading to be had here.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads