• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Real Weights of weapons?

Dremen

First Post
I know this is probably a can of worms but has there been any official erreta on the issue of weapons weights? The weights listed in the PHB are grossly high and it looks like they are trying to use the weight of the weapon as a game balance issue rather than the actual weight of the weapon.

Or do they have any other explanation? I can fairly easily just rule 0 this, but I am wondering what Wizards stance on this is.

-D

Tsyr

Explorer
Dremen said:
The weights listed in the PHB are grossly high and it looks like they are trying to use the weight of the weapon as a game balance issue rather than the actual weight of the weapon.

Actualy, I think that is pretty much the official explanation... to simulate encumbrance.

Drakmar

Explorer
um.. I would disagree with you with regards to the weapons having the incorrect weights.

Some weapons I think are not heavy enough.. ie..the Longsword. 4lbs? depending on the quality of steel/iron used it would be about right.. or heavier.

where as.. a Greatsword...15lbs? um.. that is a bit on the heavy side from my experience.

and the warhammer? 8lbs? that is heavy. a proper warhammer is about the same weight as a longsword.. mainly because it is not one of those huge monstrousities that all fantasy pics use. but closer to your average normal hammer.. just on a longer haft.

so.. it is probably more the dudes just picked the weights out of a hat.. or from the last book they published.

Tsyr

Explorer
Drakmar said:
Longsword. 4lbs

Greatsword...15lbs

warhammer 8lbs

4 pounds I can buy for a longsword, maybe. Greatsword is _WAY_ too heavey (6-8 is far closer). Warhammers aren't sledgehammers, they actualy have a very SMALL head. 4 lbs is again more reasonable.

A general rule of thumb I find gets me a FAIRLY decent weight is to simply halve the suggested weights. There are a few things they got wrong, but then, that's hardly limited to weight... Their treatment of Kukhri for example, is rather poor. Same damage as a dagger, yet an exotic weapon? A kukri is no harder to use than a hand-axe.

Zappo

Explorer
AFAIK, the weights are off because they are supposed to incorporate an 'encumbrance factor'. Thus the huge weights for large weapons.

Dremen

First Post
Actually your typical long sword would weigh 1.5 - 2.5 pounds. (Assuming steel weapons from Jain to Katana to Knightly Sword) It would be rare that one would weigh more than 3 pounds. This can be confirmed by museum pieces, historical writings, modern reproductions not meant for stage combat, but made with function in mind.

A double sword is simply 2 short swords and a longer wooden shaft. This would weigh no more than 6 pounds. But they list it as 30 pounds. it would not weight this much if it was made from lead. 30 pounds is about the wieght of an professional quality barbell. THis is ALLOT of weight.

I read and re-read the PHB and it simply states that this is how much the weapon weighs. It says nothing about the encumbrance.

I just want to hear Wizards say 'We pulled the weapon weights out of a hat' I'm sick of arguing with DMs over how much something weighs because wizards pulled something out of a hat and DMs take it as gospel.

I even had to bring a sword in and weigh it in front of a DM to prove my point.

-D

Tsyr

Explorer
Dremen said:
Actually your typical long sword would weigh 1.5 - 2.5 pounds. (Assuming steel weapons from Jain to Katana to Knightly Sword) It would be rare that one would weigh more than 3 pounds.

Actualy, I agree with you, despite my earlier point. But, _IF_ it was poorly crafted, and _IF_ it was a bit wider and thicker than the average sword, you MIGHT get it up to four pounds.

Dremen

First Post
A lower quality weapon would weigh more. Definitly. Some custom KNIFE makers (notice I said KNIFE) try to make swords like big knives and get a heavy improperly balanced blade.

I would rules these as having -1 hit. As being sub par.

I rule in my game longswords weigh 2.5 pounds. (3 with scabard)
I look up weights for the others and chose a suitable average.

A few ounces +/- in a sword makes a huge difference it how it handles and feels in your hand. How well it moves and responds to cuts and blows. When you change these ounces to pounds you get 'sword like objects' that you would have to cast polymorph any object on it to change it INTO a sword!

-D

Zappo

Explorer
Dremen said:
I read and re-read the PHB and it simply states that this is how much the weapon weighs. It says nothing about the encumbrance.
They didn't explicitly write it in the PHB, but that's where the high weights come from nonetheless. There was a similar thread (many months ago) and a designer said so. Increasing all weapon weights is much easier than having to use an encumbrance system distinct from the weight system, even though it is slightly less realistic.

jester47

First Post
Typical weight for a medieval war sword (longsword) was 3 lbs. Double weapons have high weights because they are hard to stowe. Think about carrying a stick with two blades on either end. You cant stick one end on the ground, it ruins the edge, putting it over your back might be dangerous if you turned around too quick. The 30 lbs takes all this into account. I think the listing is in the PHB.

Aaron.

Remove ads