• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Real world myths and legends: Who's Epic Level?

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
Re: Re: Re: Re: Real world myths and legends: Who's Epic Level?

bramadan said:

Gandalf ? Any wizard who fails to have fly spell memorized when spell-lunking either does not have it or is dumb. In conjuction with the fact that the most powerfull thing ever we see him cast is a flame-sphere I would say 4th level wizard with severely depleted list (and possibly a highish level fighter as he can use sword to some effect and has plenty of HP)

This post, I think, brings us nicely back to the original intent of this thread, and the question of 'what is epic'. I think some of our greatest heroes (fictional, non-fictional, and mythic alike) might have lower 'ability scores' in a D&D sense, but no one would deny that they could be considered epic - perhaps even in the D&D sense.

It seems to me that we invest some of ourselves in the characters whose stories we read, and that involvement causes us to attribute greater abilities to our favorites. Certainly, Gandalf would be an epic character, even though in the actual LotR books, he does not display his power in a flashy manner; we know in our hearts that he has more power than he lets on (and that is backed up by the backstory in the Silmarillion). Similarly, Odysseus is most certainly an epic character, even though we see him use his brains more than his brawn, especially in the Odyssey. Hector and Achilles are equally epic, even though they might be assigned stats of less than 20th level; their conflict is not just on the plains of Troy, but also in themselves (Achilles' rage vs. Hector's poise and honor - which would you rather have at your back?).

Arthur might be below 20th on someone's character sheet (even if he had Excaliber, and he did defeat Lancelot in battle), but his integrity and effect on his world push him over the top and would make him epic. As for real-world figures, what about Teddy Roosevelt? Sojourner Truth? George Washington? If we were to sit down and make a D&D-style character out of them, one might not give them the higest possible stats, but the power of their integrity, courage, and effect on their world would put them over the top.

All this to say that "epic" would be as much in what is not said as what is explicitly detailed. Our emotional investment colors our judgement when we create such rankings.

Last edited:

Deedlit

First Post
It is possible that the fly spell was in Gandalf's forbidden school.
And I think he summoned the Lord of the Eagles after losing to Saruman in FotR(I refuse to believe it was merely coincidence that the eagle came)

PenguinKing

First Post

bramadan said:
Gandalf ? Any wizard who fails to have fly spell memorized when spell-lunking either does not have it or is dumb. In conjuction with the fact that the most powerfull thing ever we see him cast is a flame-sphere I would say 4th level wizard with severely depleted list (and possibly a highish level fighter as he can use sword to some effect and has plenty of HP)
So what spell does a 4th-level wizard use to bring down a stone bridge in a single blow? ;)

- Sir Bob.

P.S. Nih!

S'mon

Legend
Re: Beowulf *not* outclassed by Sigurd

Crom and His Devils said:
Beowulf killed his own dragon, but was an old man when he did it. And this was years after swimming the seas in full armour and ripping arms off dastardly varmints.

I meant that Beowulf was outclassed by his dragon - even with his cohorts and his steel shield of dragon-breath resistance he was killed by the dragon. Of course Beowulf had a tough GM - his newly-gained +5 sword turned to dust when he cut Grendel's head off, AIR. Clearly the GM was not paying attention to the wealth-by-levels tables (I noticed 2e Legends & Lore had Beowulf still with his sword, yuck).

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Real world myths and legends: Who's Epic Level?

PenguinKing said:
So what spell does a 4th-level wizard use to bring down a stone bridge in a single blow? ;)

- Sir Bob.

P.S. Nih!

A third-level druid, assuming it's a natural bridge (or a bridge with natural underpinnings) uses soften earth and stone.

Daniel

S'mon

Legend

bramadan said:

Arthur I don't think so. I do not recall stories o him singlehandedly defeating hundereds and hundreds of enemy footmen. (As a matter of fact the English King much more likely to qualify for the Epic is Richard Lionheart based on the stories of his exploits in palestine...)

According to Welsh legend Arthur killed 900 Saxons at Badon Hill while Raging, with his sword Caliburn (Excalibur) so you're wrong there.

hong

WotC's bitch
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Real world myths and legends: Who's Epic Level?

S'mon said:

According to Welsh legend Arthur killed 900 Saxons at Badon Hill while Raging, with his sword Caliburn (Excalibur) so you're wrong there.

Mind you, "900" may well be the Welsh idiom for "more than one".

Sorta like gully dwarves.

stnu

First Post
going back in to topic:

-SonGoKu ? (Monkey king) of Journey to the West.
hey lots of spells: contigency, summoning, polymorph, I think he got the lot, short of a Wish but he did had divine intervention.
whacked the @#$@ out of most of the celestial bureucracy.
(at least 20th lvl fighter + respectable lvl in Sorceror & Shaman?)
And he is a character in an Epic Fiction :p

troy31

First Post
real people

For real people being epic level not yet mentioned (I hope):

Saladin
Atilla the Hunn
Musahi
Wayne Gretzky
Alexander the Great
Marco Polo (if Rolemaster xp for travel comes into play!)
Muhammad Ali
Billy the Kid

There are so many more... Just some quick examples off the top of my head. And yes, hockey player is a class. Hall of Famer is a prestigue class.

PenguinKing

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Real world myths and legends: Who's Epic Level?

Pielorinho said:
A third-level druid, assuming it's a natural bridge (or a bridge with natural underpinnings) uses soften earth and stone.
So - so now he's triple-class. Soundling less and less like a low-level mook all the time... ;)

- Sir Bob.

P.S. Nih!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads