• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

REALLY Old Stuff

Rakor

First Post
I work in a Gaming store and this is not an advertisement so I won't say which. Our owner has a habit of buying any used items he is offered and so we stockpile old stuff. We just received 2000+ boosters of Spellfire 1st edition and 200 copies of June 1982 Dragon.

We have a ton of this sort of stuff, how much interest is there in 26 year old Dragon mags? Are people still trying to get copies of BECMI adventures?

This stuff sits in storage and we very occasionally get someone who asks about it and we drag it out so they can buy it. What I am wondering is should we put effort into selling it? I can make shelf space, put up signs, set up Ebay auctions and otherwise let people know that we have it but is it worth the time and effort?

Scribble

First Post
I work in a Gaming store and this is not an advertisement so I won't say which. Our owner has a habit of buying any used items he is offered and so we stockpile old stuff. We just received 2000+ boosters of Spellfire 1st edition and 200 copies of June 1982 Dragon.

We have a ton of this sort of stuff, how much interest is there in 26 year old Dragon mags? Are people still trying to get copies of BECMI adventures?

This stuff sits in storage and we very occasionally get someone who asks about it and we drag it out so they can buy it. What I am wondering is should we put effort into selling it? I can make shelf space, put up signs, set up Ebay auctions and otherwise let people know that we have it but is it worth the time and effort?

Hrmm....

I'm not sure Spellfire was worth money even when it was new...

Rakor

First Post
The Spellfire thing was more as an example of things we carry that we really really don't need and will never sell. We have over 3000 boosters of the old Middle Earth CCG.

rkwoodard

First Post
worth ebaying

The Spellfire thing was more as an example of things we carry that we really really don't need and will never sell. We have over 3000 boosters of the old Middle Earth CCG.

If you are online at work and have slow time, Yes, it is probably worth ebaying it.

It may take some effort to bundle it so it sells, but yes, I would try.

RK

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
For every product, there is a price at which someone will buy it.

Dragon Magazine? My collection dates back to #44, and I still tap some of those older issues for ideas, fiction, games, etc. OTOH, where you are, you might only be able to find an internet buyer. You might be best off recycling them or donating them to a charity.

I know a lot of retailers- game stores and otherwise- set up virtual stores on ebay and other sites to sell their stock of things that just aren't moving too well. It seems to work pretty well, and doesn't require a heck of a lot of effort.

Then again, I can walk into a particular store here in Dallas/Fort Worth and know I can find things like the Hyborean Gates CCG in stock...it may be taking up space, but to people like me, its a form of advertising that that store can get OoP materials a bit more easily than some of the other FLGSs in which I shop. If I'm looking for an old or obscure game, its my first stop.

malraux

First Post
Are people still trying to get copies of BECMI adventures?

Ebay auctions or special "old school" sections might work. For classic stuff, there's some demand, e.g. I just bought the Planescape CS boxed set for ~$20 on ebay just for the posters to put up in my gaming area. That said, some stuff is crap and is probably costing him more to store than its worth. And unfortunately, its likely the stuff that didn't sell that he has sitting around. If he has employees sitting around it might be worth getting one or two to check ebay's completed listings to see if any of it has value.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch

Now I know the dead can communicate through the internet! (You must be dead because it's obvious you work in Heaven!;))

Now back to being serious. I agree that your best bet would probably be E-Bay. You'd probably make more money with auctioning them than you would selling them in the store anyways.

Remove ads