Realms of Enlightenment: The Grey Companions (final update posted 02.14.10)

Jon Potter

First Post
Rescuing the heart of a god gone insane. :devil:

And things go just about as well as you might expect.:eek:

Interesting how the party has been quick to replace their trust in Ahlear with Noxin even though technically the party has known both of them a collective 1 month's time.

Yep. It's the big PC tattoo on their foreheads that turns folks' hearts, I'm sure. ;)

But Ahlear's status as an undead did not endear him to any of the characters. So much so, in fact, that he's not long with our intrepid group. And Noxin's just a big, dumb galoot. I don't think he's capable of guile.

And ultimately the lack of options plays a big part in drawing Noxin into the party's trust.

Jon Potter

First Post
[Realms #455] How Do You Fight a Memory?

"Ohhh... unpredictable..." Morier deadpanned. "Sounds fun." The expression on his face made it clear that he truly felt it would be anything but.

"Why is nothing ever easy?" Huzair grumbled under his breath. Noxin scratched his chin thoughtfully.

"Maybe we could bring her some flowers... or a bunny. You know, to remind her of nature," he suggested. "It always cheered up me Mum." For a second, Huzair just looked at him, but then he laughed out loud.

"Now that's funny!" the wizard told him, clapping the half-giant on the back. Noxin shrugged.

"It was just a suggestion," he grinned, clearly not seeing the humor that Huzair did.

"So we must do battle with Dridana's essence?" Ahlear rasped, ignoring the foolishness.

"No, foul one!" Histah said. "You cannot battle what doesss not exissst! The demiurge isss an echo of Dridana... a memory fueled by the energiesss sssurrounding Dridana'sss Heart. She cannot be harmed by you. Nor can she harm you directly."

"So why'd you say there was danger?" Huzair asked.

"The demiurge hasss complete control over the environment inssside the prissson," the snake explained. "She will find waysss to harm you that do not require direct contact."

"Terrific," Morier sighed.

"So what can we expect to find in this prison?" Shamalin asked. "Are there actual bars and locked doors?" Histah chuckled.

"No, the prissson isss a mountaintop, plucked from thisss world and hurled into a pocket within the void," the serpent told her. "That isss her prissson, exisssting apart from the natural world, unreachable but by my power."

Later, after Huzair and Noxin had briefly gone topside to retrieve Sparky only to discover that the giants had moved out north shortly after sundown, the group made a small camp and readied themselves for sleep.

"I wonder what we should do with Anania's necklace," Huzair said, indicating the magical chain. "I would like to examine it before I go to sleep. It may come in useful to inform Lord Hofralix of what is going on."

"We do not owe Hofralix any further information," Shamalin said, covering the necklace with her cloak and putting a hand protectively atop it. "And he does not strike me as an ally."

"Anania was an ally and she was an agent of Lord Hofralix," the wizard countered, his eyes never leaving the spot where the device was hidden. "Does that not mean he or it is our ally as well? Perhaps he can help us still some how."

"We need to destroy it," the cleric said simply. "It's too dangerous."

"What harm can come from taking it with us?" Huzair asked, one eyebrow raised skeptically. "If I kept it in my bag, I could let him know only what I wanted to tell him.

"No, Huzair!" Shamalin insisted and Morier could see that Huzair wasn't going to give up the argument easily. He also recognized the similarities between this discussion and the one that they'd had with Ayremac over the samsara sword. With visions in his head of Shamalin leaving the group, the albino stepped forward.

"Let's put off the decision 'til the morning," he suggested. "We'll discuss what to do before Histah opens the gate."

Jon Potter

First Post
[Realms #456] High Plains Drifter

"What's with the beady little eyes, Shamalin?" Noxin asked, peering over the cleric's shoulder to where she had Anania's necklace hidden. She looked up into the big man's curious face and shifted awkwardly so that he wasn't towering over her.

"It's a... means of communication," Shamalin told him. "Anania was an agent of Lord Hofralix, and this necklace allowed her to send him updates on our progress from time to time."

"And that's bad?" the half-giant asked, trying to piece together the information that he had and finding the picture incomplete. Shamalin nodded.

"There was something unnatural about Hofralix and his city," the Mercybringer told him and Huzair laughed outloud at that.

"Unnatural?" he snorted. "I should say so! He was a beholder, for Nethlar's sake!" Noxin's jaw dropped open at that revelation and he turned to look at the elf maid's draped corpse.

"Right," Shamalin continued. "And now we are about to try to release the god of nature. I don't think we owe Hofralix any more information. And I can't imagine him sending along reinforcements on our behalf. He may already know too much about the swords." Noxin scratched his head, the mental struggle of putting all this information together showing plainly on his face.

"I don't trust Hofralix, either, Shamalin," Morier put in. "But I don't distrust him so much that I'm willing to take a strong stance on the necklace. If we keep it and keep it under cover and under wraps, as Huzair's suggested, I'm okay with having it until we have reason to get rid of it." Shamalin grimaced, her hand tightening on the necklace hidden beneath her cloak.

"I think it would be a very bad idea to take this necklace through the gate," she said, simply.

"Well, I have never been a fan of silent partners, I'll tell you... but I never met this Horlafax, so I guess I can't help much," Noxin stated with a shrug of his massive shoulders. Morier glance up at him and nodded once.

"It might prove useful and I don't think we're in a position to throw away anything that could provide assistance," the albino said to Shamalin. "And in that same regard, I think it's critical that each of us who have them be in control of our elemental blades as we go forward. It will be important for each of the blades' wielders to be familiar with what each is capable of so that we can think quickly and use its powers to the fullest extent."

"On what assumptions do you base this opinion?" Ahlear asked, stepping out of the nearby shadows. "What makes you think a single blade needs to be with each person?" Morier sighed and did not look up at the mummy.

"The four elemental weapons we possess are the four "keys" that we need to reunite Dridana's heart and body," the eldritch warrior explained, his hand was unconsciously rubbing at the spot on his chest where the strange black tattoo marked him as linked to the mummy. "I don't think keeping it hidden away and just saying, 'there, we have it' is going to do us any good... I think it will need to be used and we won't know when that time will come. So someone needs to be wielding it when it does."

"I think we have to weigh the advantages of keeping the fourth sword 'safe' in Huzair's Haversack against the strategic advantages that someone wielding the sword and its powers gives us," Shamalin offered, and it was clear from her body language that when she said 'someone' she meant Noxin. "It certainly makes more sense to me that someone use the sword and all its abilities as we enter these tests. Carrying it this far was a different story. Putting it in Huzair's bag then made more sense. Now it has to be used." There were nods all around... mostly.

"Using them and wielding them are two different things," Ahlear scoffed. "Having the item sheathed whilst in your possession should be enough to keep it near to hand for when you actually need it properly to free the heart. I think that whoever it is that guards the prison of the heart, will not be fooled by some mere mundane sheaths. The creature will sense the keys anyway."

"Is this just because we want to give Windblade to Noxin and not you?" Huzair asked and Ahlear shook his head quickly.

"I have already declined the offer of the blade once. I do not feel I have earned such a right," the mummy assured him. "But I do disagree that Noxin should get hold of one so fast for the same reason. He has done nothing to earn the party's trust yet. And he has been with the party itself for only a few hours now..." Ahlear looked up at Noxin and the half-giant flashed him a smile. Morier sighed and rubbed his forehead.

"Do we trust Noxin enough to give it to him? That may be questionable," the albino amitted. "Do we have a better option? I certainly don't see one."

"If Noxin and Ahlear, the mummy, are both willing to come with us through the gate, with the intent to help free Dridana, then I think they also have to be considered worthy of a sword," Shamalin said, looking at the two candidates. They could hardly have been more different: Noxin was huge, fairly bursting with vitality; Ahlear was the withered embodiment of death itself.

"We don't have the time and I don't have the energy to debate this all night long," Morier sighed, walking over to the newcomer. "Noxin, if you will pledge yourself to follow our cause, we would gladly have your might alongside our own. You are more than welcome to your share of whatever treasure awaits our success - it stands to be rather large, I believe - and if you so desire, you may have a cut of mine. Treasure is not why I walk this path. One of us must wield Windblade through the coming tests, and you seem most well-fit to do that."

"I'm always lookin' for a nice tussle," the half-giant said gravely. Then smiling again he added, "Treasure's not bad either."

"Give it to me," Morier said to Huzair, holding out his hand. The mage gave it to him and Morier in turn handed Windblade to Noxin, cautioning, "Misuse it and I will let Huzair set your testicles on fire while you sleep."

"Do not imagine I would not do it either," the wizard said, causing with a word flames to dance on his fingertips. The half-giant looked disdainfully at the mage's display.

"You're gonna need a bigger fire," Noxin grinned, flicking his eyes meaningfully at his groin. Huzair looked at him incredulous for a moment and then a laugh burst from his lips.

After tending to Anania as best she could, Shamalin spent time reviewing Ledare's journal and other writings for any clues that might help them. She found some notes that purported to be the actual words of an angel that had visited Ledare and the others in a town called Hillsville Junction. They read:

'After her forces were defeated and her son locked away,
the goddess of decay and disease ripped the living heart
from the goddess of things that grow in the earth. Aphyx bound
Dridana's essence to a red gemstone and secreted it away so that
her spark could not be reborn into a new godform. For the
Queen of Rot knew that the Fruitful One would always oppose her
and thus has Brogine's twin languished since the Age of Pestilence."​

And then, pondering this information, she rested.

Waterday, the 16th of Readying, 1270 AE​

The early morning light drifted feebly through the portal that lead by a steep climb upward to the surface. Dust motes twirled silently through the air, reflecting the light and lending the hall an eerie otherworldly quality. A shadow suddenly blocked the light coming in and a few moments later a dark gray horse with a cloaked rider entered the hall where the party was sleeping under the watchful eye of the mummy - who, of course, had no need for sleep any longer.

The horse's hooves made no sound as it moved wraithlike into the room, its procession seeming very ominous indeed.

The rider stayed astride the horse whilst the mummy looked at the newcomer askance. After a few moments Ahlear moved quietly to the rider and they began speaking in hushed voices. All the while, the rider stayed mounted during the conversation, talking down at the mummy in conspiratorial tones. The man seemed utterly composed while Ahlear began to grow more agitated by degree.

"No!" the mummy shouted at last, breaking the silence and waking the rest of the party from there well-earned sleep.

"Who the hell're you?!" Noxin demanded as he rose, hammer ready in his fist. The cloaked figure raised a finger.

"One moment, please," the man said calmly, but loud enough for the others to hear. "My business with Ahlear is not yet concluded."

The mummy seemed to deflate after his outburst and bowed his head with a dry rattling sigh. After another moment's pause, he removed the necklace and ring off his person and gave them to the newcomer. They spoke some more, the newcomer looking dubiously at the two items he has been given. He did not make any move to place them on his person, but neither did he throw them away or pocket them. Instead, he kept them all the while in his hand during the remainder of their conversation.

While the two figures spoke on the far side of the chamber, the others took the opportunity to study the rider who had somehow managed to get a horse down the steep stairs leading up to the island above. His armor seemed made in the same style as the armor Ahlear wore, albeit more solidly built, reinforced in places with chain rather than leather. But the same large leathery plates predominated.

Beneath the armor, he was dressed in what looked like a full regalia uniform, decorated everywhere with heavy filigree, the jacket visible beneath his armor holding many braided ropes of gold and white. Sandy white gloves and high, gleaming black horseman's riding boots that reached up to and then over his knees completed the impression of a military officer. A hooded, weathered cloak of dark brown leather concealed his features mostly but it could be seen that he had a heavy mustache and long hair hanging over his shoulders.

The horse itself seemed insubstantial and ghostly but bore its rider without any apparent effort. It did not move at all, and they had all been around enough horses in their lifetimes to know that the thing wasn't a real horse.

After the conversation with Ahlear has died out, the rider turned to the group and nodded. "You were saying?" he prompted, calmly awaiting their questions.

Last edited:

Jon Potter

First Post
[Realms #457] The Way Beyond the Green

"I was sayin', who in the nine hells are you?" Noxin repeated, pointing his maul at the newcomer to dispel any doubt who he was talking to.

"Well, I am the relief force, so to speak," the man said, not betraying any fear of the angry half-giant as he went on. He gestured toward Ahlear as he spoke. "I was sent by my mistress, Akadi, to relieve your group of an 'ethical dilemma', and to insure that her loyal servant was not misjudged regarding his loyalty and sincerety. And to make sure that the interests of my 'Lady' were still seen to as well, of course." Morier snorted at the speech and turned away, seemingly disinterested.

"Well then, shall we call you 'Mr. Ethical Dilemma Solver'?" he quipped before turning back to their camp. The horseman drew himself up even taller and straighter on his ghostly steed and looked disapprovingly at the albino.

"Do you address every unknown person with such impolite insolence?" he asked, his tone acidic. "If you wished to know my name, all you had to do was politely ask me, maybe even introduce yourself first."

Morier did not respond and Shamalin and Huzair both gave him reproachful looks.

"Well, guy, that is a friendly greeting for this crew. I got the end of an axe shoved in my face by a smelly dwarf when I joined up. Your greeting was quite civil, by comparison. At least no one spit on your head either," Huzair laughed as he hit Noxin's rock solid arm and winced. The horseman raised an eyebrow.

"If that was nice, then we might have to adjust our expectations a bit, mutually, but fair enough. I hope we can be civil in any regard," he said, whilst bowing his head respectfully. "Well then, to satisfy your curiosity, I am Colonel Saelus Suhn, semi-retired that is... and you, good sirs and ladies are..?"

"Well, name's Noxin," the half-giant said, stepping forward with a grin on his face. "I'm not the guy to ask what's going on though. Just joined this motley crew a night's passage ago."

"Well met," the Colonel said with a nod already turning his eyes to the next in line. But Noxin wasn't quite done.

"I gotta ask... what are the interests of 'your lady' and how are you going to serve them?" he questioned.

"That, sir, I am not yet sure of myself. But I presume that helping you lot with your quest is the beginning of pleasing her," said the newcomer, once more looking to one of the others. Again, he was interrupted.

"I'm confused..." Noxin admitted, scratching his brow... something of a familiar habit, even in just a night's time. "Mind ya, that's not hard to do. You're sent to relieve us of a dilemma and to make sure we didn't judge the zombie?" He pointed at the silent Ahlear standing in the Colonel's shadow.

"Ahlear is a mummy, not a zombie. There is a fundamental difference," Saelus corrected. "And by not having him continue on with the quest it ensures that our intentions show we mean the best." This time, the Colonel did not immediately look away, but prompted Noxin with an 'is that all?' expression.

"How'd ya find yer'self lined up for that mission?" the big man went on, showing that that was in fact not all.

"Not by 'free will or choice'," the newcomer said. "Akadi made herself known to me via one of her servants, and she bid me to go after you lot. Which seems to be a conundrum for a goddess of freedom and independence." Saelus smiled at the irony and Noxin scratched his head again.

"Uh huh," he said, clearly confused. "So how'd ya find us?"

"That was easy almost," Saelus said with a nod. "I am good at following rumors, if I may say so myself." Huzair sighed.

"Well that likely means anyone else looking for us can find us too," the wizard observed looking at Shamalin and Morier. Only Shamalin looked back. "Like that stupid sorcerer who was following us around."

"What sorcerer?" the Colonel asked, his interest piqued. "Have you got a hound after you?"

Huzair opened his mouth to answer, but Noxin talked right over him.

"Wait up here, feller," he said and pointed his hammer at Saelus again, though not in an overtly threatening manner. "You're telling me that you tracked this group here?"

"Yes, in a way," the newcomer admitted. "I followed the stories and events that happened, and was able to travel much faster then a normal horseman would by means of some spells I have mastered."

"Spells you have mastered, huh? Are you some sort of sorcerer or wizard or something too, Colonel?" Huzair asked lighting up a cigar from his thumb in an effort to impress the man. "Maybe we can chat it up sometime about our magic experiences." The Colonel nodded accommodatingly.

"I would hope that you would have useful spells and that we could trade?" Saelus said. "I am of the disciplined arcane variety, a Summoner." Huzair nodded.

"I have taken a broader approach to-" he began and Noxin interrupted again, having just put some of the pieces together.

"What kinda trouble are you folks all in here?" he asked the room. "I mean, I don't want to be fightin' off every hobgoblin in the realm because you leave a trail of bread crumbs behind you!" The Colonel smiled indulgently.

"Anybody who travels leaves a trail behind if and when they come in contact with the 'locals'. And that way, when I roughly knew where I was heading, I had a good time of finding interesting events by which to follow the group," he explained. "It was easy for me. But then again, any pursuers might not be as expert as I am in regards to 'reading the rumors'." That seemed to satisfy Noxin or at least confuse him enough that he retreated quietly into his own thoughts.

Shamalin seized the opportunity to ask curiously, "What are the locals saying about us?"

"I am sure they are saying that the group is being masterly led by a clever and dashing dark skinned wizard to serve the powers of good," Huzair answered quickly, smiling broadly around the cigar clamped in his teeth. "I am sure I have left scores of maidens yearning for me to return." Huzair sighed then and looked sad for a moment, thinking of his little flower and how he would love to kill Hista to avenge her death. Shamalin saw the look cross Huzair's face and she could imagine his thought process. She frowned given the next question she wanted to ask.

"You didn't get your information from a severed flying eye, by chance, did you?" the Mercybringer questioned and Huzair shot her an angry look. Saelus' was much more confused.

"I have not had such an opportunity, no..." he admitted hesitantly.

"I guess I will have to whoop anyone else who shows up on our tails," Huzair said, his lip curled in disgust. Noxin looked at the wizard appraisingly, not sure he was fit to whoop much of anything. He shrugged.

"Well, looks pretty obvious you found us... that's for sure," the half-giant said to Saelus. "But on to somethin' important: What do you bring to the table in way of skills or training?"

"Ah! Well, in addition to my skills at intelligence gathering, I am an accomplished war wizard, a skilled swordsman, and a trained military tactician," Saelus said without a hint of boastfulness.

"So you cast spells and are a warrior, huh?" Huzair observed and got a mischievous look on his face. "Hey, Morier. At least this guy knows how to use his spells." Huzair laughed, but Morier didn't even look up from where he was breaking down camp.

"I can hit hard... move fast... and take a beating, so to speak," Noxin told the group simply. Then, looking a little bashful he added, "I like to think of myself as a puzzle solver. You know, traps and little clues left by people when you're looking for treasure."

"Okay, then. This question can be addressed to both of you," Shamalin said, looking from Noxin to the Colonel and back again. "What gifts would you bring the trapped essence of the goddess of nature?"

"You don't think a bunny'd be a good gift?" Noxin said, his feelings hurt. "My mom always liked it."

"I was thinking more along the lines of a nice plant? Or a bit of cool, clear water from a stream?" Shamalin told him. "Can someone trap a bit of moonlight or sunlight?"

"Hey! I am a ray of sunshine!" Huzair quipped.

"Please, Huzair, I'm trying to be serious," the cleric chided. "Maybe we should gather gifts that would represent the four elements, just as our swords do. If Dridana is irritable and unpredictable due to her confinement, maybe the gift of life would make an impression."

"There is a spell called Daylight," Huzair observed. "But I don't know it."

"Ayremac did," Shamalin said under her breath, too softly to be heard.

"And, at any rate, the light generated is not true sunlight," Colonel Saelus added. "There are certain druid spells that produce actual sunlight. Anger of the Noonday Sun comes to mind, but as we have no druid..." He looked sideways at Ahlear, but the mummy said nothing.

"What happens to the mummy?" Morier called out without turning.

"Ah, yes," the Colonel said, dismounting and offering the reins to Ahlear. "The mummy goes the way I came, by Akadi's providence."

"Prepare yourssselvesss," Histah told them and a spiral of light began to form in the air beside the altar. It gradually grew in size and intensity until it was fully ten feet across and painful to look at. A smell wafted out onto them, like moss-covered earth and the meadow after a rain.

Morier could feel the Pull intensify as the portal opened and he nearly fell over from the unexpected strength of it. But he mastered himself quickly and, grim-faced, stepped through and disappeared. A moment later, he did fall, a pain throbbing in the center of his skull, a painful wave of stings and bites playing maddeningly across his face and neck and shoulders.

Something wet was on him and he felt himself shaken this way and that...

Shamalin slapped him.

"Morier!" she cried out into his face and shook him again. Struggling, his eyes focused on her and he saw that she too was wet. Water was falling on them both.

"I can't..." he muttered. "I can't think! The Pull... so strong... It's here. The heart is here!"

"Where?" Huzair asked, wiping water off his face. The Mark of Fire burned on his naked brow, unaffected by the drenching. He looked around, disturbed by something he couldn't quite pinpoint.

"Yeah!" Noxin agreed. "There ain't much to this place!"

He was right - to a point. The entire area was only a few hundred feet across at most and completely flat. A dense growth of rubbery, green plants grew to waist height all around the clearing in which they had appeared; a few trees, stark and dead clawed upward, their branches stripped of leaves. There was earth and stone beneath their feet, but the place was utterly unnatural apart from that. The ground ended abruptly in the distance all around them in a mass of swirling iridescent clouds that encapsulated the area. Water fell like rain onto the spot where they stood, draining away into a narrow crevice a few paces away.

It wasn't rain, however. Above them, hovering dangerously in the strange sky a hundred feet over their heads was an irregular island of dark rock. The water poured over the side, becoming like rain as it fell.

"There!" Morier managed, pointing to the island. "Up there... is where we need to be."

"Can you feel that?" Colonel Saelus asked Huzair. "This place is charged with magic power... Unstable magic power. I'd be careful about casting spells if I were you."

"I'm confused..." Noxin admitted, scratching his brow... something of a familiar habit, even in just a night's time. "Mind ya, that's not hard to do. You're sent to relieve us of a dilemma and to make sure we didn't judge the zombie?" He pointed at the silent Ahlear standing in the Colonel's shadow.

As I read the above, this was the first thing I thought of:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXlUzu2SPkY]YouTube - columbo - "i really love my work, sir"[/ame]

"Ahlear is a mummy, not a zombie. There is a fundamental difference," Saelus corrected. "And by not having him continue on with the quest it ensures that our intentions show we mean the best." This time, the Colonel did not immediately look away, but prompted Noxin with an 'is that all?' expression.

Ahlear: "And I would've gotten away with it too if it weren't for you meddling kids and your dog (Sparky)"

"Can you feel that?" Colonel Saelus asked Huzair. "This place is charged with magic power... Unstable magic power. I'd be careful about casting spells if I were you."

Well, with that kind of statment he might as well be taunting Huzair to cast a spell. In fact this is like a double dog dare to Huzair..... I bet we see fireballs and lots of them :D

Jon Potter

First Post
[Realms #458] The Demiurge

"This power here is somewhat intoxicating... huh?" Noxin slurred, idly slapping Huzair on the shoulder. The wizard stumbled to the side, colliding lightly with Saelus. Both mages looked angrily at the barbarian, but Noxin wasn't paying them any attention. Instead, he gripped Windblade tightly in his fist, muscles rippling as he marvelled at the raw energy coursing in the air around him.

"I think I can feel this fueling me..." he grinned breathily, his eyes wide as he raised the air sword above his head.

"I do not think an amatuer should mess with this," Huzair cautioned even as he scrambled back away from the half-giant.

If Noxin heard him, he did not heed the warning and presently raw tendrils of energy began to coalesce out of the air above his head, arcing like lightning into Windblade and from there into Noxin. For a moment his grin widened and then, abruptly, he was thrown backward by an overload of unchecked energy. He lay there for a moment, smoking, then he sat up, holding his head.

"Ow," he said, abashed.

"Now is not the time for foolishness," Morier scolded through gritted teeth. It was clear that it was taking a tremendous amount of will power for him to speak with the Pull distracting him so. He pointed at the island above their heads. "We are so close to our goal."

"How are we going to get up there exactly?" Noxin snorted as he got gingerly to his feet.

"Oh, it looks like it is up to me again to solve the problems of the party," Huzair quipped, opening the flap on his Haversack and producing a tiny pouch from within. "Magic dust time." Saelus peered at the pouch as Huzair carefully pulled the drawstring, revealing its glittering contents.

"Fairy Dust!" the wizard observed. "Dust of Levitation, if I'm not mistaken." Huzair nodded.

"Levitation dust?!? I ain't that fond of floating around there, wizard," Noxin observed as he looked over the two men's heads to see the pouch. "More of a boots on the ground type. Do we have any other options?" The half-giant looked around at the others and they each shook their heads in turn.

"Flyboy would have come in handy here," Huzair mused as he offered the Dust around.

"Your flyboy? Who?" Saelus asked and Huzair shook his head, making a 'never mind' gesture. "At any rate, a flying boy would probably have been useful only if he did not mind playing the boatman and ferrying one of us across each time. Ineffective and cumbersome..." Huzair shrugged.

"Well, he would not have minded and it would have worked better than standing here getting all wet," he said, overing Shamalin a pinch of the Dust.

"Well, you know him better so I defer to your judgment on that," Saelus said and sprinkled his pinch of Fairy Dust over his head.

"Sounds like a wonderful feller," Noxin observed. "What did you lot do to run him off?"

"We did very little, actually. He did it to himself," Huzair explained as Morier took a pinch of Dust. "He felt his own agenda was more important than ours." He came around to Noxin and offered the pouch. There was very little of the Dust left and Noxin's thick fingers couldn't fit inside. He ended up licking his pinky finger and sticking it into the pouch, coming out with a finger encrusted with tiny glittering crystals that he rubbed unceremoniously in his unruly hair.

Huzair grimaced, peered into the pouch and upended its meager contents on his own head.

"That's the end of the Dust," he told the others as he replaced the empty pouch into his Haversack. "By the way, do we have an escape route planned?"

His question was met with blank stares.

"Right. I thought as much," he said and sighed. "I can save Fly for the way down if we need a rapid escape."

"Let's just worry about getting there, first," Shamalin suggested, looking nervously at the island above. She remembered well how near to death she had come trying to retrieve the Key of Earth under similar circumstances. They had lost Lela there, and she wondered prophetically who amongst them would come to the end of their days in this place.

"I'll go up first if you all want," Noxin offered, pointing with Windblade. The longsword looked almost like a dagger in his big hand. "I don't mind being the first into the fray."

"Hold on," Huzair said, taking his familiar from his pocket. "I will send up Sparky first for some quick surveillance. Be safe, little buddy." He tossed the hummingbird into the air and it flitted off into the sky.

"What do we do in the meantime?" Noxin asked. "Poke around down here?"

"No!" Morier and Shamalin said at the same time and the barbarian scowled.

"Now we prepare," Huzair said, walking over to Morier. He looked at Saelus and said, "Buffing is a good time to test the magic. I'll start with Morier." The eldritch warrior raised an eyebrow at the wizard.

"Of course, I can take care of myself if I have to Huzair," he said with some effort, "but why worry about it when I have the rest of you around to do it for me?" Huzair snorted once.

"Damn straight! We have been carrying your sorry ass for how many months now?" he told the albino. Then in a quieter voice, he added, "Save the spells for that sword of yours, Morier."

Morier smiled. He could see the uncertainty in the wizard's eyes and hear it in his voice. He placed a hand on the dark-skinned man's shoulder.

"We'll make it, Huzair," he reassured. "I believe the fates have selected me to do this... and I will. I was meant to survive this, and I will cast my buffing spells at the first sign of trouble..." Huzair threw up his hands in mock disgust.

"If I have said it once, I have said it a thousand times. Buff BEFORE we get into trouble," the wizard scoffed. "Oh, you will never learn."

Just then Sparky returned from his reconnaissance mission and twittered to Huzair the details of the area above.

"He says there is some kind of ruin up there. Fallen columns and such like in the Termlane Forest where I first hooked up with you guys," the wizard related. "There are two big trees that look dead, a spring that is the source of this 'rain' and... a pedestal with a huge red gemstone on top."

"The Heart!" Shamalin exclaimed involuntarily. She'd been reading about it for so long in Ledare's notes that it was shocking to suddenly find herself so close to it.

"I'll go up first, Morier," Noxin said immediately, holding out his arms. "Huzair, you grab one side; Shamalin... you on the other." Huzair shook his head.

"We should all Levitate up in a different spot or spread out by say 20-30 feet so a single spell cannot afffect us all simultaneously," the mage suggested. "Personally, I do not want to die."

"We expectin' a spellcaster up there?" Noxin asked, his brow furrowed. Huzair shrugged.

"I do not know what to expect," the wizard admitted. "None of us does." Noxin considered that and then looked at Windblade.

"Sword, I am Noxin," he said directly into the weapon's nearly-invisible crosspiece. "I will wield you with a strength you have not yet seen."

"Do as you will," Windblade sighed. "I am eager to fulfill my destiny. I feel its tug on me and would have my part in this fulfilled."

"Tell me, ancient sword, can you tell anything of this place?" the barbarian asked.

"It is outside of nature," the weapon said. "it is sustained by the power of My Lady's Heart. There is an essence of Her here. It is gathering itself."

"Can you assist us here in some way?" Noxin pressed, hopeful.

"I will do what I can," Windblade said. "We all will do our parts, but powerful though we may be, we are but the smallest part of Her power." Noxin turned to the others.

"Well, that don't sound too good, does it?" he grinned and Huzair raised Flameblade and spoke to it.

"Tell us anything else before we go up there to perhaps die," the mage said simply.

"She is gathering awareness," the sword crackled. "Your advantage disappears as you stand here talking." They all looked at one another.

"Let's move," Morier ordered. "We should try to keep a logical spacing between us so that we can't all be wiped out by a single spell."

"Gee what a great idea, Morier," Huzair quipped, rolling his eyes. "You sure are brilliant!"

Morier opened his mouth to say something, but at that moment an unearthly scream split the air, like talons shrieking across a steel breastplate.

"SHE COMES!" Stoneblade thundered a moment before a face of luminous smoke twenty feet tall coalesced out of the air. It was a woman, they could all see, impossibly beautiful and impossibly horrible because of the madness in her eyes and the rictus of pain into which her mouth was twisted. She opened her jaw and screamed again and they felt the full weight of her anguish and lost godhood slam into them like a battering ram.

Confronted with the essence of a divinity, their ranks broke immediately. Huzair and Morier dropped their weapons and bolted into the tall grass. A moment later, Shamalin did the same, tossing her shield aside for good measure and clanking after her more fleet-footed companions. All three screamed in complete panic as they went, their minds all but unhinged.

They left three elemental swords abandoned on the ground as they went.

Noxin and Saelus did not immediately flee from the face of Dridana, but they both felt the powerful urge to run just the same. The urge only increased as they watched a great, moving heap of earth and rock the size of a small tower rise up from the ground on crude legs. Two clublike arms studded with jagged stone hung from its shoulders, and its head was nothing but a blunt, featureless mass of earth, but the crude features staring down at them were twisted with malevolence.

-------------------

OOC- So, anyone familiar with Malhavoc Press' event book Requiem for a God might recognize some of these effects. The entirety of the demiplane is within an Energy Well, for instance, which is straight out of that book. Noxin attempted (and failed) to channel some of that energy into himself when they first arrived.
Confronting Dridana's demiurge, required consultation of another book entirely. Atlas Games' Seven Strongholds has rules for when mortals come face to face with the divine called Primal Dread. The dice were unfavorable at this point, and only the two newbies of the party managed to hold their ground when stared down by the fallen goddess; the others all epically failed their Primal Dread checks and ran, panicked.

"This power here is somewhat intoxicating... huh?" Noxin slurred, idly slapping Huzair on the shoulder. The wizard stumbled to the side, colliding lightly with Saelus. Both mages looked angrily at the barbarian, but Noxin wasn't paying them any attention. Instead, he gripped Windblade tightly in his fist, muscles rippling as he marvelled at the raw energy coursing in the air around him.

"I think I can feel this fueling me..." he grinned breathily, his eyes wide as he raised the air sword above his head.

-------------------

OOC- So, anyone familiar with Malhavoc Press' event book Requiem for a God might recognize some of these effects. The entirety of the demiplane is within an Energy Well, for instance, which is straight out of that book. Noxin attempted (and failed) to channel some of that energy into himself when they first arrived.
Confronting Dridana's demiurge, required consultation of another book entirely. Atlas Games' Seven Strongholds has rules for when mortals come face to face with the divine called Primal Dread. The dice were unfavorable at this point, and only the two newbies of the party managed to hold their ground when stared down by the fallen goddess; the others all epically failed their Primal Dread checks and ran, panicked.

Not to give anything away, but nearly the same situation occurs in my game Jon, only it works for the PC in question and a new deity is created in the process.... :cool:

Jon Potter

First Post
Not to give anything away, but nearly the same situation occurs in my game Jon, only it works for the PC in question and a new deity is created in the process.... :cool:

Ah, the vagaries of the dice. Not quite sure what Noxin would have been the god of, but it would have been interesting if it had gone another way in my game.

As it is, things are about to get bloody...

I look forward to reading all about it in you story hour. With my new work schedule I'm finding less and less time to keep up with my story hour habit.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Characters

Could you give overall level or classes of characters?

You have interesting story hour and I find in-group conflict refreshing altough they still lack proper suspicion toward new PCs...

I'd probably end up like Ahlear with my suspicion :)

Remove ads