• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Reaper's Legendary Encounters, August 6th

JustKim

First Post
reapermini.com said:
The official Release date of Legendary Encounters, our new non-blind, non-collectible line of Pre-Painted Plastic Miniatures has been set - August the 6th, 2007. We're very excited to finally be able to show pictures of these fantastic new models! An entire New Gallery has been added with pictures of these minis larger-than life! And, yes, these are production pieces, not the prototypes. You can expect the miniature you buy to look like the ones in the photos!

Legendary Encounters - Because your Encounters should be Random, not your Miniatures!
http://www.reapermini.com/gallery/LegendaryEncounters

Kunimatyu

First Post
Not bad for the first run, not bad at all.

I will say that those minis need a Dip (paint-on MinWax Polyshades - Antique Walnut Satin) pretty badly -- with that, they'd look incredible.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
Very nice! Looking at the price list from the website:

Skeleton Swordsmen (3) $5.79
Skeleton Archers (3) $5.79
Skeleton Spearmen (3) $5.79
Skeleton Swordsman $1.99
Skeleton Archer $1.99
Skeleton Spearman $1.99
Orc Warriors with Scimitars (3) $6.99
Orc Archers (3) $6.99
Orc Spearmen (3) $6.99
Orc Warrior with Scimitar $2.49
Orc Archer $2.49
Orc Spearman $2.49
Cave Troll $3.99
Ogre Chieftain $4.99
Minotaur of the Maze $5.99

...it looks like they're reasonably priced as well for what I'm looking for. Bravo!

--Steve

I think some people will find that the minis aren't as cheap as they originally anticipated. I'm glad to see Reaper giving it a go, but I think for the most part I can get these figures in the D&D minis line for just as cheap (except maybe the Minotuar) via the secondary market.

Once they have the base models covered, Reaper should stick to doing the "Rare" minis in the D&D line. Since they are the ones that are expensive on the secondary market, they are the minis that people are most likely to buy from Reaper if they can do it for cheaper.

Olaf the Stout

FATDRAGONGAMES

First Post
Olaf the Stout said:
Once they have the base models covered, Reaper should stick to doing the "Rare" minis in the D&D line. Since they are the ones that are expensive on the secondary market, they are the minis that people are most likely to buy from Reaper if they can do it for cheaper.

Olaf the Stout

Agreed. I think they look great, but I may do some additional touch up on the skeleton's bones.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
I like the minotaur and ogre. I can get the troll slasher cheaper so I don't need the troll. I'll probably get a pair of those minotaurs though.

rgard

Adventurer
FATDRAGONGAMES said:
Agreed. I think they look great, but I may do some additional touch up on the skeleton's bones.

Yes, a dip or ink wash would bring out the detail a little better. I am really glad they are producing these!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,
Rich

It's nice to see that they adapted their superior metal techniques to plastics (there was some speculation that they were building ground up when photos weren't originally released.)
The paint is really good for mass production, I'm currently touching up or re-painting nearly everything out of a DDM box, so the re-paint isn't something I expected to go away, however, from first blush, it does look like the re-paint is minimized which is all the more reason to go with these.

I have this strange feeling that the giants are going to be their biggest seller once they start doing those, but it appears that Reaper's own mini warfare game 'Warlord' is integrating these figures into their ruleset, so I would expect the regular pre-painted lines to continue (ie humans, orcs, undead, dwarves, elves, etc.) in order to bulk up their own army lines for less money. Of course, I have been known to be wrong before. :)

Of course, for those of us buying monsters (ie DMs), this will end up being a God send. :cool:

Remove ads