• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Recently bought 5.0, being drawn to 1981 Moldvay Basic

pemerton

Legend
Moldvay Basic is great, but be forewarned: it's a surprisingly unforgiving game. It expects large parties (6-8 characters) and players willing to avoid, negotiate with and retreat from monsters. If they don't their PCs will die, a lot.
Along these lines, here is a nice post on running Moldvay Basic: https://plus.google.com/+lukecrane/posts/Q8qRhCw7az5

This is also interesting, though maybe coming at the game from a less-typical angle: http://www.story-games.com/forums/discussion/17217/b-x-d-d-a-story-gamer-tries-to-understand-moldvay

Voadam

Legend
Moldvay was my first D&D product and I really like it. On rereading it recently though the initiative rules are less clear than I remember and the example of play seemed to contradict them.

I do think the one letdown of Moldvay is combat; I find the combat sequence to be a little awkward even though the basic mechanics are solid.

Personally, playing today I'd ditch the per-side initiative and combat sequence and just use cyclic initiative.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Yeah, D&D Rules Cyclopedia plus the D&D Gazetteers (if you can also find those) lets you flavor your campaign world to practically any fantasy taste you like; these books are easily my favorite of all of early D&D.

The Rules Cyclopedia actually teaches you how to build a world from scratch and maintain it in addition to the basic rules; if nothing else, get this book.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
The Starter Set is designed to be playable without any other books, so you could start playing that now and read through the DMG at your leisure.

Moldvay Basic is great, but be forewarned: it's a surprisingly unforgiving game. It expects large parties (6-8 characters) and players willing to avoid, negotiate with and retreat from monsters. If they don't their PCs will die, a lot.
Now you're talking. The D&D Basic Rules are 178 pages, which is more digestible than the three books. An experienced DM can get a LOT of mileage out of the BR, but a new DM should pick up the Starter Set.

I think you just sold me on the Moldvay Basic, Libramarian. It sounds like the game expects roleplaying, which is always nice.

Libramarian

Adventurer
IMHO, D&D needs a LOT more of this stuff!!! Otherwise, it can get tedious fairly quickly.....
I agree. I like how Basic and 1e are fun to play even if the DM and players don't care much about the story.

I am running the Temple of Elemental Evil right now as a pure dungeon bash and it's great. I as the DM didn't even know the backstory of the temple until the players were halfway through it, because it's poorly explained and I think poorly thought-out. But the encounters and treasures are excellent.

(I hate it when an adventure wants me to keep track of details I could do a better job making up on the spot)

I think you just sold me on the Moldvay Basic, Libramarian. It sounds like the game expects roleplaying, which is always nice.

Depends what you mean by roleplaying. I get plenty of instrumental roleplaying but not a whole lot of dramatic roleplaying.

I think it encourages a certain type of character--the broadly competent, risk-seeking, itinerant, morally dubious pulp fantasy rogue. It discourages any debilitating character flaws and doesn't offer much support for characters who care about something bigger than their own bloody thrills.

Cugel the Clever and the Grey Mouser fit right in. Force-of-nature barbarians with gigantic melancholies and racial memories are OK in a secondary role, but don't work so well as the party face. If you use and have the heart to enforce the alignment rules, then you might get a character bound by a moral code that seems kind of bolted on and not very well-integrated into the rest of their personality, like Batman.

"Quests" are more like mercenary contracts and even your retainers/henchmen are more likely to be the Lando to your Han than a faithful life-indebted Wookiee (if you use the Loyalty rules. If you don't, they're like Chewbacca).

Razuur

First Post
A couple of months ago the D&D Rules Cyclopedia pdf was on sale for $5 and I decided it would be good to have in the collection. I always had the sneaking suspicion I was missing out on something all those years I was playing AD&D (or our homebrew system). After reading through it my suspicions were confirmed.

There is an OSR version of the Rules Cyclopedia called Dark Dungeons You can get it in print from lulu for very reasonable price. Just a thought if you want the rules in a cheap hardback. It is a great tome.

P.

A

amerigoV

There is an OSR version of the Rules Cyclopedia called Dark Dungeons You can get it in print from lulu for very reasonable price. Just a thought if you want the rules in a cheap hardback. It is a great tome.

P.

I appreciate the info.

I am not sure I will ever actually play these rules. If I ever pick RC it will be more as a collector than for the actual rules.

Remove ads