• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Recharge/Spellpoint Remix

The Lost Muse

First Post
Recharge Magic + Spell Points
Use recharge magic as written, except
  • Gathering mana requires a concentration check (DC 10), and takes the appropriate amount of time to charge a spell slot.
  • Gathering mana is a standard action. Rangers, Paladins and similar classes may gather 1d4 spell points per round. Bards may gather 1d4 spell points per round. Classes with a full 10 level progression may gather 1d6 spell points per round. Spontaneous casters gain a +1 bonus to the amount of mana they may absorb in a single round.
  • For every minute that a character holds a charge, they must make a concentration check DC 10 + number of spell points held. If they fail this check, they discharge 2d6 spell points, and take an equal amount of damage. (Effectively, a character may hold up to their concentration bonus +1 worth of mana without fear of losing it.)

Exceptions for Spell Points
  • 0-level spells cost one spell point to cast, but increase the flow of mana into the caster, allowing them to gain one extra spell point 1d4 rounds later.
  • Spells without a general duration under recharge magic rules deplete the ambient mana in an area when cast, and prevent a caster from charging any mana in that area for the duration listed.
Mialee, at level 20, has a concentration bonus of +27, and can cast up to 9th level spells. Sensing a disturbance in the force, she spends 5 rounds gathering mana, raising her total mana stored to 45 points. She then casts a couple of fireballs, bringing her down to 35 points. Seeing as she’s getting nowhere fast, Mialee casts Time Stop followed by Meteor Swarm and then Expeditious Retreat. Taking her last few apparent rounds, she runs at her maximum speed, and then backing away at her base speed, begins to charge her mana stores once again.

So, questions? Comments?

I'm thinking about feats and items that will allow a character to safely hold more mana, but I don't want to increase their inherent capacity too much.

Pyrex

First Post
The major flaw I see is that any spellcaster who is ambushed is *hosed*.

You need to let casters hold onto, say (0.5*CL)+StatMod mana without making Concentration checks. (i.e., a 2st level Wiz with 16 Int can hold 4 before making checks, a 20th level Wiz with a 30 Int can hold 20)

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
THIS is a system I found on these boards a couple months ago, forget who originally wrote it. The casting is using an Iron Heroes like token pool. I've rolled it for useful ideas, maybe you'll find something you like too.

Attachments

• Token Casting System.doc
    142 KB · Views: 105

The Lost Muse

First Post
Under the rules, as I've drafted them, a level 1 caster, regardless of stats, can hold at least 5 spell points plus their constitution modifier without having to make a concentration check (because if you can succeed no matter what, is there really a point in rolling), and a level 20 wizard with Con 13 and Skill Focus (Concentration) and maxed ranks in Concentration could hold up to 28 spell points without any risk of failing a concentration check.

That said, a feat that allowed spellcasters to swap (or possibly add) their spellcasting stat for their constitution in concentration wouldn't be a bad idea...

Pyrex

First Post
Oh, and statistically speaking, there are going to be a *lot* of 1st level wizards and sorcerers who accidently vent themselves into an early grave by blowing a concentration check at the wrong time.

Andre

First Post
Timmundo said:
For every minute that a character holds a charge, they must make a concentration check DC 10 + number of spell points held. If they fail this check, they discharge 2d6 spell points, and take an equal amount of damage. (Effectively, a character may hold up to their concentration bonus +1 worth of mana without fear of losing it.)

Ok, maybe I'm missing something here.

1st level sorcerer with max Concentration build
18 Con (+4)
4 ranks in Concentration (+4)
Skill Focus: Concentration feat (+3)

Has a total of +11 on Concentration checks, so minimum roll is 12.
DC to hold spell points is 10+points held

So if the sorcerer is holding 3 points, he'll miss one time in 20.

How does this work out to "(Effectively, a character may hold up to their concentration bonus +1 worth of mana without fear of losing it.)" ? That's only true if you eliminate the "10+" from the DC formula.

Pyrex

First Post
I assume that Timmundo is allowing his characters to Take 10 on these concentration checks.

Which still doesn't help a sleeping caster any.

The Lost Muse

First Post
Andre said:
Ok, maybe I'm missing something here.

That's only true if you eliminate the "10+" from the DC formula.

Sorry, I wrote it up early in the morning... you are correct; that said, my intention was for casters to be able to hold a reasonable amount of mana, but not a full charge at any given time, especially since spell points allow a character to nova if they so desire.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads