• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Recharging Dragon Breath via Lightning Strike

gabrion

First Post
This is a question for the rules savy folk here at ENworld. The scenario is as follows...

Level 1 Dragonborn Dragon Magic Sorcerer with Lightning resistance from his class feature, Ancient Soul, Lightning based Dragon Breath, Lightning Strike, and a 12 DEX.

When this character uses Lightning Strike can he chose to do the DEX mod extra lightning damage to himself? If so, does it bypass his resistance? If so, does it recharge his Dragon Breath?

(I would very much appreciate rules explanations, not just "yes, no, yes" opinions)

Virindi

First Post
I would think this falls under the meaningful (threat) target clause. Legitimate Targets DMG pg 40.

Last edited:

DracoSuave

First Post
Sorry but I'm a little out of the loop when it comes to the nuances of rules discussions. What exactly is the "meaningful targets" clause?

Often refered to as 'bag-o-rats' it's when a player attacks a non-meaningful target in order to get a secondary benefit instead. For example, attacking the ground to spend a healing surge if you have such a power.

The DM has every right in such a situation to go 'No, that doesn't work.' It's fully supported by the rules.

gabrion

First Post
Ok thanks for that reference, but lets assume for a moment that the DM does not invoke the "meaningful target" rule.

I'm still wondering if the text of the rules allow this combo to work.

Under Dragon Soul it says "Your arcane powers ignore any target's resistance to that damage type up to the value of your resistance."

In Lightning Strike's Target entry it says "one creature" and also says in the power "A creature of your choice other than the target and within 10 squares of the target takes lightning damage equal to your Dexterity modifier." Nowhere does the power refer to the creature who takes the extra Dex dmg as a "target."

However its hard to imagine that the phrase "any targets" is meant to exclude creatures that are targets by regular definition, but not specifically designated in a target line. I dunno...is there any wiggle room here?

keterys

First Post
The whole target to deny it resistance thing came up as a reason it shouldn't work in the errata thread for this ability, but regardless it's been put in as something that should be errata-ed to not work :)

Remove ads