• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Reckless Abandon on a multiclass Barbarian/Viking type Fighter

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
The wording on the Reckless Abandon seems unclear on how it scales with class levels, but it's reasonable to assume it applies to Barbarian levels.

The Viking archtype Fighter gains Rage at 4th level, raging as barbarian level-3. The Viking class can gain Rage Powers in place of Fighter feats.

My question(s):
-Do Rage powers that scale apply to non-barbarian classes that Rage and gain Rage Powers? Seems the obvious answer is yes but I don't want to assume without rules.
-Do the scaling Rage Powers stack with the Viking class apply at the 1st level of the Viking class, or at the 4th, when it gains access to Rage, or 6th level when it gains access to Rage Powers?

Ramaster

Adventurer
Uh... how weird, I thought that reckless abandon scaled with BAB, not "levels".

By RAW I'm not sure what does "level" refer to... does it mean exclusively your barbarian levels or your total character level? It's not quite clear.

On the Viking, it states that: "At 4th level, a Viking gains the rage ability as the barbarian class feature, but her barbarian level is considered to be her fighter level –3." There are no mentions of what happens if you take actual barbarian levels or levels on some other class with access to Rage.

So, you are considered to have a barbarian class level equal to your Viking levels -3. It doesn’t say to what they apply, but I think it’s safe to assume that it works for Rage powers, since they are closely related to the Rage feature. Apparently it's either A) You use your full character level to check for this bonus or B) You use your Viking level -3 plus whatever other levels on classes that have Rage (as it usually is with this kinds of things, like Animal Companions).

As an aside note, you get Barbarian rage at 4th level, but it replaces a class feature you get at 5th level. This all makes me think that this archetype wasn't all that well edited, although I must say that it is quite cool.

For your second question, I'll go with "They apply starting at 4th level, since barbarians also gain the Rage class feature BEFORE they get access to Rage Powers."

Last edited:

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Uh... how weird, I thought that reckless abandon scaled with BAB, not "levels".

By RAW I'm not sure what does "level" refer to... does it mean exclusively your barbarian levels or your total character level? It's not quite clear......
For your second question, I'll go with "They apply starting at 4th level, since barbarians also gain the Rage class feature BEFORE they get access to Rage Powers."
That's the conclusion I came to. The wording is unclear, but I'm figuring Viking is considered a Barbarian-3 + whatever levels I have in Barbarian for the purpose of Rage Powers. I was hoping for some errata to find that would clarify, but this works.

Remove ads