• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Recomend me some new books

phoenixgod2000

First Post
I would like to find some books that are similar to the Star Wars novels and the Deathstalker series by Simon Green. Good fun Space Opera or Space Fantasy.

In particular I am looking for books with some of the following qualities:

1. Advanced/Altered humans who have special powers/psyhic abilities or might be evolving past the limits of Traditional humanity

2. Mysterious or mystical groups/Organizations

3. A sense of broad history

4. Transhumanist leanings

I've been told that CS Friedman would has written a few books that I might enjoy.

The books can be either dense or light reading. The Deathstalker series isn't exactly complex and I love it.

any help that people can give would be much appreciated.

Jon

Pozatronic

First Post
The_Gut said:
The defining book with those qualities.

Dune.

For serious. I don't mean to be a book snob, but it's waaaaaaaay better than anything Simon Green can write. I don't know about the star wars novels, because I've only read one of them.

I hear Kevin J. Anderson has a series out that's very space opera, in a light sort of way. Track down some of his books....something about the Seventh Sun (I can't log onto Amazon right now to check, sorry)

The_Gut

First Post
Well..... it fits, but its a bit weird... okay, a lot weird.... but Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolf. Its part of a series. Its worth checking out.

Oh, and I like Simon Green too - though they are trashy summer time beach reading, mostly....

I was trying to find the names or author of this interesting series I started way back, but had no luck.

It involved multiple interstellar civilizations. It had tree's, and green priests who could communicate instantaneously, plus a gypsy like race who had their own hidden installations built. Humans accidently started a war with a race that lived in the depths of gas giants, who had far greater tech, by chunking some moons, or asteroids into them to trigger the birth of a star. It also had alien gates left behind by an older civilization. There were some seemingly benign alien robots left behind as well.

It wasn't a classic, but it wasn't bad.

Can't go wrong with 'In Conquest Born' or 'The Madness Season', or really any of C.S. Friedman's stuff.

Harking back, the Flinx and Pip novels hit every one of your criteria.

phoenixgod2000

First Post
Ironic that Dune was the very first recomendation because I forgot to mention in the OP that I hate, hate, hate Dune :) I never got past the first book in the series. OTOH, I was about 12 when I read the first book so I suppose my tastes could have evolved in the 17 years. Maybe I should give it another chance.

I have read Saga of the Seven Suns which was the other recomended series. Its alright, but it doesn't really fire up the imagination.

Any others?

Remove ads