Recommend A Good Sci-Fi novel to me.

paradox42

First Post
Interesting that nobody has yet recommended Stephen Baxter. Most of his work is standalone novels, though several of those fit into a sort of overarching universe/future history dubbed the 'Xeelee Sequence.' Much of his work is hard SF, but takes the weird ideas of modern physics and spins universe-spanning consequences from them- some of the ideas are quite mind-blowing and seem less "hard sci-fi" and more "transcendent fantasy" to me. Admittedly, most of his novels are fairly long (on the order of 600 pages or so). That said, I'll recommend "The Time Ships" (essentially a sequel to H.G. Wells's short story "The Time Machine") and then let the reader make up his/her own mind on the author.

He's even done a few collaborations recently with Arthur C. Clarke, which worked out quite well I thought. Two of them are a dualogy called the "Time Odyssey," but each novel is essentially standalone without much impact on the other. Those two are "Time's Eye" (the first one) and "Sunstorm" (the second). Before doing the dualogy, they wrote a nice short novel titled "The Light of Other Days" which is one of the most inspirational books I've read in years. All three of these books are near-future and could be termed hard SF, though they don't explore the underlying science as deeply as many entries in that category do.

And I have to second the recommendation for Douglas Adams- "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" is a phenomenally good and funny book, as are its sequels "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe," "Life, the Universe, and Everything," and "So Long and Thanks for All the Fish." There's also a fifth book in the series, "Mostly Harmless," but personally I found that one a bit nihilistic and depressing compared to the others in the series so I won't recommend it unless you're a completist. Any of the ones in the series can be read standalone, but the later ones do occasionally refer to plot events in earlier books, so there will be jokes you don't get if you haven't read them in sequence.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I've not read her Sci Fi, but several friends have:

CS Friedman wrote a great fantasy trilogy, and everyone that reads Sci Fi that I know recommends them to me.

Pozatronic

First Post
Wombat said:
Might I suggest one utterly out of left field? Richard Garfinkle wrote a book, Celestial Matters, now I believe sadly out of print but available in most used book stores. It is a "hard science" book, but the science in question is Aristotelean; it is sort of about war, but the war is between the Delian League (Greece & its allies) and the Middle Kingdom (China and its allies); it is sort of a space opera, in that the action takes place primarily on a large rock hurtling through the spheres of the planets trying to reach the sphere of the sun. It has some very strange and wonderful characters, too boot.

It is an odd duck of a book, but I enjoyed it thoroughly!

Oh my god. This is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. I just did a search for it on amazon, and it's pretty cheap too. I love this left of center stuff. Thank you so much for your recommendation!

Ulrik: Actually, I've read Chasm City. Couldn't stand it, although I did read and enjoy Reynolds first novel set in that...um...setting. Can't remember the name.....
But, Chasm City kind of ruined it for me. Actually, I sound kinda harsh on that. I couldn't have hated it that much; I read the entire thing in three days.

Skeener: I LOVE China Mieville. However, I lodge him into the Fantasy axis. If you like him, you should pick up A.J. Bishops "The Etched City". It's kind of a "western" set in a fantasy world, except it's not as lame as that sounds. I hope to see more of her work soon.

Everybody Else: Thank you SO MUCH for your recommendations. I really only thought I'd get a handful of responses from this. I think I'm going to go with Celestial Matters for the time being, but I hope that doesn't stop anybody else from laying down a few suggestions. I hope to have a few more reads until Warren Ellis's novel comes out in July.

reddist

First Post
Two relative newcomers to the sci-fi crowd:

Chris Moriarty, Spin State and Spin Control, and
John Scalzi, Old Man's War, Ghost Brigades, and The Last Colony.

I've thoroughly enjoyed both authors. Oh, and one last...

John Steakley, and his Armor book, which is much like his Vampires novel but set in space. Still... good book.

Ulrik

First Post
Pozatronic said:
Ulrik: Actually, I've read Chasm City. Couldn't stand it, although I did read and enjoy Reynolds first novel set in that...um...setting. Can't remember the name.....
But, Chasm City kind of ruined it for me. Actually, I sound kinda harsh on that. I couldn't have hated it that much; I read the entire thing in three days.

Weird. I thought his first novel in the Conjoiner universe (or whatever you want to call it) was OK, but nothing special, the second one was spectacular, and the third one just... well, I stopped about halfway through. And then I read Chasm City and became a fan again.

Greg Egan writes some really good, strange stories. Diaspora is about a virtual city stored in a computer buried in the earth. Most people have converted to virtual beings and live in these cities, but some remain in the flesh. A few are somewhere between, with their consciousness stored in robots. The story is about how the main character travels the universe and nearby dimensions.

Actually, I'd recommend starting with the short story collection Axiomatic. Idea SF overload!

And again, A Fire Upon the Deep is a must-read :)

Last edited:

DonTadow

First Post
I think you would enjoy Probability Moon, Probability Space and Probability Sun by my favorite author Nancy Kress. The triology of books takes place in the far of future where Man has migrated to outer space. However, upon leaving their solar system they have entered into a somewhat war with an unknown race. Through years of combat, the unknown race has made no attempt to communicate with the earthlings despite attacking their ships and outposts.

In the mean time, there is this artifact orbitting a planet which is of use to the earth people and, you suspect, will become interested to the other race. Then there's the planet aspect, where there is this race of people whom have something called "shared reality". It's very similiar to empathy whereas they all know and believe the same thing, no disention, no war.

i based the beginnings of my campaign around it.

paradox42

First Post
Pozatronic said:
The first book is Revelation Space- and from what I've seen the universe they're all set in has no name officially granted it by the author, but is usually referred to by fans as the "Revelation Space universe" or the "Inhibitor universe." Interestingly enough, Chasm City is the only one of those I haven't read myself; it and the short story collection (which name has temporarily escaped me) are peripheral to the "main" story arc that's laid out in Revelation Space > Redemption Ark > Absolution Gap.

And how could I forget Greg Egan! Diaspora is superlative, and the first chapter (following the genesis of one of those artificial mind-people living in the "Polis" from its birth as a series of random choices along a continuum of mind-variables, to its awakening to full sentience) is absolutely brilliant- probably the best AI-related fiction I've ever read. I even adopted the novel's use of the pronoun "ve" for gender-neutral beings in my D&D campaigns.

Egan's novel Schild's Ladder is pretty good too.

Wombat

First Post
Pozatronic said:
Oh my god. This is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. I just did a search for it on amazon, and it's pretty cheap too. I love this left of center stuff. Thank you so much for your recommendation!

Only too happy to be of service. :)

Lalato

Adventurer
Fast Learner said:
Completely awesome sci-fi: A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge. Hugo award winner for Best Novel in 1993, totally standalone, very cool.

If you dig it, you'd probably like the follow-up (but not a sequel, sort-of a prequel but mostly just the same universe), A Deepness in the Sky, which also won the Hugo for best novel, this time in 2000.

I very much liked the latter, but cannot stress enough how truly great the former is.

Seconded! Excellent book. I haven't read A Deepness in the Sky yet, but A Fire Upon the Deep is a great book.

--sam

Remove ads