• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Recommend a good Star Trek Novel series...

Ebon Shar

Explorer
I'm particularly interested in post TNG/Voyager series, but I'll take a great ST novel regardless of the era. There are so many, I can't wade through them all. If you've read a series or two and can give me a recommendation, I would greatly appreciate it.

By the way, I've heard both good and bad about the "Shatnerverse" and I'd love to hear some opinions of Shatner's work. Thanks.

Ghostwind

First Post
Shatner's first Return of Kirk trilogy was quite good. It would have made a good sequel to ST: Generations.

If you can find them, Final Frontier and Strangers from the Sky are excellent reads.

Korgoth

First Post
I can't suggest a series, but The Final Reflection by John M. Ford was excellent. Very philosophical. It doesn't have a whole lot to do with the main Trek characters... it's mostly about Klingon Sun Tzu stuff.

I can't suggest a series, but The Final Reflection by John M. Ford was excellent. Very philosophical. It doesn't have a whole lot to do with the main Trek characters... it's mostly about Klingon Sun Tzu stuff.
Yes, absolutely a great suggestion. I like his Klingons more than the TNG ones. (not that I hate TNG ones, but I think Fords Klingons have a lot going for them that makes the Klingon culture more believable.)

I read a few books from Diane Duane and enjoyed them all. But I don't know the book names.

I read Startrek novels almost a decade ago or so, and despite being more of a TNG fan, I found the TOS novels often to be better. But a lot of new books have been written since then, and I think those books suffered from the fact that TNG/DS9/VOY were new and people didn't really know the characters yet.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Alas, I had to get rid of a lot of my Trek books when I moved a few years ago, but at least I know the ones I still have are good. ;)

Mustrum mentioned Diane Duane. I agree, everything I read by her was good, but the only one I own right now is Spock's World, which is excellent. A much more sensible history of Vulcan than that put forward in Enterprise or the new movie.

I also remember the first three Shatner books being fun. Note that they were co-written (not precisely ghost-written, but their byline is awfully small) by Judith & Garfield Reeves-Stevens, who've also written some other good Trek books. I believe they wrote Federation, which is excellent IMO.

Greg Cox has written a trilogy about Khan, which I recommend also. I've only read the first two (an alt-history of the 1990s Eugenics Wars), but they're very good.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
I am currently reading and very much enjoying the Star Trek Titan series. This series is the post-Nemesis adventures of Cap'n Riker's ship. The premise is that his ship has the most multi-racial crew in Federation history with only a handful of humans on board. Troi and Tuvok are part of the crew. Thus far there have been six novels in the series. Riker and the Titan are featured in the Destiny trilogy (along with Captain Picard and Captain Ezri Dax).

Croesus

Adventurer
I'm particularly interested in post TNG/Voyager series, but I'll take a great ST novel regardless of the era. There are so many, I can't wade through them all. If you've read a series or two and can give me a recommendation, I would greatly appreciate it.

Dreadnought by Diane Duane. I enjoyed this one immensely. Duane introduces two new characters who are basically younger versions of Kirk and Spock and, IMO, more interesting. Battlestations was the sequel, but not as good as the first book.

Final Frontier by Diane Duane. About the Federation before TOS, it's well worth the time to read this one. I love the scene where Kirk's father meets (read the book to find out).

How much for just the planet by John M. Ford. A comedy with Klingons...what could be better?

The Kobayashi Maru by Julia Ecklar. How all the other characters fared during the no-win scenario. Sulu's reaction was unexpected. Checkov's story was, IMO, absurd.

Fallen Heroes by Dafydd ab Hugh. I love most of the DS9 books, but this one is definitely my favorite. Set early in the series, they fight to the death against invaders.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Dreadnought by Diane Duane. I enjoyed this one immensely. Duane introduces two new characters who are basically younger versions of Kirk and Spock and, IMO, more interesting. Battlestations was the sequel, but not as good as the first book.

Final Frontier by Diane Duane. About the Federation before TOS, it's well worth the time to read this one. I love the scene where Kirk's father meets (read the book to find out).

How much for just the planet by John M. Ford. A comedy with Klingons...what could be better?

The Kobayashi Maru by Julia Ecklar. How all the other characters fared during the no-win scenario. Sulu's reaction was unexpected. Checkov's story was, IMO, absurd.

Fallen Heroes by Dafydd ab Hugh. I love most of the DS9 books, but this one is definitely my favorite. Set early in the series, they fight to the death against invaders.
I second all of those nominations. Some others I really enjoyed are:

A Flag Full of Stars - First (and best) of the three 'Lost Years' novels set between the end of TOS and ST:The Motion Picture.

Ishmael - Spock finds himself sent back in time to a 19th century mining camp.

Best Destiny - Young Jim Kirk

Q in Law - TNG comedy novel by Peter David with Lwaxana Troi engaged to marry Q (I own a copy autographed by Peter David, Majel B. Rodenberry and John de Lance.)

A Stitch in Time - DS9 novel about Garak written by the actor who played him, Andrew Robinson.

Jasperak

Adventurer
Has anybody read the "My Brother's Keeper" trilogy that deals with a young Kirk and Gary Mitchell from "Where No Man Has Gone Before?"

Ebon Shar

Explorer
Thanks for all the great suggestions. I've read many of the books on your lists, but so long ago that I had no recollection of them.

I decided to pick up Shatner's first "Shatnerverse" novel and the TNG novel "A Time to Be Born" which is the first in a series details events between couple of the next gen movies. I hope I made the right decision. I'm very curious to see how Shatner does as I despised his Tek novels.

Thanks again for the fine suggestions.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads