• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Recommend a new game!

Modoc

First Post
Let me preface this post by stating if this turns into a system war was I will lock this thread. With that said.

I have been playing RPG games for over 20 years and in the past have been exposed to and played a variety of systems like:

1e
2e
King Arthur's Pendragon (Chaosium)
Nephilim (Chaosium)
Rifts
Witchcraft (Myridum press)
Earthdawn
Rolemaster (ICE)

As of late I have been running several D&D 3.5 games both FtF and PbP. I am wanting to try/play something different. The only real requirement is it needs to be readily available as a PbP game(s). My FtF players will NOT play anything but D&D.

I am thinking maybe something along the line of occult or even some type of WWII military type RPG. I am looking for something that is NOT high fantasy based.

All suggestions are welcomed!

Modoc

Technomancer

First Post
How about Witchcraft from Eden Studios? It is a Unisystem game, similar enough to D&D that players familiar with that should have little trouble, and its available as a free download. It's basically modern day occult.

greywulf

First Post
d20 Modern + d20 Past might be one route to go, perhaps. GURPS has some excellent WWII supplements available too. While d20M is more cinematic in feel, GURPS can add many layers of realism. It all depends on what you're after, I guess :)

Clueless

Webmonkey
What sort of thing are you after? Realistic WW2? Or something more like Indiana Jones vs. Nazis? Or something more like the background of the Hellboy setting?

IcyCool

First Post
The Alternity System is quite good, and the Dark Matter setting could be easily adapted to WWII. If you can find a copy of the Fallout Pen and Paper rules, that is also a decent system (and easy to adapt to WWII as well).

Edit - If you aren't looking for something crunchy, I'd point out that the Feng Shui: Hong Kong Action Movie rpg is quite good. I'm currently developing a Crimson Skies (1937 air pirates) one-shot using this system.

Mark Hope

Adventurer
Clueless said:
What sort of thing are you after? Realistic WW2? Or something more like Indiana Jones vs. Nazis? Or something more like the background of the Hellboy setting?
If you want the pulp-style WWII, I'd recommend Torg's Nile Empire setting. In fact, I'd recommend Torg no matter what you're after, but I am biased in that regard. White Wolf's Mage is also very cool (the old one, anyway - haven't played the new one). Kult is also great.

Remove ads