• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Recommend me a gaming desktop

evildmguy

Explorer
Greetings!

I am hoping for recommendations on a gaming PC. I used to go with Dells and I still like them but am curious if they are still competitive. So, I am looking here for help!

My budget is about $1500 for a gaming desktop. I am open to whatever runs games well, such as the new Arkham Asylum, Ghostbusters, Dragon Age: Origins as well as older games but I assume if it runs those that it will handle older games. (KotOR, Battlefield 2, Max Payne, NWN2, Titan Quest)

I was looking at a WidowPC WGMI-1P5540 as it has the higher end video card, and I like nVidia and intel but again, overall performance is the thing. I don't know anything about WidowPC and the reviews I have read seem to make it a crap shoot. Mostly good reviews but the occasional person who got bad service from them. (I used to have a Quantex back in the day and had no problems and had fine service. Years later, I find the quantexsux.com site for someone who had terrible enough service to make a web site about it.)

I also went to cypberpowerpc and seemed to get a pretty good configuration there, again compared to Dell, with slower memory. But, while I know the basics and can trouble shoot and change things, I don't know what mother boards go with what cards or if the system I picked there will be compatible.

So, again, that's why I am coming here. Anyone have suggestions for a good gaming system in the $1500 range? Any good or bad reviews about widowpc? Cyberpowerpc?

Thanks!

edg

evildmguy

Explorer
Hmm.

I went for background but was probably too verbose. Probably still am.

How about this?

Recommend me a gaming desktop.

Want to play: Dragon Age: Origins, Batman Arkham, Ghostbusters, older games.

Budget: $1500

Let me know if it's possible as well as recommendations.

Thanks!

edg

LightPhoenix

First Post
The Computers forum doesn't nearly run as quickly as General... patience is required. :p

From your first post, I'm assuming that you're averse to putting together your own computer. I typically do, and consequentially I can't offer too much advice on pre-built systems. $1500 should be able to get you a pretty nice system though.

For a gaming system, IMO you're going to want to look at three main things: the video card, the processor, and RAM. Your best bet for info will be Tom's Hardware - they're a great site for this sort of thing.

There's a really good overview of video cards on Tom's Hardware. The top of the chart is the best performers. Personally I prefer the Radeons, but I don't think it matters too much.

I don't know what processors come on pre-built systems, but I'd recommend at the very least a multi-core system. Tom's has this article on processors. You may also want to consider a 64-bit solution, since it can take advantage of more RAM.

As far as RAM goes, for a gaming rig I'd recommend 4GB. Look for DDR3... iit may be standard on a pre-built system. A higher number is generally faster.

Secondary thoughts include the HD (look for faster access speeds) and the monitor (I'd really recommend a 19" at minimum).

Also, consider looking at Newegg. It looks like they have some pretty decent deals on pre-built systems, though I haven't had a chance to look through them. You can sort them by rating and price, making it easy to comparison shop. Newegg is also well respected and they're very nice if you have any problems. I had a video card stolen off my doorstep (boo FedEx), and they flat out shipped another one that day, no hassle.

John Crichton

First Post
For the non-build it yourself side of the fence, I'd have no problem going with another Dell, preferably the XPS line for gaming. They typically run some really nice deals and if you want to spend a little more money take advantage of their 0-interest for 12 months type of financing deals.

Are you also looking for a new monitor?

evildmguy

Explorer
Thanks for the replies!

It wasn't impatience per se. It was more that I thought I had said too much and wanted to reduce it to the bare bones.

It's my understanding that in the States, it's cheaper to get a full system than to try and put one together. I could be wrong on that in that maybe it's only the latest and greatest tech that makes that so expensive to put one together. However, even if that's not the case, while I would be fine running XP still, I have heard good things about Windows 7 but it's also expensive. (Not going to run Vista on my gaming machine.)

In any case, I am not up on hardware and wonder what the effort would be to understand it all so that what I buy works with everything else. If I got a list of components, I could do it. Just not sure if I want to take the time to figure out the list myself.

I will have to look at the Dell XPS system. I went to Alienware because I didn't see a Dell Gaming system. I figured they were only doing Alienware gaming systems now.

Thanks for the replies!

edg

Thanee

First Post
Right now you probably want one of those fancy new Radeon cards (i.e. HD5870), an Intel Core i5 or i7 CPU, plus at least 4 GB RAM in exactly two matching modules (i.e. 2x 2 GB DDR3-1600), and a good motherboard that supports all those. Also the usual stuff, case, GOOD PSU, CD/DVD(/Bluray)-RW.

Bye
Thanee

evildmguy

Explorer
How bad is it to have "older" stuff?

I did find a Alienware Aurora base system for my price. Has quad core, 6G RAM and a nVidia 260. I know the 260 is the lowest of the high end. Is that all I really need, given that my own system is a pIV 3.4, with a 8500 card?

Thanks!

edg

Rackhir

Explorer
How bad is it to have "older" stuff?

I did find a Alienware Aurora base system for my price. Has quad core, 6G RAM and a nVidia 260. I know the 260 is the lowest of the high end. Is that all I really need, given that my own system is a pIV 3.4, with a 8500 card?

Thanks!

edg

The core i7 (socket 1366) and the newer core i5/i7 (socket 1156) are so much superior to the core 2s, that it doesn't make sense to go with something lesser in a reasonably expensive gaming machine. They finally replace the biggest bottleneck on the intel systems, the front side bus, with what is essentially a knock off of AMDs Hypertransport.

I would skimp on the graphics card or other features if necessary to get one. The main difference between the socket 1366 and 1156, is that the 1366 supports triple channel memory (vs dual) and generally more PCIe lanes. However, there is minimal advantage to triple channel ram and unless you want to go with 2-3 graphics cards (largely pointless if you don't have a 30"+ monitor), a single decent card is sufficent. The 1156 socket systems are a decent chunk less than the 1366.

The 260 is a perfectly decent card and sufficient for running most things on a non-30" monitor. Nvidia is coming out with new cards sometime next quarter and the recent AMD video cards are a substantial leg up over the current gen nvida's though.

6gb of ram should be plenty. If you don't go with a 64 bit windows, there is no point in more than 4 gb ram. There doesn't seem to be a good reason not to go with a 64 bit version of windows 7 though.

Don't spend extra money for "fast" or low latency ram though. They simply don't offer a significant boost for the money.

LightPhoenix

First Post
I will have to look at the Dell XPS system. I went to Alienware because I didn't see a Dell Gaming system. I figured they were only doing Alienware gaming systems now.

I would not recommend Alienware. While they used to be really good, over the last few years they've become overpriced. The price you pay for the system altogether is a lot more than the cost of the individual parts. While they do make some nice cases, I don't think it's worth the hefty price tag. In my opinion, you're better off finding a comparable system from another vendor.

Remove ads