• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Recommend me books like SoIaF

sunbeam60

First Post
Hi guys,

I've read, then re-read, now re-listening to the Song of Ice and Fire. I have about a 40 minute commute, so I'm taking the chance to listen to SoIaF in audio book format.

However, I need something to read before I fall asleep. I find the fantasy book market so hard to navigate, and the concept of endless series too daunting.

I'm on the lookout for adult fantasy (snickers) like SoIaF. Low magic, gritty and well-written. While many people find the Wheel of Time series inspiring, I do not. Not a China Mieville fan, nor Harry Potter. I mention this not to start any discussion - taste varies - but rather to give a clue about what I don't like.

If you have good recommendations, I would love to hear them. Something limited in scope (ideally below 4 books), bloody and written for adults.

Any takers?

Vonlok The Bold

First Post
I think SoIaF are one of a kind. But I haven't known anyone who loved those books, and didn't also enjoy Robin Hobb's Assassin's apprentice series. I am sure there are plenty out there, but in my very limited experience that is what I have found.

I didn't enjoy Robin Hobb's ship series so much, but I loved the Assassin series, and the Fool series.

You may already have read them, but it is what I have to offer off the top of my head.

ShrinkyLink

First Post
Steven Erikson's Gardens of the Moon might be interesting to you, but it does go a bit beyond your four book limit. There is also almost any Warhammer novel, which have an unexpected quality and gore level not usually to be found with media spinoffs.

replicant2

First Post
Gates of Fire

No, it's not fantasy, it's historic fiction. But my whole-hearted, enthusiastic recommendation is Steven Pressfield's Gates of Fire.

I love A Song of Ice and Fire; so far it's my favorite fantasy series next to Tolkien. But I also wouldn't hesitate to say that Gates of Fire, as a standalone book, is better.

It's the story of the 300 Spartans and a handful of allies that held their ground in a narrow pass between the mountains and sea at Thermopylae, sacrificing their lives to stall the two million man army of Persia.

If it's combat you want, this has it in spades. Bloody, brutally realistic, shoulder-shoulder shield wall fighting. Pressfield writes so well you feel the fear and the shock of clashing troops.

And there's so much more -- a terrific look at life in bronze-age Greece, awesome characters, genuine emotion, an appreciation for the life and unparalleled military training of the Spartan culture, the greatest warriors of their age (and arguably any age).

Pants

First Post
ShrinkyLink said:
Steven Erikson's Gardens of the Moon might be interesting to you, but it does go a bit beyond your four book limit.
Errrr....

sunbeam60 said:
I'm on the lookout for adult fantasy (snickers) like SoIaF. Low magic, gritty and well-written.
Erikson is pretty high magic and he's shooting for a 10 book series at the moment. While I think he's great, his Malazan series nothing like aSoIaF.

Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy is relatively low-magic and contains some of the best characterization I've ever read in fantasy. The first book is Assassin's Apprentice. It's great.

R. Scott Bakker definitely writes 'adult' fantasy. His series, the Prince of Nothing starts out with The Darkness that Comes Before. It's about a Holy War and the various mortal and supernatural forces that attempt to control it for their gain. It's higher magic than Martin, but the magic has been mysterious enough that it feels the same. Only two books are out and he's aiming at a trilogy, followed by a duology (sp?) set 20 years later.

Bakker is VERY similar to Martin in his characterizations. He uses a lot of unlikable people doing unlikable and horrid things. The political machinations are pretty similar.

Great series so far (even though I've only read the firsy book).

Banshee16

First Post
Pants said:
Errrr....

Erikson is pretty high magic and he's shooting for a 10 book series at the moment. While I think he's great, his Malazan series nothing like aSoIaF.

Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy is relatively low-magic and contains some of the best characterization I've ever read in fantasy. The first book is Assassin's Apprentice. It's great.

R. Scott Bakker definitely writes 'adult' fantasy. His series, the Prince of Nothing starts out with The Darkness that Comes Before. It's about a Holy War and the various mortal and supernatural forces that attempt to control it for their gain. It's higher magic than Martin, but the magic has been mysterious enough that it feels the same. Only two books are out and he's aiming at a trilogy, followed by a duology (sp?) set 20 years later.

Bakker is VERY similar to Martin in his characterizations. He uses a lot of unlikable people doing unlikable and horrid things. The political machinations are pretty similar.

Great series so far (even though I've only read the firsy book).

How is the Prince of Nothing? I've seen it in the stores, but didn't pick it up. Same with The Darkness that Comes Before.

Banshee

sunbeam60

First Post
Guys, you're great. Thanks for the recommendations!

----
Your Order With Amazon:
Dispatch estimate for these items: 18 Jun 2005
Delivery estimate: 20 Jun 2005 - 21 Jun 2005 1 "Assassin's Apprentice (Farseer S.)"
Robin Hobb; Paperback; £5.59

1 "The Darkness That Comes Before (Prince of Nothing S.)"
R.Scott Bakker; Paperback; £6.39

Dispatch estimate for these items: 19 Jun 2005
Delivery estimate: 20 Jun 2005 - 21 Jun 2005 1 "Gates of Fire: An Epic Novel of the Battle of Thermopylae"
Steven Pressfield; Paperback; £5.59

Berandor

lunatic
Just a warning: Do not, I repeat, do not read the third book in the Farseer series. It's godawful, and I repeatedly had to fight the urge to burn it, tear it apart, or simply throw it away. I only restrained myself because I had it from the library.

JoeBlank

Explorer
replicant2 said:
No, it's not fantasy, it's historic fiction. But my whole-hearted, enthusiastic recommendation is Steven Pressfield's Gates of Fire.

I love A Song of Ice and Fire; so far it's my favorite fantasy series next to Tolkien. But I also wouldn't hesitate to say that Gates of Fire, as a standalone book, is better.

It's the story of the 300 Spartans and a handful of allies that held their ground in a narrow pass between the mountains and sea at Thermopylae, sacrificing their lives to stall the two million man army of Persia.

If it's combat you want, this has it in spades. Bloody, brutally realistic, shoulder-shoulder shield wall fighting. Pressfield writes so well you feel the fear and the shock of clashing troops.

And there's so much more -- a terrific look at life in bronze-age Greece, awesome characters, genuine emotion, an appreciation for the life and unparalleled military training of the Spartan culture, the greatest warriors of their age (and arguably any age).

Wonderful suggestion. It did not come to mind for me right away, but I'm glad you thought of it.

Have you read Pressfield's other historical fiction? What did you think?

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Berandor said:
Just a warning: Do not, I repeat, do not read the third book in the Farseer series. It's godawful, and I repeatedly had to fight the urge to burn it, tear it apart, or simply throw it away. I only restrained myself because I had it from the library.

Wow, what made you feel that strongly about it? I didn't think it was too bad, probably the weakest of the six books with Fitz Farseer, but not qualifying as godawful.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads