Recommend me some games for the Xbox 360...

Protagonist

First Post
Games for seven year old girls hmmmm......

I think the easier Dancing Games (I think there are some by Disney and even DDR might be ok on lower difficulties) might be worth mentioning and GH:WT now has what basically is a "kids" mode where you just need to press any button with the right timing.

Mallus

Legend
I've got a question for 360 owners (seeing as I swapped consoles with a friend of mine this weekend, my PS3 for his Elite)... what can you do about the awful racket they make?

The thing sounds like a cheap paper shredder. I thought all those complaints about the 360 being noisy were, well, exaggerations. They aren't. I had to crank the volume just so I could hear Cortana's voice-over at the start of Halo 3.

Mark Hope

Adventurer
Wear earmuffs so you can't hear it?

:D

Yeah, I was surprised by the amount of noise it makes, but I haven't found that it drowns out speech thus far (in my huge library of three - count them - three games, lol...) In-game music being louder than speech has been more of an issue, to be honest. It seems to me to be a bit louder than the fans on my old Pentium III, but not too much worse than that. But I have read plenty of reports about the noise, so maybe it varies slightly from console to console?

That said, I do have it hooked up to a nice 5.1 surround system which is usually set to a solid volume, so that likely offsets any noise the console itself makes. Playing with headphones is another (suboptimal, imho) solution.

Vocenoctum

First Post
I've got a question for 360 owners (seeing as I swapped consoles with a friend of mine this weekend, my PS3 for his Elite)... what can you do about the awful racket they make?

The thing sounds like a cheap paper shredder. I thought all those complaints about the 360 being noisy were, well, exaggerations. They aren't. I had to crank the volume just so I could hear Cortana's voice-over at the start of Halo 3.

You just need to suplerglue the dvd tray so nothing moves....

(no, not really)

I've never been bothered by the noise, but then I usually have a fan going and such. Sorry, no help from me.

My opinions seem to vary a bit from the ENWorld masses, it appears. The Halo series is a must have, with 1 and 3 both being significantly better than 2. Bioshock is good, but not particularly difficult. I enjoyed Lost Planet quite a bit, but I'll admit it isn't that great until you get access to mechs. I simply cannot get into Mass Effect (yet). Also, I would recommend having at least one good party game around. For 360, my recomendations would be Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe, which has turned out to be a surprisingly good return to the roots of the MK dynasty.

For younger kids, there's a version of Katamari out for 360 that's very kid friendly. It's even much easier than the original Katamari.

Dragonwriter

First Post
I can really only second a bunch of what's been said...

Shooters: BioShock is fantastic. Incredible story, good control scheme, excellent balance and it has one of the best atmospheres ever created in a video game. Halo 3 was good, but I like 1 the best...

RPGs: Mass Effect is great. BioWare always put out the best in RPG and story. Fable 2 was also lots of fun with plenty of wacky humor (then again, I loved #1. I'm a Lionhead fan ;)). Oblivion is fun, but can get real old, real fast (especially with a set of clothes that gives you constant 100% Chameleon ;)).

Horror: BioShock certainly falls into this category also, and with some freaky stuff to back it up. Your first 10 minutes in the hellhole that is Rapture will prove it. Dead Space is also supposed to be really good ( I haven't played it yet).

I'm not sure what category Assassin's Creed would fall under... It's a good game, though rather repetitive (and the ending is junk). But, there is something to be said for a game that lets you walk up to a city guard, stab them in broad daylight, and walk away with no one the wiser. And the rooftop chases can be lots of fun.

If you have a good enough PC, Spore is fun for anyone, though it can be a bit annoying, especially when you make other races mad in Space Age. NWN2 is a good PC RPG if you don't mind dealing with a number of bugs...

For XBox, KOTOR 1 & 2 are great RPGs, along with Jade Empire. I liked KOTOR 1's story better than 2 (But it seems to me that Obsidian just can't end a game...). Armed and Dangerous is a great game, not for its gameplay but for its script - Funniest game I've ever played. Psychonauts also was a big hit (received wonderfully, but poor sales; I haven't played it yet).

John Crichton

First Post

The only real fix I've found is to install the game to the hard drive and play it from there. Much better since the DVD no longer spins and that's where the really bad noise comes from.

John Crichton

First Post
Role-Playing Games: I said it already - imho, Planescape: Torment rocked my world. I also loved Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I'm looking with eager eyes at Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Is it cool? Are there any other great rpgs on the 360?
If you dig j-RPGs, Tales of Vesperia is very fun so far.

Mallus

Legend
The only real fix I've found is to install the game to the hard drive and play it from there. Much better since the DVD no longer spins and that's where the really bad noise comes from.
Thanks. I installed Halo to the hard drive last night and then promptly got sucked into playing Rez HD --why won't Sega release that on the PSN!!!???!!

One more quick question. I have a set of original Xbox component cables. Can I use those with the 360? Right now I'm using the HDMI cable my friend lent me, and low and behold, I can't connect the 360 to my stereo via toslink, because the toslink port isn't on the 360 itself, it's on the component cables...

Remove ads