• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Recommendations for SW Minis

maggot

First Post
My gaming group is thinking of giving Star Wars Saga Edition a try, but I don't have any SW minis. We like gaming with miniatures even if they aren't 100% accurate. Actually, anything that is vaguely close usually works, so some of our D&D minis would work. But we'd like some Jedi or Sith looking dudes, as well as some simple minis of the various races.

And we are looking for them cheap (because who knows how long the game will last). So basically we are looking for commons. But there are so many SW sets, where do we start?

Any help out there?

Wraith Form

Explorer
Well, right off the bat, if you're even remotely thinking of using the "classic" SW era (the original trilogy, Episodes 4 - 6) then I'd look at the Alliance and Empire booster set(s).

Really, any of the era packs are cool, though.

Ebay also offers "commons" collections (or "lots" as they call them) for cheap. Not a bad idea if you want to get a small army of Stormtroopers or whatnot.

Also, since the minis game is not compatible with the Saga RPG rules, I'd avoid getting the "starter sets" as you'll be paying a large chunk of $$ for rules you don't necessarily want or need.

Oh, and Starship Battles (again, not compatible with the Saga edition rules) is, actually, pretty cool too. In that instance, you might want to get the starter box as well as a booster or two.

Inferno!

Explorer
Maggot,

If you're looking for starship minis, try Wizkids pocket models. They're much more economical and you'll get a more useful assortment of ships. I've bought about a dozen Wotc starship mini boosters and have one TIE fighter and one TIE Interceptor to show for my trouble. But hey I also got a ton of crap I don't want or need. :\

In about twenty pocket model packs, I've got full squadrons of TIE Interceptors, y-wings and at least half a dozen of every other movie fighter :D

Bagpuss

Legend
Yeah Pocket Models is the way to go for ships.

Since most Jedi are Uncommon or Rare they tend to be over valued in the secondary market, so you, if you are looking for Jedi the "Champions of the Force" set probably has the best range 25 lightsaber characters in the 60 figure set (7 Uncommon the rest Rare or Very Rare). You should be able to pick up some of those uncommons at a reasonable price as that set isnot too old. There was a common Jedi in the Universe Set but that was an older set with Huge figures so it might actually be harder to find than some of the uncommons from Champions of the Force. There were 19 lightsaber users in Clone Strike, but most were rare or very rare and it's an old set so probably not much use.

pawsplay

Hero
If you want commons, I'd start by buying boosters. Then you can acquire singles later of anything you like. But at least for the first twenty to thirty miniatures, it's cheaper to buy boosters and risk some duplicates... and if you have no compunctions about selling Boba Fetts, you might even make your money back.

Remove ads