• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Recommended 3e Modules?

Meek

First Post
I've been trying to find modules to read (not really to play or GM) for ideas, as I've had some success before with 3e/3.5 modules (I find it hard to read the old gygaxian AD&D modules, as I'm too used to a more modern layout). I'm looking for modules which either have big and complex dungeons, or which make a point of not having a dungeon at all and being more about urban interaction or forest exploration or other non-dungeon stuff. I can't really get ahold of Dungeon magazine modules, but if there's any really good ones you think stand out in Dungeon magazine, you can list them (and tell me what issue number if at all possible).

I've read all the pathfinder adventure path modules, as well as Red Hand of Doom, Scourge of the Howling Horde, The Sunless Citadel, The Shattered Gates of Slaughtervade and Lord of the Iron Fortress. So you can skip recommending those if you were going to :p

irdeggman

First Post
Any of the Dungeon Magazine ones.

The adventure paths:

Shackled City (available or was in a book form)

Age of Worms

Savage Tide

Baveboi

First Post
Models? If you want a good reading go for the novels.
Greyhawk, Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms and Ravenloft have thousands of them. I prefer FR but that's my taste. They really put Magic into it, in a good way.

Some people you should search for is Ed Greenwood, Elaine Cunningham and R.a.Salvatore. They write good stuff.
Believe me, after you start it you can't stop and it helps work around D&D better than any module out there.

Meek

First Post
Models? If you want a good reading go for the novels.

I don't really care for the novels because I don't have any trouble coming up with stories. What I want are ideas for dungeons, urban settings, creepy forests, with layouts and such that can be adapted to play. I play generic systems like GURPS (and am working on my own homebrew fantasy RPG, which is part of why I ask), but I like using D&D modules for the maps, the locations, the creatures and the traps. That's what I mean by inspiration. I have literally more story ideas than I will ever know what to do with, but I can always use a cool location.

Empirate

First Post
If that's so, you'd probably not mind reading setting-specific modules, right?

City of the Spider Queen is one big, long dungeon crawl, quite hard for the level (10+), and full of all kinds of monsters, with an obvious staple enemy being drow, undead drow, and spider-themed stuff. This one sucks as a playable module, but will probably have what you need. Cool locations, too, pity they made so little of them.

Mysteries of the Moonsea I haven't seen personally, but it seems to be in the same category: sucky play, but masses of battle locations and dungeons.

See if it does anything for you, hope it does!

aboyd

Explorer
The Lost City of Barakus
YES. I loved the underground connections between areas in that module. In fact, I just generally loved the Necromancer modules. I had a great time reading The Grey Citadel (but haven't got to play it yet), and I ran the first half of Trouble at Durbenford, and had a blast. At first I felt I couldn't run these longer modules, because there was too much to keep in my head (I'm used to running mini-modules that can be completed in a single 5-hour game session). However, I found these Necromancer modules had some really amusing characters, and cool sub-plots and interactions. I got sooo into it, and found that I pretty much could do it with just a little extra effort.

I wish I could have continued Durbenford. But, going through a divorce kinda drained me for a while. :(

Nonetheless, I'd encourage anyone who can to buy those modules. Very fun. If you can't find them in print at amazon.com, I believe that rpgnow.com still has them for sale in PDF format.

Croesus

Adventurer
The Necromancer Games modules tend to be a combination of mini-setting + adventure, usually mixing dungeons and wilderness.

Vault of Larin Karr
Tomb of Abysthor
Grey Citadel

They have several other good ones that I haven't read. Check out their site:

Necromancer Games: Products

lordxaviar

Explorer
(I find it hard to read the old gygaxian AD&D modules, as I'm too used to a more modern layout). :p

not sure I understand this, I love the old modules, but thats a Personal Op.
But they still have usable aspects, you just have to do a little work, even the G series.... the A series should give you all sorts of direction as well, of course you might want to look at the conversions of these and even then they need some work, things left out, skipped over etc... there was a long campaign set inside of a dormant volcano.... Cauldron.. that was in dragon... lots of fun.. covers the whole life of characters (if you use age..)..

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads