• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Recommended City Modules/Settings

Rl'Halsinor

Explorer
With the myriad of products out there I was wondering what are the best, in your opinion and why, city modules/settings avaliable for D&D 3/3.5? It matters not to me if they are bound manuals or PDF, just as long as the maps are good to great and the city setting is not haphazard in layout. Thanks.

Treebore

First Post
the best would be the old 2e Waterdeep City of Splendors boxed set, then 1e's Lahnkmar, then my current favorite 3e city is Lost City of Barakus, but its maps are not great, followed by the Grey Citadel, then Freeport. I think when Necromancer finally releases City State of The Invincible Overlord it will be my new favorite city since I still like the 1e version of it, a lot.

scourger

Explorer
Cauldron, the Shackled City Adventure Path from Dungeon Magazine, is the best I've seen. It has been fleshed out in several issues (7 or 8), which you'll have to get as back issues. There are 3 more yet to be printed. But the good thing is that the city is fleshed out slowly with new information in each new adventure. Plus, the first one had a poster map.

Otherwise, I like the 2e (AD&D) supplemt Greyhawk the Adventure Begins for the City & Domain of Greyhawk. It is very portable to the current core game.

Patman21967

First Post
I'll show my age, but there were 2 old ones that I have...one is Carse...the other is called Baldemar

But my all time favorite is from Warhammer.....Middenheim

Teflon Billy

Explorer
For D20, I have to agree with Nightfall: Freeport and Bluffside.

I'll always have a place in my heart for Warhammer FRP's Middenheim mind you.

Restenford from the 1E Module Secret of Bone Hill gave us literally years of use (and I think it's available for free as a download here on EN World somewhere) .

Last edited:

Greyson

Explorer
My Three

Cauldron from Dungeon magazine (issues 97, 98, 102, 104, 107, 109 & 111): It is a v.3.5 city for the contemporary D&D player and DM. It is very well developed, IMO. It has maps, a social structure, dungeons and compelling good guys and bad guys. Many of the city's key places and services are present with unique NPCs.

Hardby from Dungeon #109: It is v.3.5 like Cauldron. And, it is specifically set in D&D's default setting - the World of Greyhawk. I think Looby did a great job of bringing together the city's history and contemporary issues - complete with great NPCs and their affiliations and motives. Unlike Cauldron, Hardby is ready for any adventure. The bad guys are not so prominent, so the motivated GM can develop his or her direction for PCs in and around Hardby.

The Free City of Greyhawk: Well, this is the City of Greyhawk! It is enormous and very, very complex. It is also the cornerstone of the D&D default setting - the World of Greyhawk. I still use the 1989 boxed set, Greyhawk: Gem of the Flanaess, which includes adventure cards and two sourcebooks. I have also combined elements from the Living Greyhawk campaign, especially the nice, new map from LGJ#2. Many Core LG adventures have also developed and added to the Free City. AS noted above, you also have Anne Brown's Player's Guide to Greyhawk and Roger Moore's Greyhawk: The adventure Begins. The latter is still my favorite CoG product. The CoG has unlimited intrigue and adventure oppurtunites. It has so many "quarters," the PCs can find trouble in many different guises. So there are many resources for this bustling metropolis. I think the CoG is a DM's best friend for big-city adventure.

Last edited:

Remove ads