Recontriving The Ring

Honestly, sometimes my game design looks like it's not really design at all. It's more a remix of classic ingredients; an RPG compilation album of greatest hits. On a mechanical level, you can see the lineage though on a surface level, you might need to squint a bit. For me, game mechanics are defined just as much by the terms and phrases you associate with them as the ways they interpret dice. It's similar with setting. Some fantasy worlds haven't even tried to hide the marks from when they filed the serial numbers off. Others are deliberately innovative, occasionally for it's own sake. Reinterpreting, re-codifying and even revivifying are all well used tools in the designer's box of tricks.

Honestly, sometimes my game design looks like it's not really design at all. It's more a remix of classic ingredients; an RPG compilation album of greatest hits. On a mechanical level, you can see the lineage though on a surface level, you might need to squint a bit. For me, game mechanics are defined just as much by the terms and phrases you associate with them as the ways they interpret dice. It's similar with setting. Some fantasy worlds haven't even tried to hide the marks from when they filed the serial numbers off. Others are deliberately innovative, occasionally for it's own sake. Reinterpreting, re-codifying and even revivifying are all well used tools in the designer's box of tricks.

What's in a name? Take Dungeon Master. No please, take it, I don't want it anymore! It's been a term that's wyrmed it's way into pop culture, and it's brought some baggage with it. Not all games feature Dungeons, and the word Master comes with unwanted connotations. Early RPGs quickly dumped it as the default term (TSRs approach to litigation helped). Nowadays if there is a household name for the person that runs the game it's Gamemaster, or GM for short.

Other games have spun off into even stranger realms of nomenclature. Call of Cthulhu has the Keeper of Arcane Lore. Nobilis? The Hollyhock God. Others are more prosaic, like Traveller, with its Referee, or World of Darkness with the Storyteller. The term tells us something about the expectations. The MC in Apocalypse World implies a very different style to that of the Game Control from Spycraft. It's a similar tale with almost other every piece of game jargon, whether rules or colour. As a Brit, my Armour Class always came with a U, and my Defence with a C. These things matter, because they're literally the language of the game.

My game changes an awful lot of common terminology. It's far from being the first to do so, won't be the last. My term for GM is the 'King of Dungeons'. It's a mouthful, not particularly intuitive, and it even runs the risk of being divisive. I'm going with it anyway because it puts my stamp on the game. Some changes are minimal, with warriors instead of fighters, and priests over clerics. Nothing world shattering, but why shouldn't I indulge myself? Other changes are just to be efficient. I find the word 'foe' to be easy to type, easy to understand, and more effective in the text than 'target' or 'enemy combatant'. Some words I just like to reconfigure because it helps define my world. I have 'guilds' who undertake 'charters', whereas other games would have 'parties' in 'scenarios'. My spells are arranged by 'circle', and 'race' long ago became 'culture'.

In the film Arrival, we encounter the Sapir-Whorf theory which states that language doesn't just give people a way to express their thoughts; it influences or even determines them. I want to see if that happens in my game.

Check out Baz's previous columns about game design: Everyone Else Is Doing It and Hack or Heartbreaker.

aramis erak

Legend
Which words are the right ones?
Frankly, I have serious doubts about your example of a group of players refusing to explain things. I have never read an rpg rule set with the attitude you are espousing. Can you give an example of a game that does this?
Let's take an example word: D&D uses Dungeon Master
There are three widely accepted, and several less widely but still well known, terms for Gamemaster,

Widely Accepted:
Dungeon Master - D&D almost exclusively in text - but that's still at least 75% (if not more) of the overall RPG sales. Used to be well over 90%
Game Master - the most widely (in terms of publications) used term. Less specific than D&D's DM. And doesn't conflict with the old wargaming standard meaning of "DM" = "die-modifier"...
Narrator - the similarity of role and title is a good fit, especially on the story-game side of the house.

Less widely used, (and why I think they're bad)
Referee – Used mostly for Traveller and wargames (implies PVP)
Storyteller - Used by WWG and several other games (Implies players don't help tell the story - a weak issue, but a complaint I've had for years)
Storyguide - a fairly accurate term, used mostly by storygames (I actually like this one, but it's definitely not what the average D&D GM does)
___-Master - Common in D&D derived games, usually ones that aren't that good. (Gygaxism... Lejend Master, anyone?)
Director - Used in several games with a cinematic feel. (Overstates the power of the so-called director in-game compared to the term as used is the various visual media industries. Especially since it's usually used in Weak-GM games)
Rules-Master - Used in a few indie games... mostly fairly traditional ones. (Implied need of rules mastery before running the game. Discouraging to new GM's.)

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
What's in a name? Take Dungeon Master. No please, take it, I don't want it anymore! It's been a term that's wyrmed it's way into pop culture, and it's brought some baggage with it. Not all games feature Dungeons, and the word Master comes with unwanted connotations. Early RPGs quickly dumped it as the default term (TSRs approach to litigation helped). Nowadays if there is a household name for the person that runs the game it's Gamemaster, or GM for short.

I will take it!

I use the term DM for every game that has someone in the DM role. I dont mind if they like to use the term King of the Dungeons or some such it is still DMing to me.

Arilyn

Hero
Let's take an example word: D&D uses Dungeon Master
There are three widely accepted, and several less widely but still well known, terms for Gamemaster,

Widely Accepted:
Dungeon Master - D&D almost exclusively in text - but that's still at least 75% (if not more) of the overall RPG sales. Used to be well over 90%
Game Master - the most widely (in terms of publications) used term. Less specific than D&D's DM. And doesn't conflict with the old wargaming standard meaning of "DM" = "die-modifier"...
Narrator - the similarity of role and title is a good fit, especially on the story-game side of the house.

Less widely used, (and why I think they're bad)
Referee – Used mostly for Traveller and wargames (implies PVP)
Storyteller - Used by WWG and several other games (Implies players don't help tell the story - a weak issue, but a complaint I've had for years)
Storyguide - a fairly accurate term, used mostly by storygames (I actually like this one, but it's definitely not what the average D&D GM does)
___-Master - Common in D&D derived games, usually ones that aren't that good. (Gygaxism... Lejend Master, anyone?)
Director - Used in several games with a cinematic feel. (Overstates the power of the so-called director in-game compared to the term as used is the various visual media industries. Especially since it's usually used in Weak-GM games)
Rules-Master - Used in a few indie games... mostly fairly traditional ones. (Implied need of rules mastery before running the game. Discouraging to new GM's.)

Widely accepted, because they have been around for a while and are generic. At one point Game Master and Narrator were new. I don't like Rules Master either, but don't think it would actually scare anyone off.
My main point is there are lots of terms. You gave a good list. Choose what you like, make a new one. It doesn't matter. I have never seen anyone confused because a western game chooses to go with Marshal, or a spy game with Handler. It adds flavour to the text. If most people default to DM or Storyteller, it doesn't invalidate the designer's choice.

Lylandra

Adventurer
Have you read the paragraph you quoted from?

It may be the only line explicitly talking about the horn, but the fact that we're talking about a unicorn and specifically her horn is not at all made unclear by literally the line right before it.

umm... I wasn't trying to say that this sentence is telling us about the fact we're discussing a unicorn. I wanted to say that this prose sentence is much better at explaining her horn and its capabilities than the following "objective description":

A unicorn can use her horn as a lethal weapon, and she is capable of even slaying magical beasts with it. On top of that, it has strong healing abilities and the unicorn regularly uses it as some sort of mechanical tool.

In addition to this, the prose sentence also gives away a bit of an insight into unicorn psyche: That to her (an immortal creature), it doesn't matter whether she's slaying a dragon, curing a king or feeding bear cubs. All of these tasks are the same for her. You can't get the same level of between-the-lines information from a *purely* objective text.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads