Recosting Magic Items in MIC = Blatant Power Creep...er..Power Charge?

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Kaodi said:
If they recost items in the MIC though, will they update the SRD to reflect the new pricing?

No idea. I've lost track of whether they bother updating the SRD any more.

Cheers!

VirgilCaine

First Post
Olaf the Stout said:
If you mount a light source by glueing it to a shield, what do you do when you want to hide in the dark? Stow your shield away?

Olaf the Stout

People who use shields don't usually have the skill points or light armor needed to hide well anyway. Yeah, I guess a ranger could use a shield, but there's not a lot of point.

Besides, I need light to be able to see, if I can't see, I can't fight well. Spot checks, percentile rolls for concealment, it'll be a mess. Unless of course, I played a dwarf or a half-orc.

Last edited:

Stalker0

Legend
First off, thanks to Sir Brennen for posting the link. I was getting really annoyed going through 20+ posts before I had a clue what people were talking about!!

Second, the article only mentions cost as one way to rebalance items. It lists other examples, such as body slots, or changing the activation time.

Third, this is a great idea, I'm really glad to see the developer's recognize that many magic items just don't cut the mustard.

Glyfair

Explorer
Kaodi said:
If they recost items in the MIC though, will they update the SRD to reflect the new pricing?

I don't think they'll reprice core items in the MIC (although they might include guidelines for doing so). However, as this is a collection of magic items from expansion sources, those will be the repriced ones. Since they aren't in the SRD, it's not an issue.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Felon said:
when the players are in Waterdeep or some other magically-affluent metropolis, I expect plenty of DM's making skill-killers available--be they ropes of climbing and wands of knock. They are, after all, simply following the guidelines set forth for them in the DMG.
Unless they pull a gun on the DM, he can still say they're not available, assuming they're hell-bent on screwing over a fellow player like that anyway.

Felon

First Post
Kaodi said:
I think that article lays it out just like it is. If buffing magic items are the only game in town, than obviously other magic items cost too much, or the buffing magic items cost too little.

Well, the article actually goes on to say that blaming cost alone is just a kneejerk diagnosis, and that just re-pricing isn't the real fix. I suspect that even if the cloak of displacement was cheapened, the cloak of resistance is still likely to be prefered by many PC's. As was suggested by an earlier poster, what they'd pretty much have to do is find a way to take the item with the flat buffs and combine them with the wondrous powers, to make a cloak of resistanct displacement or somesuch.

Felon

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Unless they pull a gun on the DM, he can still say they're not available, assuming they're hell-bent on screwing over a fellow player like that anyway.
"Hell-bent on screwing a fellow player"? Again, I really don't know why you see everything in anatagonistic terms. What we're talking about does not necessarily boil down to consciously hostile intentions. Could it just be that some player wants a certain item for his character, and how it might negatively affect another character isn't even on his radar? I also have to question that it's really a good solution to arbitrarily rule that ropes of climbing, wands of knock, and any number of other skill-killer items don't exist--you can't get one made in Waterdeep, Silvermoon, or anywhere. Where would that list of banned items end?

And as I pointed out earlier, it's taking a lot for granted to expect it to even occur to a DM to take such steps in the first place. If they've got the money, and they can find a place to spend it in, the DM might just think it's harmless. Most DM's haven't participated in this thread, and they trust what the DMG says is appropriate for a character with a certain level of wealth. Heck, even some DM's who have participated in this thread don't see anything wrong with it. Back on the first page, somebody's reply to Takasi was basically "hey, if a guy wants to invest ranks in Use Rope, that's his problem".

Last edited:

hong

WotC's bitch
green slime said:
IMO, it cheapens the game. *shrug*
"The game" doesn't mind being cheapened. "The game" doesn't have an ego. Now if your PLAYER feels cheapened that's different. Do you have a player who's taken ranks in Use Rope?

Remove ads