• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) Recovering Ammunition

Galahadred

Villager
In O5E you can spend a minute after a battle and recover half of your expended ammunition (PHB page 146), but I haven't found any such guidance in A5E. Oversight, or intentionally left out?

Mike Myler

Have you been to LevelUp5E.com yet?
Intentionally left out. Narrators are welcome to house rule it though! For my part I'd say "Any ranged weapon attack using arrows as ammunition does not damage the ammunition on an attack roll that misses the target's Armor Class by 10 or more. An attack roll using ammunition that is a natural 1 destroys the ammunition."

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I use an ammunition die in my o5e game, it works like this.
Ammunition has a die size for the stack (ie 1d12->1d10->1d8->1d6->1d4->1->gone). Any time you make an attack with a weapon using that ammo roll the ammo die & ignore any result other than 1. If you roll a 1 on the ammo die it drops by one die size till the stack depletes. The ammunition die is different from the weapon's damage die.

Last edited:

Jmarso

Adventurer
My rule:

Nat 1: Ammo is done. (Unless magical, then it gets a save)
On a hit: ammo is recoverable. (Fringe benefit of rolling well!)
On a miss:
Outdoors, it vanishes into the wilderness/ undergrowth. Recoverable on a 1 in 6.
Indoors, it smacks the wall. Roll a d6. 1-3, broke. 4-6, recoverable. Magical ammo survives.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads