• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Recovering Lost Equipment?

Sorrowdusk

First Post
Suppose a character had the unfortunate fate to say, die in lava or acid, or tangoed with a horde of Elder Black puddings. :eek:

Would you allow them to just Wish or Miracle all of their equipment back into existence provided they could pay the XP or had someone (if not a spellcaster) that could? Other than that (if they were not a caster, or in a no-caster party) what would you allow them to do about it? Do such encounters warrant a convenient mass drop of new loot? :uhoh:

I've not had it happen to me yet, but I have an 18th lvl CE cleric (but other characters too) and while I have a contingency or two in case I die...I started wondering. I think I must have a couple hundred thousand gold of stuff and I love every piece of it to bits. How many of you guys have ever lost all your stuff?

Crothian

First Post
Yes, a character falls into lava and then the PCs want to wish for all the equipment I'd let them. What would appear would be a steaming pile of melted and worthless equipment. :D

It depends on the equipment and what happened to it. If it was something like an artifact or relic then a wish would not et it back. If it was something that whomever killed the character is now in possession of then a save might be in order to get it back. Of course the PCs won't know till they cast wish and blow the XP.

xigbar

Explorer
If you have an 18th level Cleric in your party, you can conceivably find much more useful ways to acquire replacement wealth, and then some.

frankthedm

First Post
Wish has this built in, IF the caster has the wish ready then and there.

Undo misfortune. A wish can undo a single recent event. The wish forces a reroll of any roll made within the last round (including your last turn). Reality reshapes itself to accommodate the new result. For example, a wish could undo an opponent’s successful save, a foe’s successful critical hit (either the attack roll or the critical roll), a friend’s failed save, and so on. The reroll, however, may be as bad as or worse than the original roll. An unwilling target gets a Will save to negate the effect, and spell resistance (if any) applies.

Otherwise, yeah, full costs for the items.

Wish has a very nice list of what it can and can't do safely, Returning & Restoring for a single Wish more than one round after the fact definitely sound outside the scope of the spell.

Last edited:

Visigani

Banned
Banned
Killing the character... and costing them 5k xp... and then rewarding them with a pile of molten goo is just kind of a prick thing to do.

If they make the wish they should get the equipment back.

Crothian

First Post
Killing the character... and costing them 5k xp... and then rewarding them with a pile of molten goo is just kind of a prick thing to do.

If they make the wish they should get the equipment back.

Well, the character did something like fall into lava to get himself killed. The casting of the Wish and the cost is a player choice on what to do. If they are so careless to wish for equipment that they saw get destroyed then that's what they get. It's not a prick thing for the DM to do, it is the result of careless players.

Shin Okada

Explorer
I always dislike to lose equipments, in any editions of D&D. And had never let PCs fall in such a fate when I DM.

Equipments, especially those of a long-played character, are not just a pile of wealth but part of that character's history.

As a player, if my DM do such a thing, I would rather reroll a new PC or .... worse, stop playing under such a DM, rather than to continue playing.

kitcik

Adventurer
I think the two extremes are, well, extreme.

I would say goodbye to all the non-magical stuff and make each magical item roll an applicable saving throw. I would "ignore" the fact that they would be in the lava for an extended period and rule that, as magic, they settled to the bottom and were encased in cooling rock.

Then, I would allow a wish to retrieve (as opposed to restore) all items that made their save.

Jimlock

Adventurer
I always dislike to lose equipments, in any editions of D&D. And had never let PCs fall in such a fate when I DM.

Equipments, especially those of a long-played character, are not just a pile of wealth but part of that character's history.

As a player, if my DM do such a thing, I would rather reroll a new PC or .... worse, stop playing under such a DM, rather than to continue playing.

yeah... i get childish with equipment too...

it does suck, especially for a long-played character as you said it....

but sh*t happens...

As for the OP's question I'd say that a wish should bring it all back...
...both player and equipment.

It's a WISH we are talking about here... major stuff...

...the problem with this spell is no that its powerful... its the fact that players are allowed to have it so easily.

Remove ads