• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

RECRUITING CLOSED! 4ed: The Wolfcrown

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
RESPONSE ONE: LEVELING UP

I run a 3.5 game where I reward additional XP for time gone by (which is how they do it in LEW). And extra per post.

You could make it easy on yourself by either:
a) doubling the XP for each encounter. Or...
b) taking the XP need per level and cutting it in half

Either way we would advance at a good rate.

RESPONSE TWO: I HATE DISTRACTINGFLARE

At first I thought you were ging to change your name LOL :p

Is the story interesting? Yes, a very good backstory and world to adventure in and a mystery right at the start.

Is the combat fun? NO!! :erm: (jk) I can't believe Torath didn't score one hit in that second combat!! But yes it was fun even though I did nothing I sure tried.

Is the game well-paced? Right on track for me I can check in everyday so it is great.

Comments: I like the way you post some of what has happened during combat. A character or two will go and you will let us know what has happened so far in the round then post an end round. I like that. :lol:

One thing I do in my games is post the AC and Hp of the monsters to my players so they know if they hit or not and can give a good post. You could something like:

To Hit Crag - AC over 14 less than 19
down where you post most damage taken most given. If someone attacks and they missed you can list that and just list the highest number that missed and the lowest that hit.

ok my two cents lets question this mechanical monster. :mad:

HM

Shayuri

First Post
Number the One:

My suggestion for leveling is to make it Plot Appropriate. That is, perhaps at the end of a "mission" or dungeon or something, perhaps during a downtime, perhaps during any of a number of story appropriate moments, we level. There are no experience points. You let us know when we level. This gives you a free hand in determining the pace that we advance at and makes it easy to vary difficulties of fights without messing with that pace ("this would be a fun fight, but it's hardly worth any exp..." or "I'd love to pit them against that, but if they kill it, it's worth too much experience!").

It's good for us too, since it lets us level when appropriate for the plot, without having to 'grind' inconsequential fights just to get spare exp. It also means we're not shackled to combat to progress through the plot...it means you aren't obligated to give us fight after fight. That's especially nice in a PBP, where combats take for-freaking-ever, and shouldn't generally be random or trivial.

Number the Two:

So far the game's very intriguing, and I look forward to learning more. I always like a bit of mystery with my games, so it's fun not knowing what the deal is. It's also one of the few games I've played, ever, that's given me a good, solid reason to get some mileage out of the Changeling's minor shapeshift power. :)

So I like it. Keep it up.

Phaezen

Adventurer
Part The First

I will agree with Shayuri, plot based levelling works verry well and is what I use for my home campaign.

Part The Second

Pacing seems to be decent so far, definitely keeping my interest. Looking forward to getting into the mystery behind what is happening, who set us up, who is Crag and who or what is The Cloak?

Also, I like that you update combats frequently, keeping us informed of what is happening.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
I think I like Shayuri's ideal beter than that stupid guy's HolyMan :p

That is a very good way to do progression in pbp and the argeements are sound. Hmmm... might need to look into the way i do things from now on.

HM (i.e. the stupid guy :confused:)

Thank you very much for the encouragement! I'm excited to see what you all decide to do with Crag. I'll check the IC thread a few more times today and try to keep it updated.

I like the plot-related leveling system as well, and I'll also incorporate the AC reference system that HM suggested. When it is time to level up, I'll post a big announcement in both threads so you'll be sure to catch it. I'll also be assigning "homework assignments" that you can do for extra benefits. i'll post more info on that when we get to a resting point.

Most importantly, I'm happy that you're all enjoying yourselves, as that's what this game is all about. Thank you all for being fun, exciting players.

yzard

First Post
DF - however we level is fine with me. The previous answers (sounding from more experience) all sound excellent.

As far as how it is going: I am having fun and enjoying reading through everyone's posts...not much more I could ask for!

Homework Assignment

So I'm going to give each of you an optional assignment for you to complete during your characters' stay at The Fancy Drake. Firstly, this assignment isn't mandatory at all, but completing it will yield a reward: something I like to call a Hero Point.

For completing this assignment, you'll receive one Hero Point. Hero Points can be cashed in for many different in-game benefits.

1 Hero Point: You receive an action point.
3 Hero Points: You go up a level.
5 Hero Points: You receive a visit from a god you worship.
10 Hero Points: You receive an epic-level legendary artifact.

Hero Points can't be traded among you. For instance, Baern can't give his Hero Points to Thomas or Squeal for any reason. Also, Hero Points can only be spent during an extended rest.

So your homework assignment is this: during your stay at The Fancy Drake, tell a story about your character's past. It could be a true story from your character's point of view, or it could be a boastful bluff. It doesn't matter who your audience is: it could be your fellow adventurers, a bar-wench, or any number of fops or ruffians hanging out in the tavern. The goal is to develop your character in a significant way. Have fun with it.

This assignment must be completed by noon (US Central time) on Friday if you want to receive the reward.

In the future, when role-playing opportunities come up, I may offer more homework assignments like this one. I might also give Hero Points for exceptional performance in combat.

Shayuri

First Post
Do we have to tell about the character's past to another character? Can it simply be revealed through internal monologue or flashback?

I don't see Thorn volunteering about her past so soon to people she doesn't know, but I could definitely reveal it to the reader via any number of methods.

industrygothica

Adventurer
Do we have to tell about the character's past to another character? Can it simply be revealed through internal monologue or flashback?

I don't see Thorn volunteering about her past so soon to people she doesn't know, but I could definitely reveal it to the reader via any number of methods.

Oh goodie.. Shayuri prose. That's always a gift!

Remove ads