• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Recruiting] Forgotten Realms of America

Kalanyr

Explorer
I'm interested and I should be able to catch up on my games soon since I'll be at Uni and not with sporadic net access. But I also want to know what level, I'm interested in a higher level game.

Ascending Crane

First Post
Now we see who really wants to play. :) Send me your d20 character, in text or word format. For right now, I?d like to not have them on a Rogues Gallery thread, until the group meets and gets to know one another within the game. Who should send me a character? Anyone who?s interested in a slot. The best five concepts will be the players, anyone else will be considered an alternate (And as we all know in PBP games, it?s good to have a few alternates). Send your characters to the email address found in my profile. We'll be starting probably on Monday, if that works for everyone!

Character Level: 3rd

Point Buy: 28

Wealth Level: Assume your base wealth level +2. Buy the usual (non-magical) gear you want. I'll add a couple of magical trinkets after you're done. If you have any special requests, feel free to ask for whatever it is.

Races: Any from PHB. The sub-races from FR are allowed - but they use the 'base model' for mechanics (meaning, mechanically there is no difference between ?Sun? and ?Moon? elves). However, be advised that racism against some of these sub-races does exist. For example, Drow Elves are rare ? and while they are not shot or arrested on site, they are usually watched with a jaundiced eye by the local police. Not to mention how normal elves view them! Human is suggested for this game, but I would prefer at least one non-human. No half-aasimar/half-druegar, please. :D

Advanced Classes: Any of the Advanced Classes (Chapter 6) in d20 Modern are acceptable: Soldier, Martial Artist, Gunslinger, Infiltrator, Daredevil, Bodyguard, Field Scientist, Techie, Field Medic, Investigator, Personality, and Negotiator. Mage and Acolyte from the Urban Arcana campaign are also acceptable, of course. As players are starting at 3rd, Advanced Classes are not an issue just yet.

Background: The more detailed the background, the better. Feel free to include anything from the Forgotten Realms, I?ll let you know if I already have plans for it. As I stated previously, you have a great deal of leeway in deciding where your character is from. Real world equivalents exist (Mexico, Japan, etc) ? as well as Forgotten Realms equivalents (Thay, Amn, Cormyr). Think of the geography as very earth-like, but larger ? giving each of these nations a small niche. Wherever you?re originally from, you?re now in Los Angeles, California. Your characters name should be more d20 Modern than D&D ? although the various non-human races do sometimes have unusual names.

Rules Changes: There are two: 1) We use subdual damage, not the 'non-lethal damage' in d20 Modern. Subdual damage heals as per the PH. 2) Acolyte healing turns HP damage into subdual damage. This accomplishes a few things - chief among them making classes such as 'Medic' far more appealing. Email me if you have any questions or concerns about this rule.

Looking forward to starting!

Last edited:

Sixchan

First Post
Do Common and English count as seperate Languages? I'm trying to decide which languages I'm going to have (my charater's very multi-lingual).

Ascending Crane

First Post
Ahhh good question. We'll be using primarily modern day languages (english, japanese, etc) along with racial (elvish, dwarvish, draconic). There is no common - just english. :)

Sixchan

First Post
Okay, I've got a new idea regarding the map of the world.

We could just make Earth twice as big at the Pacific and graft the Realms onto the Toril-sized expanse of water. We don't need rid of any existing countries, or even to place the individual lands anywhere in particular, although it would probably be appropriate to reverse the Realms East-West so that Oriental and Native American Cultures line up properly.

P.S. Character sent.

Robbert Raets

Explorer
So how does Elminster fit into this? Or the Seven (you've alluded to Storm, but the others)? The Time of Troubles?

Very k3wl. I'll see if I can send you a Char as well tomorrow. Can I be a Harper :) ??

Sixchan

First Post
All those events would play havoc with the Timeline. Mundane, non-magical effects that I can see would be:

America & Maztica:
Alaska is part of Canada, because you have half a planet between Siberia and Alaska, and so Russia wouldn't have had it to sell to America.

Northern Maztica may be part of the USA, meaning there's LOTS more states, and making America an ABSOLUTELY FRIGGIN' MASSIVE country.
OR
Maztica had it's own colonies that broke loose from Faerun, but adopted the City-State nature of much of the Sword Coast, meaning any 'United States of Maztica' would be even looser in regards to unity than even the Confederate States were. They would probably stay neurtal in that conflict, though.

Europe & Faerun:
The Russian Civil War could likely have been won by the Whites, since Thay would likely assist Russia in supressing its peasantry.
OR
The Russian Civil War is still won by the Communists, and then Communist revolution spreads to Thay!

Depending on relations between Faerunian and European countries, World War will either happen in Faerun and Europe, or between Faerun and Europe. Should Europe be more advanced in technology, but with no knowledge of Magic until the discovery of the Forgotten Realms, this is much more likely to happen between the continents rather than in them due to alliances. Also because of Religion.

Asia & Kara-Tur:
Oooh. This is a toughie.
Japan will never bomb Pearl Harbour. There is no Pacific Ocean for the Japanese to lose in. I'd expect a Japanese empire to be kicking non-magical butt in Asia, and after they've consolidated their power, possibly to even go after Kara-Tur. Whether thay would be successful would likely hinge on who they were attacking in Kara-Tur; Faerunians or Kara-Turians, and who was supporting them.

Africa:
Can't see much change here.

ANyone have a good map of Toril? I could stick them together and come up with a boundary map, if need be.

Remove ads