[Recruiting] [GURPS 4e] [TL9] Another World Within

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
Hello and thank you for taking interest in this mission.

This is a Science Fiction game, inspired by themes from Stargate Universe. This is taking place in a custom universe, not the Stargate verse. The game is intended to be a sandbox game, The opening event will be admittedly railroaded, but after that player choices will determine the nature of the game. The game is intended to have themes of survival and scavenging, first contact, exploration, diplomacy, behind enemy lines, figuring out alien cultures and advanced technology or primitive technology depending on player choices.

This game is GURPS 4th Edition, if you do not have access to the books, GURPs lite is freely available here This should be satisfactory to play in the game but you will need help from other players and myself for your gear and possibly for advantages.

Background:
The year is 2103, Fusion power has relieved mankind’s need for energy but materials are still an issue. The major corporations of the world have taken to interplanetary space for resources, especially metals from the asteroid belt, and hydrocarbons from Titan. Earthly governments have found themselves unable to police these corporations. Piracy and even open warfare exist between these corporations. Due to the vastness of interplanetary space, the impossibility of stealth and light speed communications, these battles may be unfamiliar to those of a century before. (Ships will see their attackers months before the attack and be able to notify their superiors with no way to prevent the attack or reinforcement to arrive before the battle is over.)

It is one is one of these battles that our game begins. The Exxon-Mobil tanker “Nebula Harvest” on route to Mars colony from Titan, has been tracking a ship flying under false flag on an intercept course for 2 months. Exxon-Mobil has dispatched the “Shen Yang” to reclaim the cargo, this ship will arrive 3 months after time of interception. Unknown to the crew of the “Nebula Harvest” the approaching ship is the GE ship “Aurora Bounty” tasked to capture the “Nebula Harvest” and divert its course to a base at Ceres.

Players are from one of 3 teams, “Nebula Harvest” Crew, “Aurora Bounty” crew, takeover crew. The takeover crew is carried by “Aurora Bounty” and will repair and pilot the “Nebula Harvest” to Ceres after the battle.

The Game:
I have included a few “Metagame Spoiler” You are allowed to look at this, it will not reveal exactly what will happen, and will help you save points or create characters that will have an easier time, however it is not required if you want to take a more realist approach to character creation.

Players are 100 pts with no more than 50 pts of Disadvantages

All players are human, mankind has discovered microorganisms in the dark seas under Europa, but no other extraterrestrial life.

HOUSE RULE: Despite what the book says, your character’s weight MUST fit into the Build Range or you must take a Build that fits your weight, the reason for this you will see later.

Allowed Cultures: Western, Eastern, Middle Eastern, African, Latino, Martian, Lunar, L5. Player’s whose Home Culture is Martian, Lunar or L5 may purchase a Earth Cultural Familiarity for 0 points.

Allowed Languages: Any Modern Earth, English prefered. Mandarin and Spanish are common.

Technology level is TL9, No humans have a TL greater than 9, though some (unlikely to be on a spaceship) may have a TL lower than 9. No human culture has discovered any Superscience.

All Wealth, Reputations, and Status are available, however the spaceship crews are unlikely to be higher than Status 1. Status typically comes free from Wealth or Rank, however Status without Wealth or Rank would apply to someone who is famous without those attributes. Rank is available from Exxon-Mobil or GE levels 1-4. Privileges are unlikely unless they apply to a character’s personal background. Debt is allowed, but worth 0 points.

[sblock=”Metagame Spoiler”]
The nature of the game after the opening event Wealth and Influence will be much less useful than a normal game.
[/sblock]

As all player characters are humans you may not take any Exotic or Supernatural advantages or disadvantages, if you are using the GURPS lite rules, these are not listed, simply use common sense about what a natural human is able to do. If you don’t know, Ask.

The Disadvantage “Mundane Background” is not allowed.

Any Advantage or Disadvantage that involves other people, Allies, Contacts, Dependants, etc. require that the people must start the game on 1 of the 2 ships.

Without some explanatory background all players will have a 0 point Quirk, Corporate Employee

Wildcard Skills (!) are not allowed, neither are magical skills such as Thaumatology.

[sblock=”Metagame Spoilier”]
There is a high likelihood that skilled to operate your spaceships will be less useful than you might imagine. Skills involving Linguistics and Wilderness Survival are likely to be much more useful than life aboard a spaceship between Saturn and Jupiter would suggest.
[/sblock]

There is no Magic or Psionics.

Equipment is available up to and including TL9, GURPS Ultra-Tech or even GURPS Bio-Tech may be useful but are not needed. No Superscience (^) is allowed. Items of Legality Class (LC) 3 and 4 are available. LC 2 items are allowed to the Takeover crew.

All players get 600lbs on the ship. This includes themselves, their gear and a remaining 2 months food (254 lbs), and 7 gallons of water (56lbs) for the recycler.

Make my NPC’s for me ;)
In addition to creating your character there is another requirement, you must create 2 NPCs aboard the 2 ships, you will not stat up the NPCs and only a small paragraph about them is required. Your character must have some relationship to the NPC, it is not required that the relationship is friendly (Ex. Bob on the opposite ship is my mortal enemy)

This will be my first GURPS game, but the setting is something I’ve planned for a very long time. And I thank you for reading this far.

Any Questions?

Shayuri

First Post
GURPS? Sci fi?

Done.

No questions asked.

I'll make one of the soldiers on the takeover crew.

Is the takeover squad considered military, using military ranks, or does GE have their own thing going? Backgroundwise, are they more freelance mercenaries, or regular troops?

Last edited:

Moon_Goddess

Takeover Squad would best be considered Pirates or Privateers. They would use GE Rank. Interplanetary space is legally analogical to International Waters, and despite trying no government has been able to take power over space. In space (and beginning to apply on Earth and Mars colony as well) Multinational Corporation have more power than Governments and are beginning to seem like corporate states. L5 Colony is entirely owned and governed by Google.

Backgroundwise you may have been freelance mercenaries before taking this job, or you might have been Earthbound troops, or you may have just worked you way up there the ranks of the GE Security Division till you got to this job.

It would be entirely appropriate to consider there to be different forms of rank, Administrative and Security within each Corporation but I was trying to keep things simple as that was a big mind-dump up there. :)

Forgot to mention above, there are 3 NPC jobs you cannot touch. Captain of the "Nebula Harvest" Captain of the "Aurora Bounty" and the Corporate Liaison about the Aurora Bounty, who will be going with the takeover team after the take over.

Shayuri

First Post
Okay, I'm thinking a former soldier of Earth who turned mercenary after mustering out, and is now employed by GE. Would Duty (Employer) be a disad for this notion, or is that sort of assumed? Hm. Sense of Duty might work too...

Need my books for this. :)

Moon_Goddess

Yes, you should definitely take an appropriate amount of Duty for the amount of Rank you have bought, you may not gain more point in duty than you spent in rank, this does not apply to Sense of Duty that's entirely separate.

Jemal

Adventurer
Haven't played Gurps in forever.. I think it was first or second edition.. sometime last century..
I've actually been working on a sci-fi campaign myself similar to the 'lost in space' type like SGU, Andromeda, Star Trek Voyager, BSG, etc, but I'll be using a different system - likely M&M, which I'm much more familiar with.

Anyways, I love SCI FI and if I can figure out how to make a character I'm in. Don't suppose you wanna try a different system? ;) :p Might also drive up interest.

Last edited:

Jemal

Adventurer
*I've read through the Gurps Lite rules, and also got my hands on a copy of Gurps Ultra-tech (Sadly no full gurps book), so should be able to make a gurps character. I'll put some thought into it.

.. gurps.. heh... sorry just amusing to say.

Moon_Goddess

[MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION] Yes, standard wealth. Vacc Suits are expensive. The nebula harvest is equipped with and extensible cutting airlock, so you might not have to go outside. But you never know. At least it's not the $2,000,000 for a TL7 spacesuit.

I'll try to get the ship details posted today.
[MENTION=9026]Jemal[/MENTION] I'll be more than happy to help you with anything you need to get into this game. Sorry about the system choice, but to me I like the shopping list of items, the equipment chapter of M&M is woefully incomplete compared to GURPS ultra-tech.

Shayuri

First Post
Yeah, you're supposed to 'design' equipment that's not on the list with points. :)

But I love me some GURPS. Hardly anyone runs it. So I'm good with this.

Good point about the vaccsuit prices. And since TL9 base wealth is 30,000...it is not so bad.

But since I'm sure a very popular anti-intruder tactic is to vent atmosphere outside a secured area, vaccsuits are important for hostile boarding actions regardless of airlock status. :)

Which reminds me! What level of resistance are we reasonably expecting? Do these sorts of ships routinely carry marines or other security personnel to repel boarders? Do we have access to deckplans or anything similar going in?

Remove ads