[Recruiting] stonegod's Expedition to Castle Ravenloft [Eberron, 3.5]

EvolutionKB

First Post
With some renewed interest decided to go with background before crunch.

[sblock=Background]Avron Hekler, son of a pair of crossed lovers. Mother from the House of Deneith, father from the House of Tharashk. His parents, a pair that loved adventure, travel, and doing what is right. Unfortunately, love is supposed to stop at house boundaries. Not in this case though. The lovers left their houses, and everything the family name had given them, all in pursuit of something more. Adventuring was a suitable profession for both. They fully trusted one another, and danger wasn’t an issue, until one day. Avron’s parents approached Barovia. They intended to enter the valley, they had heard it contained a powerful curse. The night before crossing the border, his mother awakened feeling extremely sick and her own medical training confirmed what they had feared. She was with child.
The pair turned back before entering the valley, not knowing how the power of the curse or the trouble they would find within would affect their unborn child. The pair settled in a small town in Karrnath, because his pregnant mother was having trouble traveling now and because of being excoriated from their houses, the small town would hide their presence. Avron’s mother, a strong woman who had her fair share of injuries while adventuring didn’t survive the childbirthing process, whether it was because of old injuries that had affected her internally, or some other reason is unknown. Avron’s father was horribly affected by the death of his lover. He became increasingly angry at the world and even abusive to his son, something that was not within his personality. The folk of the small town in which they lived pleaded with the man to give up the child and he eventually did. He intended to leave town as well, giving up his child to a local family. The wealth he had from his days of adventuring was given to the family as well. He had no use of them where he was going. After leaving town, he was found hanging dead from the branch of an old rotten tree in the middle of a field. A single crow stood on a branching.
Avron tooks his adoptive family’s name for he knew not of his parents’ bloodlines. From a young age he was very intelligent. At the small schoolhouse the town used, Avron soon eclipsed the older students in his breadth and depth of knowledge. Avron learned more of the outside world through small caravans that came through. And they learned of him as well. They learned of the young man who taught villagers Elven after picking it up from passersby. They learned of the teen that shared stories and drinks with adventurers that passed through. Eventually word spread far enough of the learned man that those in higher places sought him out. Morgrave came first, coming to recruit the prodigy to learn at their academy. The price was steep for a simple man like Avron, but he had saved much of his families fortune, and set out for a wider world. Working at Morgrave came to mean more field work; more field work meant more danger. He was sent into Q’barra and the Shadow Marches on several expeditions. He took to it like his parents did, storing all his newly gained knowledge inside his brain.
That is when it first appeared. On the return from The Shadow Marches it appeared on the inside of his forearm. A delicate pattern of purplish black color, when he willed it, an invisible shield of force would appear in front of him. He surely knew it was an aberrant mark. He remembered the whispered words of the townsfolk where he grew up, he knew his “parents” did not share any of his features. Could his parents have been of the Dragonmarked houses?
Avron researched Dragonmarks and the source of his real parents tirelessly. Soon after, The Twelve inquired about his services. Avron almost declined his membership into their ranks. He convinced himself that he could keep his own mark hidden, and continue his research with those with the best knowledge of the subject. He took a myriad of tasks and missions for The Twelve. This final one was the most dangerous though. He knew somehow that he would not return, but he knew that what he found would change him forever. Once they walked the countyside, things began to fall into place. They traveled through the small town where he had grown up, and into Barovia itself.
Sitting and waiting was getting on Avron’s nerves. Doubt plagued his mind, he had learned of the curse here. Was his mark some sort of effect of the curse? He was beginning to have nightmares. He was himself as an child, his father beating him for a minor wrong, soon his father’s face became that of Mateusz Ochem’s. He became more and more paranoid that something bad was going to happen very soon, he had visions of a horde of undead pulling him from his bedroll and ripping him apart. Something had to be done, somebody needs to know. The combat capable group that was hired by The Twelve, they would work, they were his only hope.[/sblock]
[sblock=Quirks] Before returning to the valley, Avron was a knowledgeable and able-minded man. Now back near his home, stranded in a valley with a boss who could make a ogre look cruel, he has gone mad. The sanity that shows through from time to time is amazingly intelligent and empathetic. Most of the time Avron shows signs of his mental state, seeing things, cursing at nothing, cackling maniacally and telling all of their impending doom.[/sblock]
[sblock=Appearance] Avron formerly wore fine clothes. Now his appearance is quite different. The clothes are ripped and stained. His greasy blonde hair is though he cut it with a dagger without the aid of a mirror(and indeed he did). A stubble of a beard coats his cheeks and chin. If one would peel the bracer off his right forearm, one could see recently healed scars where it appears he tried to cut off his dragonmark. His mark is about the size and shape of a clawed human hand, colored purplish black on the inside of his right forearm. His grey eyes constantly dart back and forth, looking for imagined dangers. When excited he spits when he talks, and foam gathers at the corners of his mouth.[/sblock]

renau1g

First Post
I'm going to go with the shifter druid.

Returning Shaman:

Name: Ravika, formerly of the Sabertooth clan
Race: Dreamsight Shifter
Size: M
Alignment: CG

[sblock=Appearance]
Ravika looks even more bestial than most of her shifter bretheren, her body is covered in coarse black fur. She doesn't trim her hair, or any other part of her body hair, leaving it a tangled mess of oily, mangy hair. Bits of twigs, leaves, etc. cling to the hair adding to her disheveled appearance. Her dark brown eyes have a wild appearance to them, always darting from one side to the other, never resting for long on any one thing. Ravika appears almost emaciated, as her lithe body is very gaunt, but well muscled. Her teeth are sharp and yellowed from lack of any maintanence. She wears very little in the way of traditional clothes, preferring to wear clothing made from the hide of animals she's personally killed. Ravika currently has a tattered outfit made from a clawfoot that attacked her.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Background]
Ravika was born in the valley in the shadow of the Morr Mountains into a tribe of shifters who were deeply in touch with their more natural, or bestial some would say, nature. They lived a life of simplicity and shunned outside contact, hiding to keep themselves from being discovered. A nomadic group, they travelled across the valley hunting game and living off the land. Ravika had a very strong tie to nature and the natural world and would often disappear for days, and sometimes weeks, at a time to commune more closely with the valley.

Despite her preclivity to disappearing, Ravika was quite intuitive and knowledgable about the region, claiming that the forest spoke to her and guided her hand. Ravika began to be looked at for advice and earned the respect of the clan by leading them to fertile hunting and keeping them from discovery. She was also capable of protecting the clan from the dangers of the wild, once again saying the forest worked through her to protect itself.

Ravika was the first to notice the signs of the insidious curse working through the valley, growing stronger with each passing day. First the natural predators grew more and more viscious, growing beyond her ability to calm them with soothing words. The forest grew silent and she could no longer hear its comforting sounds in her head. Ravika grew quite afraid as she saw a change in her clan as well. They grew more feral and bickering broke out amongst the shifters, which was more than a little unusual. Ravika awoke in a sweat, when she heard the calling. It was a soft voice, similar to the voice of the forest she had grown to love and the druid was comforted by that, thinking that at last the darkness had passed and things would return to normal. How wrong she was.

Something in the voice didn't feel right to Ravika, who by this time had risen in prominance with the clan to an unofficial leader, as there weren't formal leadership. She couldn't put her finger on it, but the soft voice seemed to be trying to pull her away from herself, calling on her to give into her urgings, revel in the feeling of nature and give herself over to the beast inside her. It was so alluring, how she enjoyed the feeling of running through the forest in the form of an animal. That's when a tiny, barely audible voice pushed through the other to be heard. It was a warning, that by following this path she'd be giving up herself. Ravika wasn't sure if it was reason, or the forest that allowed her to see the truth of the situation. She fought against the call and after a tremendous effort managed to shut the voice from her head.

Ravika looked at the others in the tribe after this event and they seemed the same as before. Breathing a sigh of relief the shifter told her fellows that she needed to know what was going on and was going to travel alone to see if she could determine the cause of the unnatural events. Despite her best efforts, though, Ravika was unable to determine the cause herself and after three weeks returned to the site of the tribe. The sight there nearly overwhelmed her. The tribe was no longer itself, they hadn't just taken on some aspects of their lycanthropic heritage, but had fully changed into were-creatures.

Realizing the danger of remaining in the area with a group of powerful creatures, twisted by darkness, Ravika left and tried to figure out how she could release them from the curse. Figuring she had to locate the source of the voice that nearly broke down even her formidable will, Ravika decided to take a look on the tribe to see if there was any improvement.

Returning to the site, Ravika saw the bloody remains of the tribespeople, slain and left unburied. She was glad to see that at least they had returned to themselves, but the shock of seeing them left her empty inside. The shaman wondered what powerful group was powerful enough to have defeated her entire tribe. She examined the wounds and realized that they weren't caused by natural creatures, but by manufactured weapons or by magical assault. Ravika buried the bodies in deep graves to avoid them being dug up by scavenging animals. Standing before the ghosts of the tribe, she swore an oath that she would avenge them and throw off this curse that destroyed them. She realized that her best chance to follow through on this promise was to find the group that freed her family and so turned into her beast form. Ravika set off to track them down....

[/sblock]

[sblock=Personality]
Ravika used to be more of an easy going person, good natured and well grounded. However the events that happened recently have more than a little unhinged the shifter. She is more wild and reckless now, speaks constantly to the ghosts of her dead clan. Ravika is more feral and unforgiving, anxious to mete out punishment on those that have destroyed her world. She previously viewed her connection with nature to be one of harmony, which was reflected in her channeling the more peaceful side of nature's power (i.e. cure spells, non-damaging spells, etc), but her newfound anger has made her tap into the more destructive aspects of the forest. Ravika plans to teach whomever was responsible for the corruption of nature that it is not powerless to defend itself.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Links]
Here's a link to the longest running game I'm in, I think it's from the second game I joined on the site:
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=218662

Here's one that's been going for a little while also:
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=224316

A final one:
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=222238
[/sblock]

Last edited:

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Think I'll close recruitment as of Friday, so folks should have their entries in by then. I'll decide over the weekend.

Voda Vosa

First Post
It seems I'll have to cut my submission. Today I have received tons of work, that must be done. I wish I have an homunculus to do that -.-

stonegod

It seems I'll have to cut my submission. Today I have received tons of work, that must be done. I wish I have an homunculus to do that -.-
Cursed work!

Looks like the choice is between Evo and r1. Don't have any real questions at this time, though I'll point out to renau1g that the Curse has been around the valley for a while, though it hasn't "corrupted" the shifters until recently (similar to his background).

Last edited:

stonegod

Okay, after thinking about it and talking to the current PCs (and being much busy during the weekend), I've made my choices. Lets make this simple:

Evo and r1, stat your PCs please! They'll be 7th level (halfway to 8th) using the rules posted at the beginning (and in the RG thread). Welcome to the game.

Evo Still going the archivist route?

r1 As I mentioned above, the valley's been cursed for a while. The shifter population (which has never left the valley as far back as oral tradition tells them) has always fought the influence of the Curse, sometimes falling, sometimes resisting it. Ravika's time is one of fall, but this time under a mad fey (a tainted nymph) which made it all that more tragic. Thus, as one note, Ravika would only be familiar with animals native to cold Karnnathi mountains (e.g., no dinosaurs).

Please post your completed PCs here first so I can vet them before we get started.

EvolutionKB

First Post
Sweet so we are both in? I'll get started on the sheet right in a bit. Yes archivist is the plan. One thing...Cleric domain spells get the auto okay as being part of the spell list?

Last edited:

stonegod

Cleric domain spells while RAW are allowed for archivists are something the designer of the class didn't actually intended. There's also potential loopholes for classes getting things at different levels (cleric vs. paladin). My rules are pretty simple:
- Base cleric list trumps all others (for pally vs. cleric spells, or cleric vs. druid, or base cleric vs. domain, or cleric vs. adept, etc.)
- Then druid spells (for druid vs. ranger spells, druid vs. adept, etc.)
- Adept, pally, ranger, and domain spells are allowed on an approval basis (most will past muster, its just a sanity check)

And, for any spell caster
- All non-Core sources require approval

Remove ads