(Recruiting) The Sundered Empire (Chainmail Setting +Labyrinth Lord)

Express2.0

First Post
Adventure Hook

Thirteen years ago, before the death of Stratis, before the War, each of you were pupils at Istvan’s School of the Adventuring Arts.

Your master, Istvan, an elf warrior of great renown and even greater honor, was ancient even by the standards of the elves; but he possessed great depths of knowledge which he shared with those of any race he deemed worthy.

The War ended your time at the school. But now you have each received an urgent message from your mentor:

Your help is needed. Attend me, my pupil.

Istvan

The message was characteristically Istvan: terse and to the point. But something in its vagueness was enough to give you each pause as to the reason for your summoning after all these years....

Last edited:

Express2.0

First Post
Char Gen

Characters begin at 3rd level.

Ability scores: I will roll for players attributes 3d6 six times. Players may arrange scores as they wish. Arrays with a total negative balance will be discarded.

Starting gold: Players begin with gp equal to one half the xp needed for level 3, rounded up if necessary (ie a fighter would have 2033 gp).

Starting spells: Magic users and elves may pick their beginning spells, thw number of which will match their spell progession table.

Potions: Players may at char gen buy potions. The cost is 500 gp per level of the spell the potion mimics (eg a potion fo healing would cost 500 gp).

Scrolls: Magic Users and only magic users may purchase scrolls at char gen. The cost is 500 gp per spell level of the spell on the scroll. If a MU wishes , he may copy the spell into his spellbook.

HP: Players begin with max HP.

Magic items: Players will enter the DMs magic lottery by choosing a number between 1-100 and will receive a magic item picked at random for his particular class.

Last edited:

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Thank ye :p now what to play?

I like the fluff btw looks like a keen world to adventure in if you are a warrior type. So I think I will play a Human Fighter, so I can go toe to toe with some of these baddies.

STR: 16
DEX: 12
CON: 16
INT: 12
WIS: 14
CHA: 10

Looking good I might have had an old red booked set Basic D&D character with the same stats before. LOL

Ok so use the 480 to buy equipment and pick a number from 1-100 = 72
Do we uy potions of healing with that money?

I'll finish up over the weekend as I start my work week tommorrow. And I'm wondering what the old elven master taught the big lug well will work on it.

HM

Express2.0

First Post
HM-

OK I need to read my posts before I hit enter. I am going to re edit the post before concerning Char Gen to make sense and cover two topics I omitted scrolls and potions, as well as change the starting GP. Sorry for the confusion.

As for your magic item:

Northwind Dueling Blade (+1, +2 versus elves) this blade once belonged to a member of the Northwind Dueling Society, one of Ravilla's oldest and most renowned such societies. The tale of how this sword came into your possession is surely worth several drinks at the local inn.

Last edited:

grufflehead

First Post
I'm interested in joining your band of heroes. Haven't had the chance to play with HM much so a good opportunity to set that right. I did play old red box D&D once upon a time so it's vaguely familiar - I downloaded Labyrinth Lord ages ago so will do some reading over the next day or so.

If you can roll me some stats, I'll see what I can come up with - never played an Elf before but we could probably use a cleric and someone who uses magic so I'll see if anyone else pitches in before a final choice..

Express2.0

First Post
As recruitment and char gen continue, I'd like to pipe up about my game intentions and "philosophy" (for want of a better term).

The type of game I'd like to run is a bit of a free form "sandbox". The game itself will have a bit of a wild west feel, based in a camp/town in the disputed regions of the Sundered Empire, on the edge of an ancient battlefield from the Demon Wars. Instead of an economy based on mining or say cattle, the main industry is artifact and treasure hunting. And of course, the search for the weapons of the slain god Stratis continues.

My hope is to give the players leeway in deciding where they want to go and what they want to do. While there is a general overall quest/theme/purpose, the things the PCs want to do is entirely up to them. The term "emergent play" is the most apropos I guess, where the game evolves based on the heroes or villains the PCs become.

For what its worth, while its not an example of a sandbox, one of my favorite old school modules was the Moldvay penned The Lost City.

For us in the Sundered Empire, it is my hope that loot hunting, factional intrigue as a result of the late war, and general adventure are in the offing.

We now return you to regular programming....

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
hmm some side quest while we still have the overall "go find my old teacher" quest.

Sounds good to me I hope to have my character ready by WED as I just got in and am due back in abou 8 hours. :(

And WED is my only day off this week.

HM

Remove ads