• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Recurring BBEG Pirate

Rakusia

First Post
Im sorry i said int meant wis. Got mixed up in my head. Im more used to wizard. Differences in dnd to pathfinder arent that great that same thing couldnt happen. Why are you getting so offensive im having a civil discussion. My argument is valid and switching spell slots from higher to a lower is raw in both systems even without using the lower spell slots it would still hit a piece of wood of a large size class. Ive acknowledged your right as dm to allow or not allow something. Im just showing the point for why i would allow the same thing. Ive been civil with everyone here and would ask for the same courtesy

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
In what edition did INT have anything to do with a druid? They are a WIS based class and with a high wisdom they would have 4 2nd level spells at 8th level. Casting lower level spells in a spell slot is an OPTIONAL rule, not RAW. Second, pathfinder does not roll for stats but uses point buy. Why are you commenting on a pathfinder thread when you say you don't know the system? Even the OP stated he is using pathfinder rules and just using 3.5 sources if they fit into pathfinder. Nothing wrong with 3.5 IMHO, but it isn't the discussion here. Pathfinder is quite different than 3.5 in too many ways at this point.

The intelligence reference may have been a slip Rakusia's part, but being able to prep a lower level spell in a higher level slot is RAW for both 3e and Pathfinder (see page 220 of the Core Rulebook for specifics on spell slots and divine spells). And rolling is still referred to as the standard method for generating ability scores in Pathfinder (page 15 of the Core Rulebook).

Stormonu

Legend
Also, I missed it the first time around when the Warp Wood spell was posted, but you can "stack" castings to affect a larger object. If the druid had a stack of scrolls, a wand or enough spell levels, he could affect the large ship (It would take about 11 charges from a wand [caster level 3], to affect a Colossal object).

BTW, That "Pirate Parrot" is awesome. Reminds me of the Pirate Parrot race I made for 3E...(please excuse me while I pimp my "Bestiary Malfearous")

[sblock]
[h=2]Pirate Parrot[/h]Tiny Magical Beast
Rogue 1
Hit Dice: 1d6 (2 hp)
Initiative: +4 (+4 Dex)
Speed: 15 feet (3 squares), fly 50 ft. (8 squares) (good)
Armor Class: 17 (+2 size, +5 Dex), touch 17, flat 12
BAB/Grapple: +0/-13
Attack: Rapier +7 melee (1d3-4;18-20/x2) or Claw +7 melee (1d2-4)
Full Attack: Rapier +7 melee (1d3-4;18-20/x2) or Claw +7 melee (1d2-4), bite +2 melee (1d3-4)
Space/Reach: 2½ ft. /0 ft.
Height: 1 ft. 6 in. + 1d6 in. (1 ft. 9 in.)
Weight: 1 lbs. + 1d2 lbs. (2 lbs.)
Special Att: Sneak attack +1d6
Special Qual: Low-light vision, mimic, trapfinding
Saves: Fort +0, Ref +7, Will -1
Abilities: S2 D21 C11 I10 W9 Ch8
Skills: Bluff +3*, Disguise +3*, Escape Artist +8, Gather Information +3, Intimidate +3*, Listen +9, Profession (Sailor) +4, Sleight of Hand +5, Spot +5
Feats: Alertness, Weapon FinesseB
Environment: Warm forest, hills
Organization: Solitary, Brace (2), Crew (2-5 plus 0-1 buccaneers), Raiding Party (2-5 buccaneers) or Galley (5-20 plus 2-5 buccaneers plus 0-1 first mate plus 0-1 sea captain)
CR: ¼
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually Neutral Evil
Advancement: By Character Class
Level Adj: +0
This bird appears to be a colorful macaw that wears a golden earring and sports a cloth cap. There is a malevolent intelligence in its eyes.
Pirate parrots are multi-colored parrots with a penchant for falling in with evil beings – in particular, pirates. Pirate parrots have an innate knowledge of seamanship and a sharp, if not vicious attitude. They are excellent mimicry artists, with an exceptional skill at mocking foes or sowing confusion with their mimicry.
A pirate parrot can speak common and up to three additional languages. They have low-light vision.

[h=4]Combat[/h] Pirate parrots are harassers, often flying in to distract a foe or strike when the foe’s attention is diverted elsewhere. They are general cowards, and will often exaggerate a wound to lull foes into lowering their guard or making quick their own escape.
The pirate parrot presented above has the following ability scores before racial modifiers. Str 12, Dex 13, Con 11, Int 10, Wis 9, Cha 8.
Mimic (Ex): A pirate parrot can imitate nearly any sound it has heard before. When attempting to bluff, intimidate or use the disguise skill, it gains a +8 racial bonus if the action is based off of sound.
Skills: A pirate parrot has a +4 racial bonus to listen checks.

[h=4]Pirate Parrots on Amberos[/h] Pirate Parrots seem to be natives of the islands off the west coast of Amberos. Of late, several of the birds have taken up with the Dragon Armada, acting as scouts for locating ships to plunder and acting as spies for the fleet.

Bird of Reknown, Pirate Parrot.jpg

[h=4]Pirate Parrot Characters[/h] Pirate parrots are often companions to pirate lords, and there are tales among the parrots of their kind who, after years of raiding, came to control their own ship.
Pirate parrots characters have the following abilities.

• Magical Beast
  • Tiny size. A pirate parrot gains a +2 to hit and AC. The character suffers a –8 penalty to grapple, but gains a +8 bonus to hide.
  • Low-light vision. A pirate parrot can see twice as far as a human in dim or twilight conditions.
  • Base speed 15 feet, fly 50 feet (good)
  • Mimic (Ex): A pirate parrot can imitate nearly any sound it has heard before. When attempting to bluff, intimidate or use the disguise skill, it gains a +8 racial bonus if the action is based off of sound.
  • Weapon Finesse as a bonus racial feat.
  • Natural attack. A pirate parrot has a natural claw attack that deals 1d2 + Str modifier damage and a bite attack that deals 1d3 + ½ Str modifier damage. The bite attack is considered a secondary attack.
  • No reach. A pirate parrot does not threaten adjacent squares and cannot make attacks of opportunity.
  • -10 Str, +8 Dex. As a small bird, pirate parrots are physically weak, but quick and agile.
  • Skills: A pirate parrot has a +4 racial bonus to listen checks.
  • Limited Grasp: When not flying, a pirate parrot can only use one leg as a hand. When so using a leg as a hand, it moves at ½ normal rate. A pirate parrot may employ both hands while flying.
  • Automatic Languages: Common Bonus Languages: Any except secret languages (such as Druidic)
  • Favored Class: Rogue
  • Level Adjustment:

[h=3]Pirate Parrot Buccaneer[/h]Pirate Parrot Rogue 3/Fighter 2; hp 26
S5 D23 C13 I10 W12 Ch8;Fort +5, Ref +9, Will +2
Init: +6 Move: 15 ft., fly 50 ft. (good)
AC: 21 (+2 size, +6 Dex, +3 leather +1), touch 18, flat 15
BAB/Grapple: +4/-7
Full Attack: +1 rapier +13 melee (1d3-2;18-20/x2) or claw +12 melee (1d2-3), bite +7 melee (1d3-3)
Special Att: Sneak attack +2d6
Special Qual: Evasion, low-light vision, mimic, trapfinding, trap sense +1
Skills: Balance +6, Bluff +6, Climb –3, Escape Artist +6, Hide +21, Intimidate +6, Jump –9, Listen +15, Move Silently +13, Profession (Sailor) +10, Spot +11, Swim –3, Tumble +13
Feats: Alertness, DodgeF, Fly-by Attack, Weapon FinesseB, Weapon Focus (Rapier)F
CR: 5
Gear: leather +1 (1,160 gp), +1 rapier (2,320 gp)
Total 3,480 gp (4,300 gp)
Evasion (Ex): If a pirate parrot buccaneer makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, he instead takes no damage. A helpless rogue does not gain the benefit of evasion.
Trap Sense (Ex): +1 bonus on Reflex saves made to avoid traps and a +1 dodge bonus to AC against attacks made by traps.

[h=3]Pirate Parrot First Mate[/h]Pirate Parrot Rogue 6/Fighter 4; hp 53
S6 D23 C13 I10 W12 Ch8;Fort +7, Ref +12, Will +4
AC: 23 (+2 size, +6 Dex, +5 leather +3), touch 18, flat 17
BAB/Grapple: +8/-2
Full Attack: +2 rapier +17/+12 melee (1d3;18-20/x2) or claw +16 melee (1d2-2), bite +11 melee (1d3-2)
Special Att: Sneak attack +3d6
Special Qual: Evasion, low-light vision, mimic, trapfinding, trap sense +2, uncanny dodge
Skills: Balance +6, Bluff +9, Climb –3, Escape Artist +9, Hide +21, Intimidate +9, Jump –9, Listen +16, Move Silently +16, Profession (Sailor) +10, Search +9, Spot +12, Swim –3, Tumble +13
Feats: Alertness, DodgeF, Fly-By Attack, Hover, Mobility, Weapon FinesseB, Weapon Focus (Rapier)F, Weapon Specialization (Rapier)F
CR: 10
Gear: leather +3 (4,160 gp), +2 rapier (8,320 gp)
Total 12,480 gp (27,000 gp)
Evasion (Ex): If a pirate parrot first mate makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, he instead takes no damage. A helpless rogue does not gain the benefit of evasion.
Trap Sense (Ex): +2 bonus on Reflex saves made to avoid traps and a +2 dodge bonus to AC against attacks made by traps.
Uncanny Dodge (Ex): A pirate parrot first mate retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses her Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized.

[h=3]Pirate Parrot Sea Captain[/h]Pirate Parrot Rogue 9/Fighter 6; hp 94
S6 D23 C14 I10 W12 Ch8;Fort +10, Ref +14, Will +8
AC: 25 (+2 size, +6 Dex, +7 leather +5), touch 18, flat 19
BAB/Grapple: +12/+4
Full Attack: +2 wounding rapier +17/+12/+7 melee (1d3;15-20/x2) or claw +16 melee (1d2-2), bite +11 melee (1d3-2)
Special Att: Sneak attack +5d6
Special Qual: Evasion, improved uncanny dodge, low-light vision, mimic, trapfinding, trap sense +3, uncanny dodge
Skills: Balance +6, Bluff +15, Climb –3, Escape Artist +9, Hide +21, Intimidate +15, Jump –9, Listen +20, Move Silently +16, Profession (Sailor) +13, Search +12, Spot +16, Swim –3, Tumble +13
Feats: Alertness, DodgeF, Fly-By Attack, Hover, Improved Critical (Rapier)F, Iron Will, Leadership, Mobility, Weapon FinesseB, Weapon Focus (Rapier)F, Weapon Specialization (Rapier)F
CR: 15
Gear: leather +5 (25,160 gp), +2 wounding rapier (32,320 gp)
Total 57,480 gp (59,000 gp)
Evasion (Ex): If a pirate parrot sea captain makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she instead takes no damage. A helpless rogue does not gain the benefit of evasion.
Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex): A pirate parrot sea captain can no longer be flanked. This defense denies another rogue the ability to sneak attack the character by flanking him, unless the attacker has at least four more rogue levels than the target does.
Trap Sense (Ex): +3 bonus on Reflex saves made to avoid traps and a +3 dodge bonus to AC against attacks made by traps.
Uncanny Dodge (Ex): A pirate parrot sea captain retains his Dexterity bonus to AC even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses her Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized.
Leadership: Leadership score 14; One 10th level cohort (pirate parrot first mate); Fifteen 1st level followers (pirate parrot marauder); One 2nd level follower (pirate parrot bosun)

Pirate Parrot Marauder: CR 1; pirate parrot Rogue 1; hp 5; Init +6; Spd 15 ft., fly 50 ft (good); AC 20 (+2 size, +6 Dex, +2 mw studded leather) touch 18, flat 14; BAB +0; Gpl –10; Full Atk rapier +7 melee (1d3-4;18-20/x2); Space/Reach: 2½ ft./0 ft.; SA sneak attack +1d6; SQ low-light vision, mimic, trapfinding; SV Fort +2, Ref +8, Will +1; Str 3 Dex 23 Con 14 Int 10 Wis 12 Cha 8
Skills and Feats: Bluff +3, Craft (Trapmaking) +4, Escape Artist +10, Gather Information +3, Listen +3, Open Lock +4, Profession (Sailor) +4, Sleight of Hand +10, Spot +3, Use Rope +4; Alertness, Weapon FinesseB
Gear: mw studded leather (175 gp), mw rapier (320 gp), gold earring (25 gp) Total: 520 gp (900 gp)

Pirate Parrot Bosun: CR 2; pirate parrot Rogue 2; hp 11; Init +6; Spd 15 ft., fly 50 ft (good); AC 18 (+2 size, +6 Dex) touch 18, flat 12; BAB +0; Gpl –10; Full Atk rapier +6 melee (1d3-4;18-20/x2); Space/Reach: 2½ ft./0 ft.; SA sneak attack +1d6; SQ low-light vision, mimic, trapfinding; SV Fort +2, Ref +8, Will +1; Str 3 Dex 23 Con 14 Int 10 Wis 12 Cha 8
Skills and Feats: Bluff +4, Craft (Trapmaking) +5, Escape Artist +11, Gather Information +4, Listen +4, Open Lock +5, Profession (Sailor) +5, Sleight of Hand +11, Spot +4, Use Rope +5; Alertness, Weapon FinesseB
Gear: studded leather +1 (1,175 gp), mw rapier (320 gp), potion of cure moderate wounds (300 gp) Total: 1,795 gp (2,000 gp)
[/sblock]

dragonis111

First Post
Wow I'm gone from the internet for 2 days and this thread exploded. First off thanks to everyone for the tons of information. After some thinking I'm treating parts of the ship as single wooden items and not the whole ship as one. As in the hull is one massive item, but things like the ships wheel, rudder, masts, trapdoors, and such can all be targeted separately by the spell and have their own sizes.

Starfox

Hero
A warped ship springs a leak and gains the broken condition. If the ship is reduced to below half its hit points while warped, it gains the sinking condition.
Source Skull & Shackles Player's Guide

The original description (springs a leak) is ok. The add-on from Skull & Shackles is too extreme.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
The original description (springs a leak) is ok. The add-on from Skull & Shackles is too extreme.

I don't think it's too extreme if one caveat is applied: that's the result you get if the ship's hull is treated as a single, colossal object. Meaning: It takes 32 caster levels worth (over multiple castings) to achieve that amount of effect.

Last edited:

brvheart

Explorer
My apologies for not being civil and breaking Wheaton's Law. But if you actually start playing pathfinder you would find how different it really is. We assumed it was close when we started playing it and mix and match, but that does not work well often is what I should have said. There are a thousand little changes that add up to a huge change system wise.
As for the changes in S&S, one can use them or not, I offered them as they are there and IMHO give a better description as to what you were trying to do.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads