• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Recurring BBEG Pirate

Rakusia

First Post
Yes there are a lot of tiny changes. I have the pathfinder beginning box and a few books i think. Thank you for the apology.

brvheart

Explorer
It is enough that when we started playing pathfinder after playing 3.5 since it's inception we thought it would be a piece of cake to transition, were we wrong! Almost nothing works the same. It was like relearning the game all over again! Yeah a lot of things are similar or the same, but enough isn't that you have to be on top of the changes all the time. Spell affects, classes, monsters, etc all work a little different and it is all based on a point buy system now. Tried using rolled characters at first. They don't mix well. The system is designed for a 15 point buy or a max of 25. Rolling gets you too powerful of characters too often. Three months in and we almost trashed it all and went back to 3.5! I couldn't even find my log in here and had to find a new one. Finally remembered my old password.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
It is enough that when we started playing pathfinder after playing 3.5 since it's inception we thought it would be a piece of cake to transition, were we wrong! Almost nothing works the same. It was like relearning the game all over again! Yeah a lot of things are similar or the same, but enough isn't that you have to be on top of the changes all the time. Spell affects, classes, monsters, etc all work a little different and it is all based on a point buy system now. Tried using rolled characters at first. They don't mix well. The system is designed for a 15 point buy or a max of 25. Rolling gets you too powerful of characters too often. Three months in and we almost trashed it all and went back to 3.5! I couldn't even find my log in here and had to find a new one. Finally remembered my old password.

Your experience doesn't match mine at all. We're finding the compatibility about 90% or so. Yes, there are occasional changes that trip us up (the latest being share spells for companions/eidolons) but they really are minor bits.
And rolling stats - wasn't a problem at all. I do think that PF makes better use of multiple good rolls in some cases than 3.5 did, but I think that's an improvement.

brvheart

Explorer
I guess a lot of it depends where you cut off 3.5. We cut off sources with Players Guide II. With that book and forward 3.5 made a lot of changes that were not core so we did not use them. Also our experience with the Summoner is that it is a broken class so we do not use it. It is too overpowered for us.

Rakusia

First Post
as far as rolling for stats is concerned ive home brewed my own way. i have my players roll a d4 6 times. theres their stat bonus

Derren

Hero
So what are exactly the pirate's motivation? Just roaming the sea and fight the players? That is pretty shallow, especially for a recurring character.

First, is he a real pirate or a privateer? As a pirate he fights for his own goal, as privateer he was authorized to raid ships by some nation. Second, decide how the pirate operates. From your description he is a rather offensive pirate, going in guns blazing with a fleet to raid ships and ports. That is a rather uncommon way of pirates to act (most preferred to use false flags to get close and intimidate badly armed merchants into surrendering than to actually fight anything that can hurt them) but not totally unheard off. Third, write down the pirates code or laws (if he has any). Most famous pirates were actually democratically elected by the crew and had several laws regulating the life on the ship, including the splitting of shares and also rules regarding prisoners and woman.

And finally, why is the pirate attacking the PCs multiple times?

Remove ads