• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Recurring silly comment about Apocalypse World and similar RPGs

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
There is a real issue with PbtA games that are not Apocalypse World assuming high level knowledge of how AW functions in their texts. Particularly when it comes to the process of running the game. A lot of games just give you principles and a list of GM Moves, but they do not provide the high level instructions on how soft moves and hard moves work, how not to always pick the hardest move possible, etc. I think Apocalypse World, Masks and Monsterhearts do a fairly good job, but there are a number of games that really need to put more work into the text.

hawkeyefan

Legend
Having already ordered DW, are the use of fronts widely used in other PbtA games?

Many PbtA games have so e sinilar type of mechanic. Threats or Doom or something that’s similar but may work slightly differently.

If you dig Dungeon World, but are unsure about anything, I’d recommend picking up Apocalypse World. It has much more complete guidance and would probably enhance your understanding of DW quite a bit.

niklinna

satisfied?
Because "if you do it, you do it" is not actually all that clear. It doesn't actually tell you how to do it. And I'd wager a lot of PbtA games just happen with the GM handing the players the playbooks to look through (since it's not like they need to look through lists of skills or spells or whatever) and with a list of what the player moves do, not with the players reading the book.
Well, the text goes on to tell you how to do it. But it starts with the catchphrase, and people latch on to that, and, repeated without the rest of the text to back up the catchphrase, people seeing it out of context roll their eyes. I'm one of those people; I think it's a terrible catchphrase—because without the supporting context it's a bare tautology that explains nothing. But the rest of the text is a great explanation of how to enact it.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Well, the text goes on to tell you how to do it. But it starts with the catchphrase, and people latch on to that, and, repeated without the rest of the text to back up the catchphrase, people seeing it out of context roll their eyes. I'm one of those people; I think it's a terrible catchphrase—because without the supporting context it's a bare tautology that explains nothing. But the rest of the text is a great explanation of how to enact it.
Right but, as I said, most players probably aren't reading the book, and if they ask for help online, they get often snotty answers about how self-evidently true it is without anyone explaining it.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Right but, as I said, most players probably aren't reading the book, and if they ask for help online, they get often snotty answers about how self-evidently true it is without anyone explaining it.
Yeah, I definitely have detected an undercurrent of arrogance from some portions of that community, especially the ones who imply that they used to be fans of traditional gaming and have "evolved" past it.

Remove ads