• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Red Hand of Doom 4.0

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
another bump

Ok, I was following this a long time ago...thinking of beginning with this or Rise of the Runelords as my 1st 4e campaign.

As it turns out I did neither. I have created (well I stole one) 3 different 4e campaigns and we are now looking for our 4th...and this is when I dredged up this thread.

Again I am deciding b/w Red Hand of Doom and Rise of the Runelords. I would go with the latter, but I am worried of the mature nature of the adventures (given my 7 year old son sits in and 'plays' a character).

So, I have come back to RHoD, as it features a lot of draconic themes (something our group loved in our short Dragon Sea campaign).

So is anyone still following this? Did a full PDF get updated? Has someone compiled this in a wiki/blog/website etc?

Has someone done a conversion since the release of all the '2' books?

If I choose to do this I will be doing it myself (with help from the above...if I find the time to sift through it all).

C

DragoonLance

First Post
I had been working on a conversion until I decided to run War of the Burning Sky instead. I did manage to update the members of the Horde (Appendix 1) to 4e, if it's any help. I'll post it if you want it.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Any more conversions would be welcome - especially some that make use of the actual books, especially the #2 books.

I have the PDF conversion from earlier in the thread, but it relies on very early 4e material.

Of course, I love convering myself, and will be happy to do so, but I do so much more randomly than most. (I don't try to make sure every encounter is at the level of the party for eg).

I am just wondering what else is out there now that 4e has been around a while (and this thread began before its release.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
RHoD for Golarion

Just wondering whether anyone has set the Red hand of Doom in Paizo's Golarion setting.

(Just rolling some random setting stuff and Golarion appeared).

So any thoughts on the placement of Elsir Vale in there?

Cheers, C

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
OK - trying to revive this thread again ;)

I am about 1/2 way through a 4E Red Hand of Doom campaign. We are having a blast. Thanks heaps to those that contributed to the PDF. It is a very good guide to use, though I have written up several creatures myself and made a lot more use of variant goblinoids etc - esp now that MM3 is out and there are a LOT of choices.

I have used a lot of the PDF creatures (though found their defenses high), though not always as intended. I have redone Wracklegnaw and Varanthian for eg after more fomorians became available and the behirs.

Anyone else actually get a 4E version of this underway? (We are in the Ghostlord's lair).

Merlin the Tuna

First Post
I really don't think that 4E mechanics can do justice to this excellent adventure.
Having run a portion of the adventure in 3.5E, I can say that the 4E minion mechanics alone are making my current run much better than the 3.5E attempt. Now does anyone have any fire or acid handy for our friend here?

Anywho, I am indeed in the midst of a 4E run through RHoD, and despite a couple weaknesses in the adventure itself (mainly in providing hooks in Act 1 to steer the party towards Act 2 -- the adventure seems to assume that the PCs make some very specific conclusions when they see Koth's map), it's been going really well; we just wrapped up Act 1.

Unfortunately, since my party is pretty different (3 PCs starting at level 2), I haven't used much of the content from this thread and have had to homebrew all of the monsters. That isn't a huge loss though, since it's been pretty easy to slap together most enemies, and I'm not a tremendous fan of certain encounter compositions in the adventure to begin with. I will say that I used a lot of the hydra ideas that were posted here though, so thanks to everyone involved in that.

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
I really don't think that 4E mechanics can do justice to this excellent adventure.

Maybe you just need a better dm. 1e, 2e, 3e, 4e, 0e or CustomE, any set of rules can handle any adventure if the person behind the screen is a skilled gamemaster.

I was running RHoD towards the end of 3e, and the group broke up (everyone moved or had kids), but I've glanced at it with 4e in mind and I don't see any real issues.

Shazman

Banned
Banned
I do know that I played through Red Hand of Doom in 3.5, and it was one of the best adventures I had ever played through. 4E has a very different feel from earlier editions, and I'm not sure 4E can capture the essence of Red Hand of Doom. I could be wrong, but that's my general impression.

Remove ads