Red Hand of Doom - Total Recap!

Marquis de Sade

First Post
Thursday in 2 days time we will finally start out with the Red Hand of Doom adventure. After having played Sons of Gruumsh for several months, the group is now ready to move down south to the Misty Vale in Faerun. Misty Vale is where Elsir Vale is set in the FRCS. The players will use the sea-fare letters they received from a noble house in Melvaunt to cross the Moonsea. Then they will join a merchants caravan bound for the south. A long and hardenous journey. The PCs will hear rumors of war the closer they get to Misty Vale.

I have instructed my players that only 4 main PCs at 5-6th level are allowed. They may also use 2 cohorts at 1st level. These hirelings will also be played as PCs. We use this system to introduce new players and new PCs into the campaign.

The players are currently discussing their line-up, but I think it´s a good chance the group will be as follows:

PCs in Red Hand of Doom:

Main:

Ilzzt, Drow Fighter/Wizard, 5th/1st
Geth Helder, Human Swashbuckler/Fighter/Dervish, 3rd/2nd/1st
Anor, Elven Ranger, 6th
Eruan, Elven Warmage, 4th

Cohorts:

Falrinn, Svirfneblin Druid, 2nd
Vrinn, Drow Rogue, 1st

Ilzzt, Geth Helder, and Anor are seasoned tough guys with heavy magic equipment and they will be the backbone of the group. Eruan is getting there and warmages are very combat-able. Falrinn might not hold his own in battle, but his sneaky abilities always gives him the opportunity to retreat unnoticed from dangerous encounters. Vrinn who will be introduced at first level ofcourse run the biggest risk here.

The Half-Orc Cleric/Fighter Durth who courageously charged Thrull in the adventure Sons of Gruumsh and died in battle will most probably be resurrected. The players have set 12.000 gp aside to aid that cause. The player who runs Durth will be buzy the next couple of weeks though, so Durth might join in later. When and if he does, one of the other main PCs will have to leave the group. But that´s ok as Ilzzt, Geth Helder, and Anor are all played by the same player. Also, the Air Genasi Ranger Arranos will join in later. Again one of the main PCs played by the multi-PC player will have to leave the group. Finally, Eluard, a Cleric/Church Inquisitor 5th/1st, is on stand by. Since RHoD is an open campaign module I will allow the players to change lineup at various parts in the adventure.

The players will buy equipment and supplies and then board a ship bound for southern Moonsea. Soon the next adventure will begin. Will the heroes of Xûl-Jarak be able to halt the advancing forces of the Red Hand of Doom?

NB! Please feel free to join in this thread with comments, questions, and anecdotes from your own gaming experiences of the Red Hand of Doom adventure!

Marquis de Sade

First Post
Marauder Attack!

So, the heroes are back in Melvaunt having defeated the Orc Warlord Thrull and his plans to unite the orctribes of Thar (Sons of Gruumsh). They spend a couple of weeks resting, training and resupplying. The letter they found in the orc citadel Xûl-Jarak is indeed worrysome and hints of war in the south of Faerun. In a place called Misty Vale (Elsir Vale). The heroes know that they must travel to Misty Vale to inform the inhabitants of this lurking danger. They use the letter of credit they got from one of the noble families as a ticket for one of the ships that cross the Moonsea and head south through the Dragon Reach and continues to cross the gigantic Sea of Fallen Stars. They continue south through the Vilhon Reach and sail down the river Nagaflow and the lake Nagawater. After many weeks at sea they end up in Ormpetarr, a town on the trade route the Golden Road. There they enlist as guards for a caravan heading further south and eventually they pass Lake Lhespen (Lake Rhest) and enter the Misty Vale.

As they get closer to the vale they hear stories of war from people they meet. It seems that war is urgent and the small towns in the valley are trying to prepare for it. But as the heroes travel through villages and towns it is obvious that these peaceful farming communities are not used to defend themselves. The militias being set up look incompetent and weak. The adventurers are not comforted by what they see.

The heroes are:

Eluard, Aasimar Cleric/Church Inquisitor, 5th/1st
Anor, Elven Ranger, 6th
Eruan, Elven Warmage, 4th
Falrinn, Svirfneblin Druid, 2nd
Vrinn, Drow Rogue, 1st

We play with Geth Helder, Eluard, Anor, and Eruan as main characters, and use Falrinn and Vrinn as cohorts. They are low-level PCs played by new players. This is a method we use to introduce new players and new PCs into our campaign. RHoD is designed for 4 PCs of 5th-6th level so our main PCs are spot on.

As the players enter the woods just north of Drellin´s Ferry, they are victims of a well-staged and fierce ambush. Arrows rain down on them from fortified positions up in the tree-crowns, as the PCs franticly get ready for battle. They were lucky with their spot checks though. Only Geth Helder was surprised. But he rolls a high initiative instead. As did I the DM! The RHoD warriors are disciplined and trained. They know their targets. They fire primarily against the spellcasters and the point man Anor who carries a visible gigantic Mighty Hunting Composite Longbow +3 (+3 Str). They score several hits on Anor, Eruan, and Eluard, but no serious damage. The Hellhounds rush out from the undergrowth and breaths fire on Anor and Eluard. Anor starts feeling the pressure as he gets hit again by arrows from the snipers. Anor takes off into the trees trying to get cover. Eruan pounds the enemy marksmen with his offensive spells Magic Missile, Snowball Storm, and Lesser Acid Orb. Farlinn summons his natures allies wardog and uses his animal companion, an owl, to distract enemy shooters. The enemy Cleric fails with Hold Person and Command. The low DCs being no problem for lucky players and experienced heroes! But it´s a tough battle that lingers on. Eluard starts using his spells to boost hitpoints and with Prayer he boost their rolls +1 and at the same time lower enemies rolls -1. Vrinn is starting to get low on arrows, having only 10 arrows total. The enemy Blade Bearer scores a few hits but then misses a lot. I guess he was nervous when he saw his comrades fall. ;) The heroes take out the Hellhounds pretty easy, and when also the enemy Cleric falls they are in control of the situation. Eruan is brutally effective with his spells that kill a lot of enemy troops. Anor can fire 3 arrows per round (rapid shot) and started taking out the snipers in the trees. When our session ended only 3 enemy marksmen remained up in the trees. The battle already won.

But with victory comes many questions. Have the enemy already built up blockades and ambush-sites around the Misty Vale? Where is the enemy army located? Are they near? How much time do the heroes have to prepare for war? Where is Vraath Keep where the alledged commander Wyrmlord Koth resides?

Hopefully next session will provide a few answers!

To be continued!

Marquis de Sade

First Post
Drellins Ferry

So, finally we´re back in business!

These were the heroes of last session:

Geth Helder, Human Swashbuckler/Fighter/Dervish, 3rd/2nd/1st (6th)
Anor, Elven Ranger, 6th
Eluard, Aasimar Cleric/Church Inquisitor, 5th/1st (6th)
Vrinn, Drow Rogue, 1st
Isilwen, Elven Wizard, 1st

The other guys couldn´t make it this session. The situation is that the heroes have just won the battle against the marauders. They took one prisoner, a hobgoblin, and brought him to Drellins Ferry.

The PCs made a very good first impression on the local authorities, with "27" and "22" Diplomacy checks. They gained the trust of Soranna the Guard Captain, and Norro Wiston, Town Speaker. They put the hobgoblin in jail and informed the town council that a huge enemy army is on march towards Drellins Ferry.

Geth Helder started interrogating the hobgoblin since he speaks goblin. By using "Bluff" he gained a lot of info. Geth managed 5 succesful Bluff attempts! He found out that Wyrmlord Koth is the commander and that his base is nearby, in the ruins of Vraath Keep. Less than a days travel by foot. They also found out that the RHoD are about to invade the entire valley and that Drellins Ferry is first out! Geth found out that the army consists of thousands of troops and also monsters like dragons, manticores, and giants.

The players started getting noticably nervous now. They left the goblin in jail and started studying the map of the ferry-town. They asked the town council about their forces and guardposts. When they were informed that they consist of less than a hundred troops, most of whom are poorly trained militias, they showed signs of despair. Nevertheless the PCs started preparing a defensive warplan! They told the town council that they should build defensive walls and protective cover along the eastern shore. As protection from enemy missile fire and making it more difficult to cross the river. The PCs also instructed the council to build huge stacks of wooden fuel, so they can use fire and smoke to signal for an evacuation very quickly. They also asked the ferry-owners to prepare to destroy and the ferry very quickly when need be. The PCs asked the council to send messengers with fast horses to the neighbouring towns, informing them as well that war is about to come. Finally, they instructed the council to inform the citizens to prepare for a fast evacuation as soon as possible.

I was impressed by my players fast realisation that an evacuation is the only realistic way to deal with this. I will also award them the appropriate XP for this!

My players also got to hear a rumour about a spy in town. First they suspected the Dwarven smith, since they heard he had some kind of religious stuff going on in his shack. But after they found out about Wyrmlord Koth being less than a day away, they got busy with making plans for that. However, I am sure they will deal with the spy-rumour as soon as they have time.

The players have been befriending most of the significant NPCs by now: the Halfling Wizard Sestrieren, the Cleric Brother Derny, the Guard Captain Anitah Sorannah, and the Town Speaker Norro Wiston. Bringing a hobgoblin prisoner with them, and the great success with Diplomacy has made them very popular in town.

Next session will probably see my players taking on Wyrmlord Koth. I will be back as soon as next session is over. :)

I'm playing in a version of Red Hand, and I'm always interested in hearing how things are going in others' games. We've made it as far as the Ghostlord, so I should be able to read for a while without any real spoilers.

Marquis de Sade

First Post
Attack at Vraath Keep

Enter Tatanka. The heroes encounter a Human Ranger 1st level that is being introduced by our new player Stefan L. Tatanka´s favorite enemy is Goblinoids and he carries a Might Comp. Longbow Str +2. He has the feats Point Blank Shot and Precise Shot. He also carries 20 arrows +1.

The heroes wake up at dawn. They visit the wizard Sertieren to pick up their scrolls of Fireball that they commissioned the night before. They also talked to Capt. Soranna. "Our mission is clear" they told her. "We will go to Vraath Keep and kill or capture Wyrmlord Koth".

It´s a sunny and dry day. The PCs walking the Old North Road up north towards the keep are:

Anor, Elven Ranger, 6th
Tatanka, Human Ranger, 1st

Halfway to the keep they encounter the remnants of the marauders they took out the day before. The bodies are severed by animals, but the players are happy to see that apparently no one from the RHoD have discovered the bodies. They start digging to get rid of the bodies. Suddenly a flock of Stirges sweep down from the trees. The PCs are surprised and the horrible bloodsuckers drain them of their blood. Ilzzt looses 7 Con (!) and feels weak all over...He looses about 50% of his Hps as well. Disaster struck on their way to this important battle! But they know they must move on.

As they approached Vraath Keep they heard a moaning sound that seemed to come from the tower. They also saw a Worgrider patrolling the perimeter of the glade where the keep was situated. They also noticed 2 Hobgoblin guards by the main entrance. As the Worgrider rode closer the Worg seemed to pick up their scent. First he stopped, and then he moved slowly towards the trees where the PCs hid. The PCs carefully stepped deeper into the forest hoping to lure the Worgrider to follow. And he did. As the Worg was swallowed by the dense leaves the PCs fired their arrows. They slew the Worg, but the Worgrider managed to get away. Atleast a couple of feet before he also was struck down by arrows. But he managed to cry for help and the PCs noticed movement by the gate. They withdrew, preparing to fight the next day instead.

Eluard, the Aasimar Cleric, said a prayer for Lesser Restoration after their 8 tranquile hours of rest. The group was now almost completely healed from the bloodloss of the stirges. They circled around Vraath Keep trying to find another entrance from behind. It was a deep night, but Ilzzt, the drow, could see a huge hole on the second floor of the tower. He also saw yellow light and they heard a moaning sound again...

Ilzzt drank a potion of Fly and flew up into the tower. He saw the corpse and identified the Continual light. The players started to believe that the rumor they heard in Drellins Ferry about Vraath Keep being haunted may be true. "Perhaps we can set the ghost free so Koth and his minions must flee" one player suggested. I smiled viciously.....
Ilzzt also heard a voice from downstairs muttering something in a strange language. He hears a very low and heavy voice replying. He identifies the last word in the sentence as "Koth".

Assured that Wyrmlord Koth wis nearby Ilzzt flew back to his comrades hiding in the trees. Now they all swallowed potions of Fly, or activated the Griffon Rings that they got from their friends in Melvaunt during Sons of Gruumsh. They all flew up to to the tower. They all heard voices from downstairs.

The players were now starting to realize the importance of their next decision. They were sure that they could achieve surprise. After several minutes of contemplating and discussions, they charged downstairs full speed. Ilzzt ws followed by the Swashbuckler Geth Helder, and then Eluard the Cleric. As Ilzzt flew down the stairs, Karkilan, the Minotaur bodyguard of Koth, was waiting for him. He swung his greataxe but Ilzzt´s quick reflexes made him miss! Bricks fell down from the wall behind due to the heavy impackt Karkilan made! Ilzzt´s player was all white in face. He knew he could be killed by one of those mighty blows. But that was not all! Wyrmlord Koth stood right opposite Ilzzt and fired his Lightning Bolt spell. He penetrated Ilzzt´s Spell Resistance but again Ilzzt´s agility saved him. He only took half damage.

Unfortunately it´s 2 am IRL and we were all very tired. So we paused the game there with the following initiative order:

Wyrmlord Koth 16, Karkilan 15, Ilzzt 10 (next to act), Geth Helder 9, Anor 8, Tatanka 7, Eluard 5.

All players managed low initiative rolls. One funny thing is that the new PC Taranka, shot 4 shots, hit 4 times and killed 3 enemies! (2 Stirges, 1 Worgrider). The new player was all smiles when he left the session tonight!!! :)

I guess we could have played on for another hour or so, but the players didn´t want to play this battle out tired. They realize the dangerous opposition here and need to focus.

Next session is on Tuesday 2 days from now.

To be continued.....

Marquis de Sade

First Post
Battle at Vraath Keep

Thanks guys! I will post as often as possible. Actually I have athread at Wizards boards and I copy it here too. If you want to read more you can also go there:

http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=642066

As I said earlier we played Sons of Gruumsh before RHoD. After RHoD we will continue with the might epic City of the Spiderqueen. These 3 adventures go hand in hand regarding PC-levels.

Now back to the story and the Heroes of the Valley:

The heroes have encountered a Bugbear Sorcerer believed to be Wyrmlord Koth, and his bodyguard Karkilan the minotaur. Since the players sneaked up from behind, using the hole in the tower, they have encountered these two without the other goblinoids. In what seems to be a good position to strike. Unfortunately the enemy were ready for combat and Ilzzt got struck with a Lightning Bolt for 11 damage, and almost got hit by Karkilans powerful Greataxe as well. :]

I know my players are nervous for this session, they just told me on msn messenger. But I also know they really want to capture or kill Koth really bad! So they won´t retreat until things are really, really bad.

The session:

Ilzzt parried the mighty blow of the Minotaur Karkilan and counterstroke with amazing speed, cuting a deep wound in the Minotaurs chest. Behind Ilzzt his friend Geth Helder used tumble to pass through into the room, trying to reach Wyrmlord Koth with his Dervish Dance and magic Corrosive scimitars.

I added a level of Fighter to Karkilan as it seemed unlikely that Wyrmlord Koth´s personal bodyguard would be an average Minotaur. :]

Anor and Tatanka tried to get line of sight with their bows, but only Anor could see Karkilan behind the wall-cover. Eluard the Cleric used spells as Prayer and Blessed Aim to aid his friends in battle.

Wyrmlord Koth shouted in goblin to Karkilan: "The map, I must get the map! Hold them while I secure the map!". This was a mistake as he was unaware that Geth Helder speaks goblin.

And the battle continued fiercly.....Ilzzt avoided Karkilans mighty blows once more, and cut him again and again and again with his scimitars. But Ilzzt´s player was starting to get nervous. Karkilan was still standing and he knew that one good hit from the Minotaur might drop him. So Eluard used Hold Monster to try and freeze him.

At the same time Koth had alarmed his minions, and a Worgrider charged into the room attacking Geth Helder. Another 3 Hobgoblin Veterans stormed in and fired their bows on the PCs. Koth ran away, and Geth tried to follow, desperately realizing the importance of the map! However, he was surrounded by the minions and failed.

Karkilan failed his save vs Hold Person and Anor killed him with a coup de grace. However, the Manticore had landed behind Taranka up in the tower and fired his spikes into him. With 42 damage the brave Taranka was killed instantly. The Manticore advanced further, now attacking Anor in the back. He got hit for 29 damage and the players were now surrounded. However, Geth Helder dropped a Hobgoblin and tumbled to the other side of the room, trying to help out his friend Anor with the Manticore. Eventually he cut into the Manticores body, his magically corrosive scimitars eating into the flesh of the creature. The Manticore was badly wounded and retreated flying into the dark night. Wyrmlord Koth entered flying and struck Geth Helder with a Lightning Bolt for 24 damage. Geth was now badly wounded, but the cowardly Koth retreated when the Drow Ilzzt came running towards him.

So both Koth and the Manticore retreated into the dark of the night. Eluard summoned a Celestial Hippogriff and the heroes battled it out with the Worg, Goblin Worgrider, and 3 Hobgoblin Veterans. The Worg dropped and the Goblin Worgrider retreated together with the Goblin Veterans. They used ranged attacks with their bows and took cover behind boulders and objects in the barracks. The heroes followed suit but each side missed a lot of shots. But finally a Hobgoblin droped followed by another. When the third and final so dropped, the Goblin Worgrider took off. At the same time Ilzzt drank a potion of Invisibility and flew just outside of the barracks. With his 120 ft darkvision he could see Wyrmlord Koth and the Manticore flying and circling above. In his hand, Ilzzt had a scroll of Fireball....

To be continued!

Please do also check out my players War-Room at

http://www.rhodhq.blogspot.com/

This is where the session ended and it just can´t get anymore exciting than this!!!

Next session will probably be a marathon session on Sunday from 10 am to 3 am following morning. Following Tuesday is the session after that, so we will play a lot these couple of days

Marquis de Sade

First Post
Returning to Drellin´s Ferry

The heroes are batteling Wyrmlord Koth, a high ranking RHoD commander based at Vraath Keep. By his side is a Manticore.

The heroes are:

Anor, Elven Ranger, 6th

Kerkilan and the other minions of Wyrmlord Koth managed to hold up the PCs so Koth had time to get the important map and activate his magic. Especially Mage Armor, Shield, and Fly.

So as we initiated the session, Koth and the Manticore are flying just outside the main entrance to the barracks (building 8 on the map) about 60´up. Its pitch black outside, middle of the night. The problem is that the group´s main sniper, Anor, doesnt have darkvision. But Eluard uses Luminous Armor on himself and steps outside to lighten up the sky. As he did, Koth immediately fired his readied Lightning Bolt and the Manticore fired a volley of 6 spikes. The Cleric got badly wounded but still standing.

Ilzzt also rushed out. With a scroll of Fireball in hand. With his armor there is a 35% arcane spell failure...The player wants to hit Koth and rolls the dice...."21". The spell fizzles and he looses it. The players are now getting nervous that Koth will escape with the map. Anor steps out and fires 3 arrows with his Rapid Shot feat. He hits 2 times, wounding Koth pretty badly. Geth Helder uses his Fly to get in contact with Koth. The Wyrmlord retreats slowly and tries Blindness on Geth, but the agile hero makes his Fort-save. So Koth takes off and is being chased by the group. The Manticore gets chopped into pieces by Geth Helder and his 4 full-round action attacks!

Anor continues to fire his +3 Mighty Composite Longbow with strength +3 bonus. A shower of arrows over the Wyrmlord, and Ilzzt flies up with a charge. The Wyrmlord is dead before his body hits the ground 60 feet below. The group has striken an early important blow against the RHoD.

Wyrmlord Koth is dead. :(

As they search through the Keep they find important notes and letters that Koth has received from his surrounding forces. Geth Helder speaks Goblin and can translate it. There is however one particular document that they cant read. Its written in a language unknown to the group. They bring it with them, convinced of its importance. Perhaps they can translate it later. As they search Koth´s body they also find the very important map. The players studied it carefully for several minutes. They were shocked to see that Drellins Ferry was to be hit on "Day 5" according to Koth´s notes. We are in day 4 in the adventure...But ofcourse, they are not certain that the horde has started marching yet...

The players also found the secret trapdoor and climbed down. As they see the fallen soldier, they get panicked over traps. Everybody starts crawling over the floor and pressing the ground with the tip of their swords...But no trap is there to be found.

Aware of the pressing time, they head back to Drellins Ferry towards the late, late night. Dawn is just a few hours away. As they cross the causeway, they notice reptilian-like heads move in the water below. The Hydra raises to attack! As they have wasted a lot of spells, scrolls and stuff at Vraath Keep, they kind of freak out now! And Eluard only rolls a "4" on initiative. The 3 other guys push on, Ilzzt activates his Drow special-ability "Darkness" to cover their retreat. But the Hydra uses its scent ability to attack Eluard. He gets hit 3 times and drops to only 9 hitpoints. As he retreats north, split up from the rest of the group, the others attack the Hydra. They attack its main body since no-one has "Improved Sunder" to severe the heads. They pound it with attacks and damage, but the Hydra´s regenerate 16 it´s tough ...But eventually they fell the huge beast. They search the wagon out in the swamp but dont find anything of interest.

As they return into Drellins Ferry early the next day they immediately meet up with Norro Wiston (the town speaker) and the other members of the ruling council. All except Iormel who was away on business elsewhere. The PCs inform the council on the current situation. They still seem to be a bit shocked and when Geth Helder tells them to prepare an immediate evacuation, the council turns totally quiet. The players are suspitious about a spy they think is living in town, so they also choose not to show everybody at the council Wyrmlord Koth´s map. Only Norro Wiston gets to see it. When they are talking alone to him they also inform him that Skull Gorge Bridge is a strategic bottle-neck and that they are first going to go north again trying to observe the horde at Cinder Hill. Then they will try and take out the bridge itself. :]

To be continued....

Marquis de Sade

First Post
Skull Gorge Bridge

Tonight we played a full lenght session. I will use this new format in my recaps:

Session playing time: 6 hours (17:00-23:00)
Player Characters: 5

Anor, Elven Ranger, 6th
Arranos, Air Genasi Ranger, 5th
Milton Gerosh, Human Warlock, 1st

Enter Milton Gerosh, a new PC. Milton Gerosh is a friend of Arranos, who is an old friend of the group. Arranos was a part of the group of heroes who took out the orcs in "Sons of Gruumsh". He has joined his friends to defend the Elsir Vale against the goblinoids. Old friends reunite. Arranos Favored Enemy is ofcourse Goblinoids!

After the meeting with the Town Council a sad feeling settles over Drellins Ferry. The citizens are now aware that they might have to evacuate their beloved town. Not only do the witness from the group of heroes put heavy weights on their shoulders, but all the documents and Koth´s war-map are evidence of the sinister plot of the goblinoid masses.

There is however one document that they cant interpret. Sestriere The Wizard tells them that it´s written in Infernal and in code. The players look around the town for someone to crack it and Jarett Nurth the tradeswoman succesfully aids them. This document informs the players with the final clues of the RHoD´s plans. They find out that Wyrmlord Saarvith is in the old ruin city of Rhest, and that Wyrmlord Havrek Kharn leads the main body of the army. Wyrmlord Ulwai Stormcaller seems to be away on a secret mission. They also understand that the goblinoids have powerful monsters in their army such as Giants and Dragons...

The players start discussing detailed plans for how to encounter this threat. They plan several submissions:

1) Destroy the Skull Gorge Bridge to prevent the horde from easy access to Drellins Ferry and Elsir Vale
2) Try to build an alliance with the Forest Giants of the Witchwood
3) Find Jorr the Ranger and see if he has any aid to offer
4) Find and kill or catch the other Wyrmlords
5) Convince the Town Council to evacuate the town as soon as possible
6) Try to locate the main body of the goblinoid army

The players start preparing for their missions by resupplying and talking to as many NPCs as possible in town. They get fast horses and some magic items from the town wizard and cleric. They also ask Town Speaker Norro Wiston to call for an official meeting to rule on the future of the town. The players inform Wiston that a full and immediate evacuation is the only possible alternative under these pressing circumstances.

At the Town Council meeting Delora Zann agrees with the PCs request. But they need another 2 votes to reach the 3/5 majority rule. The PCs start working on Norro Wiston. Eluard uses Diplomacy together with "Aid another" from his friends and with a "28" check he persuades the Town Speaker to also agree. Then they turn to the Guard Captain Soranna Anitah. Eluard uses his superb Diplomacy again and with "24" she also joins this stance. Iormel, the wealthy landowner storms out of the meeting in protest. Kellin ,the Halfling who owns the major inn in town, lays down his vote. The PCs have succeeded in convincing the Council to evacuate Drellins Ferry with Brindol the set destination for the refugees.

The players are still vary of a reported spy in town. They dont seem to trust anyone except Norro Wiston at this moment. They have expressed questions particularly against Capt Soranna Anitah, Jarred Nurth, and Sestrieren. Even though they allowed Sestrieren to help them with the important document written in Infernal. Also, Jarred Nurth cracked the code using Decipher Script.

In the afternoon the heroes rode north to destroy Skull Gorge Bridge. They know their actions will mean life or death for many of the citizens of Elsir Vale. They camped just a few miles south of the bridge, wanting to reach it early next dawn.

As they approached the bridge next dawn they could see from a distance that it is heavily guarded. My players eyes almost jumped out of their sockets as they saw a large Green Dragon, Hell Hounds and several tents.... :eek:

One player suggested just running for their lives and leave the bridge alone. Calling it "an impossible mission". Another player said that "we dont have to kill them all, rather just take out the bridge". They discussed using "Stoneshape" to undermine the bridge and hopefully make it collaps. Another player, the one playing the Warlock, wanted to use "Spiderclimb" to climb down in the canyon and walking on the walls, then walking onto under the bridge trying to destroy it somehow.

But its a well-built bridge, entirely in stone, and the players are kind of lost on how to take it out. We had to stop the session there as they wanted to plan this thoroughly. I fully understand them! This was an entire session without any violence or combat, but still great fun! We used intense roleplaying, discussions, skill checks as Diplomacy, Sense Motive, Knowledge History, Knowledge Nature, and other social skills.

To be continued....

Remove ads