• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Redblade D&D 3.5e Character Creation tool updated

HalWhitewyrm

First Post
daan said:
On that note, I'm unfamiliar with statblocks. Can anyone point me to an rfc/definition/examples of a statblock, preferably what formats are generally used?
Take a look at any adventure and look at the description of an NPC or monster: that is a statblock. Below are two examples, based on the statblock used by WotC (also known as the standard statblock)

Non-classed creatures

Non-classed creature's name (#): CR #; Size and template (# ft. tall or long); HD #d#+#; hp #; Init # (Init modifiers); Spd # ft.; AC # (AC modifiers); Atks +# melee (damage [crit info if not 20/x2] [qty if greater than 1], attack type), +# ranged (damage, attack type); Face/Reach list if other than 5 ft. x 5 ft./5 ft.; SA short descriptions of special attacks, complex attacks go below; SQ Short descriptions of special defenses, complex Qualities go below; SR spell resistance value; AL alignment; SV Fort +#, Ref +#, Will +#. ----Str #, Dex #, Con #, Int #, Wis #, Cha #. ----Skills: list skills and values. Feats: list feats. ----SA: Type--Type explained. Type--Type explained. ----SQ: Type--Type explained. Type--Type explained. ----Equipment: Stuff, more stuff, items, more items.

Examples
Zombies (3): CR 0.5; Medium Undead (6 ft. tall); HD 2d12; hp 9 (each); Init -2 (Dex); Spd 30 ft.; AC 13 (+ 1 Dex, +2 natural); Atks +2 melee (1d6+1, buffet); SQ May only take Partial Actions in any given round, undead immunities; AL N; SV Fort +0, Ref +1, Will +2 ----Str 13, Dex 10, Con --, Int --, Wis 10, Cha 11. ----Feats: Toughness. ----SQ: Undead Immunities--Immune to mind- influencing effects, poison, sleep, paralyzation, stunning, disease, and necromantic effects. Not subject to critical hits, sneak attacks, ability damage, ability drain, or energy drain. Immune to anything requiring a Fort save (see MM for more info).

Xill (2): CR 6; Medium Outsider (6 ft. tall); HD 5d8+10; hp 32 each; Init +7 (Dex, improved Init); Spd 40 ft.; AC 20 (+7 natural, +3 Dex); Atks +7 melee (1d6+1 [crit 19-20] [x2], shortswords; 1d4+1 [x2], claws) or +7 melee (1d4+1 [x4], Claws) or +8 ranged (1d8 [crit x3] [x2], longbows); SA grab, poison; SQ planewalking; SR 21; AL LE; SV Fort +6, Ref +7, Will +5. ----Str 15, Dex 16, Con 15, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 11. ----Skills: Escape Artist +11, Intuit Direction +6, Listen +9, Move Silently +11, Spot +9, Tumble +11; Feats: Improved Initiative. ----SA: Grab--Grab explained briefly. Poison-- Poison explained briefly. ----SQ: Planewalking--Planewalking explained briefly.

Classed Creatures

Classed creature's name, gender and race and Class and level: CR #; Size & template (# ft. tall); HD #d#+# + Class #d#+#; hp #; Init # (IN modifiers); Spd # ft.; AC # (AC modifiers); Atks +# melee (damage [crit info if not 20/x2] [qty if greater than 1], attack type), +# ranged (damage, attack type); Face/Reach list if other than 5 ft. x 5 ft./5 ft.; SA short descriptions of special attacks, complex attacks go below; SQ Short descriptions of special defenses, complex Qualities go below; SR spell resistance value; AL alignment; SV Fort +#, Ref +#, Will +#. ----Str #, Dex #, Con #, Int #, Wis #, Cha #. ----Skills: list skills and values; Feats: list feats. ----SA: Type--Type explained. Type--Type explained. ----SQ: Type--Type explained. Type--Type explained. ----Equipment: Stuff, more stuff, items, more items.

Example
Skurge Dwarfbane, male troll Bbn3: CR 8; Large Giant (8 ft. tall); HD 6d6+36 + 3d12+18; hp 101; Init +6 (Dex, Improved Initiative); Spd 40 ft.; AC 18 (+7 natural, +2 Dex, -1 size); Atks +9 melee (1d6+6 [x2], claws), +9 melee (1d6+3, bite) or +9 melee (1d12+9 [crit x3], greataxe); Face/Reach 5 ft. x 5 ft./10 ft.; SA Bbn rage 1/day, rend; SQ Bbn uncanny dodge, regeneration, Scent (detects living creatures within 30 ft.); AL CN; SV Fort +14, Ref +3, Will +5. ----Str 23, Dex 14, Con 23, Int 6, Wis 10, Cha 6. ----Skills: Jump +8, Listen +5, Spot +5. Feats: Alertness, Improved Initiative, Iron Will. ----SA: Rend--Rend described briefly. Bbn range--describe briefly. ----SQ: Uncanny dodge--describe briefly. Regeneration--Troll regeneration described briefly. ----Equipment: great-ax with three gems embedded in the handle (500 gp, 100 gp, and 50 gp respectively), large leather sack containing six severed dwarf heads (can be used as a large sap in a pinch, inflicting 1d10+9 points of subdual damage).

Off the top of my head I don't know if somewhere in the SRD there is an example of the statblock that you can use, but the above is good enough. You can see more examples with explanations of how to construct it at this URL
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=rpga/membership/writingformats
It is from the RPGA and it explains how to properly format adventures for RPGA submission (or Dungeon, for that matter) so the format is as official as it comes.

Hopes this helps. Once Redblade outputs in statblock, I don't think I will use anything else. :)

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Nice job Dan and thanks for helping Daan out. Anything that helps to improve this char gen I heartily approve of.

Allanon

Explorer
HalWhitewyrm said:
<SNIP>
Hopes this helps. Once Redblade outputs in statblock, I don't think I will use anything else. :)
Same goed for me, and another small request, pending the statblok addition is there someway to add and XML output? Would be great to use with my own custom character sheets.

mattcolville

Adventurer
I like redblade a lot. The only thing preventing my players and I from using it, is the wierdness of adding new races. I'd like to copy an existing race, rename the copy and modify it. Also, the special ability window gives me an error whenever I try to type into it.

dvvega

Explorer
Been doing some basic tests.

The War Domain does not give the bonus proficiencies in the deity's favoured weapon.

Essentially I would suggest running the same functionality you do when someone chooses martial weapon proficiency. That way it adds the feat as a bonus all set up.

Last edited:

dvvega

Explorer
dvvega said:

The War Domain does not give the bonus proficiencies in the deity's favoured weapon.

Essentially I would suggest running the same functionality you do when someone chooses martial weapon proficiency. That way it adds the feat as a bonus all set up.

I've found a partial method around this issue using the Domain Editor, however it performs in different ways dependent on the setup of the Domain

1) gives the Martial Weapon Proficiency and Weapon Focus feat with no specification if you give them as Free
2) does not give bonus feat slots if you put 2 into the Bonus Feat box in the domain
3) gives 2 standard feats if you add 2 in the feat box but doesn't restrict the choices made for those 2 feats

dvvega

Explorer
dvvega said:

I've found a partial method around this issue using the Domain Editor, however it performs in different ways dependent on the setup of the Domain

1) gives the Martial Weapon Proficiency and Weapon Focus feat with no specification if you give them as Free
2) does not give bonus feat slots if you put 2 into the Bonus Feat box in the domain
3) gives 2 standard feats if you add 2 in the feat box but doesn't restrict the choices made for those 2 feats

daan

First Post
Redblade 1.3.0.11 released :)

More bug fixes done. I hope to do some feature improvements soon. :)

Changes in 1.3.0.11

• Optimized customization section, it should be a lot easyer to use. I want to know what you think! :)
  • Removed 'Active Rulebook' option in both character generation and campaign customization.
  • Fixed wierd bug that allowed arrow-less lists to be adjusted as if they had arrows.
  • Changed Human Skill bonus to +1 per level for EACH class instead for only the first one.
  • Unarmed attacks are no longer printed in the inventory of your character sheet.
  • Equipped Weapons and shields are now printed in the inventory of your character sheet.
  • Material name is added on items constructed in the laboratory with special materials.
Changes in 1.3.0.10
  • Removed Ambidexterity feat
  • Fixed incorrect damage for additional weapon kits.
  • Disabled 'class abilities' tab for everything BUT class levels.
  • Customizing campaign settings allow negative skill ranks.
  • Fixed support feats for dwarven urgoshes and dwarven
  • battleaxes with martial feat classes.
  • Added bolts, arrows and bullets.
  • 'Domain affects' are added to class, not character.
  • The war domain now gives a bonus weapon focus and martial
  • weapon proficiency, so you can select your deities weapon.
  • Fixed Adding/removing synergy values in Customize part.

I'm going to list database changes seperately from this version on so you can update your own databases manually if needed.

Database changes:
  • Added Concentration as a class skill for sorcerers.
  • Key Ability Modifier for USE ROPE changed to DEX
  • Removed 'extra turning' from cleric's bonus feats.
  • Added 'weapon focus' and 'weapon finesse' to ranger feat lists.

Just a note: Bonuses that exist only in some un-standard situations are NOT calculated onto the character sheet: For example: Combat Casting isn't calculated, because it only counts while on the defensive, or when grappling or pinned.

Also, before reporting bonuses that are not getting applied, please check if you are trying to stack two unstackable bonuses.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads